Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

X5 compatible lenses - updated list

LSP

Reaction score
We've been looking for a definitive list of compatible lenses for the X5. There seem to be various incomplete lists around the web but the original post on this thread is gone (anyone screen grab it?), this one is locked and DJI's list is out of date now. So have started to pull together info from some different threads to make a fresh up to date list. If there are any errors in the details please make note. Will try to keep the first post updated as people add more info.

Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm/F3.5
156g
?

Olympus M.ZUIKO Digital ED 12mm F2.0
130g
Good all round wide angle
Requires 46mm balance ring or filter to balance

Panasonic Lumix G Vario 12-32mm f/3.5-5.6 ASPH
70g
?

Panasonic LUMIX G 14mm f/2.5 ASPH II
51g
?

Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 II ASPH. MEGA O.I.S.
108g
OIS does not function with X5
?

DJI MFT 15mm F1.7 ASPH
115g
Standard lens with X5

Panasonic Lumix G 15mm F/1.7 ASPH
115g
?

Olympus M.ZUIKO Digital ED 17mm F/1.8
117g

Olympus M.ZUIKO Digital ED 17mm F/2.8
72g
?

Olympus M.ZUIKO Digital ED 25mm F1.8
136g

Panasonic Lumix G 25mm F/1.7 ASPH
136g
?

Panasonic LUMIX G 42.5mm f/1.7 ASPH. POWER O.I.S.
133g
OIS does not function on X5

Olympus M.ZUIKO Digital ED 45mm F1.8
116g
Requires 37mm stepdown/balance ring or filter to balance
Some reports of jello or vibration issues

Olympus M.ZUIKO Digital ED 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 EZ
91g
Officially supported zoom
Requires 37mm stepdown/balance ring or filter to balance
Can be tricky to balance and produce smooth footage at top end and in any wind.

Panasonic LUMIX G VARIO 35-100mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH
135g
Confirmed compatible but major issues when balancing.

More lenses tbc.

Last edited:
LSP... have you tested Panasonic LUMIX G VARIO 35-100mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH? Does it work in all extension (from 35 extended to 100mm)? For correct balance would you consider total weight between 105 and 130 g? What weight should be considered for the filter?

Wonder has anyone tried Panasonic 42.5mm F1.7 OIS on it? it should be more stable than Olympus 45mm due to having OIS on it.

Reactions: RDTech
LSP... have you tested Panasonic LUMIX G VARIO 35-100mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH? Does it work in all extension (from 35 extended to 100mm)? For correct balance would you consider total weight between 105 and 130 g? What weight should be considered for the filter?

Havent tested this lens, no. Only tested the obvious 5 lenses and then just pulled together info from other threads and forums. The point of this thread was to allow people to report findings - Please test and report!

Last edited:
Reactions: DECinHSV
I have tried the 35-100. Required some trickery to get it balanced. Don't know if I was supposed to or not but I molded a lead weight of 49g flat to the back of the camera to compensate for the nose heavy nature of the setup (inc a UV filter). I was told it will overheat the motors but after a lot of testing the don't even warm up and it performs very well. Still cold after extensive flying. Note also that this lens will 'roll' the camera out of balance so another small weight like a washer is required on the tilt motor.

"have tried the 35-100. Required some trickery to get it balanced. Don't know if I was supposed to or not but I molded a lead weight of 49g flat to the back of the camera to compensate for the nose heavy nature of the setup (inc a UV filter). I was told it will overheat the motors but after a lot of testing the don't even warm up and it performs very well. Still cold after extensive flying. Note also that this lens will 'roll' the camera out of balance so another small weight like a washer is required on the tilt motor."

Any photographs fitted and photographs/screen grabs regarding image etc?

Wonder has anyone tried Panasonic 42.5mm F1.7 OIS on it? it should be more stable than Olympus 45mm due to having OIS on it.
The 42.5 Panasonic is the best lens available and is head and shoulders above the Oly 45. Use it with a circular polarizing filter or a variable ND and you'll almost never change it. BTW the IOS is inoperative on an X5.

I have tried the 35-100. Required some trickery to get it balanced. Don't know if I was supposed to or not but I molded a lead weight of 49g flat to the back of the camera to compensate for the nose heavy nature of the setup (inc a UV filter). I was told it will overheat the motors but after a lot of testing the don't even warm up and it performs very well. Still cold after extensive flying. Note also that this lens will 'roll' the camera out of balance so another small weight like a washer is required on the tilt motor.

Hi Niel, When i tested this lens I had the same experience balance wise however if anything other than straight and level lens orientation was used the motors could not handle controlling the additional weight and eventually overheated requiring a hand catch so the lens didn't dig in during landing.

Last edited:
I've tested all of the lenses on this list and a bunch not on it. Body cap lenses are far too light period. The Oly 9-18 unfortunately was too heavy, the non pancake 14-42s were also. The Pani 15mm is the DJI lens without any change but the engraving, the 20mm was too large in diameter, the 30mm macro was too heavy, the 42.5 f1.2 is arguable the best MFT lens made but is way too heavy though I love it on my GH4, the 42.5mm f1.7 is not far behind it and is arguably the best lens for the X5, the 45mm is way too heavy, the 25mm had the IOS slider interfere with the gimble, and the 35-100mm was also too heavy and unable to apply a balance that would solve the difference in balance required during different levels of zoom. I also tested with success the three Sigma lenses however not long after I upgraded to the 11-24 firmware I found the Sigma lenses would produce a heavily distorted image in the go app. I assumed DJI had prevented their use for reasons unknown. That may have changed as I have'nt retried. I will say I was very pleased with the results from them though the 60mm will eventually overheat the gimmble motors as it is actually too heavy. I am almost finished with the testing to add an 85mm or 170mm for our use. So far it's proving to be a great opertunity for those wishing to have the use of a telephoto lens though it is a manual focus solution. I'm still using the 1.4 firmware so I can't wait to see what others can do when digital zoom is applied to this combination.

Guys, just installed olympus 14-42mm on X5R and DJI GO app popup a message that the camera need firmware update. If I switch back to the stock lens there is no popup message and the status shows that all firmwares are up to date.
Why is that happening with this lens, I have olympus 25mm and it works without popup? where can I find the file update and how to install it?

"have tried the 35-100. Required some trickery to get it balanced. Don't know if I was supposed to or not but I molded a lead weight of 49g flat to the back of the camera to compensate for the nose heavy nature of the setup (inc a UV filter). I was told it will overheat the motors but after a lot of testing the don't even warm up and it performs very well. Still cold after extensive flying. Note also that this lens will 'roll' the camera out of balance so another small weight like a washer is required on the tilt motor."

Lots of great info here and good to hear the the 42.5 1.7 works. I read somewhere that the X5R can't use as many lenses as the X5. Does anyone know if this is true or not?

I've tested all of the lenses on this list and a bunch not on it. Body cap lenses are far too light period. The Oly 9-18 unfortunately was too heavy, the non pancake 14-42s were also. The Pani 15mm is the DJI lens without any change but the engraving, the 20mm was too large in diameter, the 30mm macro was too heavy, the 42.5 f1.2 is arguable the best MFT lens made but is way too heavy though I love it on my GH4, the 42.5mm f1.7 is not far behind it and is arguably the best lens for the X5, the 45mm is way too heavy, the 25mm had the IOS slider interfere with the gimble, and the 35-100mm was also too heavy and unable to apply a balance that would solve the difference in balance required during different levels of zoom. I also tested with success the three Sigma lenses however not long after I upgraded to the 11-24 firmware I found the Sigma lenses would produce a heavily distorted image in the go app. I assumed DJI had prevented their use for reasons unknown. That may have changed as I have'nt retried. I will say I was very pleased with the results from them though the 60mm will eventually overheat the gimmble motors as it is actually too heavy. I am almost finished with the testing to add an 85mm or 170mm for our use. So far it's proving to be a great opertunity for those wishing to have the use of a telephoto lens though it is a manual focus solution. I'm still using the 1.4 firmware so I can't wait to see what others can do when digital zoom is applied to this combination.

Can you still use the Sigma-lenses after fw-upgrade? I bought all three of them (19, 30 and 60mm DN Art) but it's only the 60mm that works and is recognized by the Go-app. The 19 and 30mm locks when trying to take a picture because the aperture-controll doesn't work. The app also say "Unknown lens" so I'm very annoyed by this. It doesn't make any sence because the 60mm works just fine, and the others are excactly the same. This has to be a fw-issue, and I think it should be addressed because the lenses balance so well. Hope someone has a fix for this so I can start taking pictures with them.

Reactions: Lloyd and RDTech
The 42.5 Panasonic is the best lens available and is head and shoulders above the Oly 45. Use it with a circular polarizing filter or a variable ND and you'll almost never change it. BTW the IOS is inoperative on an X5.
So, it's possible to fly with 42.5 Panasonic? Can I buy it without problem?

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
klrshopfitters