Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

X5 for stills

Just did all the maths based on the prices at the DJI site.
$3799 AUD for the X5
$169 AUD for the vibration damping plate.
$3968 AUD in total, plus longer legs which I can't even find on their site.

I'd almost be better off selling my almost brand new I1, and buying an I1P instead.
The change over cost would probably be a rather similar $4K but it would be a purpose built solution instead of cobbling all the bits together.
So not quite the $5K we originally got told they'd be here in Aus, but not a long way off it either way.

But I REALLY REALLY REALLY want that better stills quality. I guess it depends what I'm prepared to do to get it.

Sure, well at least it's not as bad as you had originally thought. Those prices seem to be on par with the UK. The problem we have, all of use, is that the industry is effectively in it's infancy, and with any technology based market, things evolve and improve at a rediculous rate! I remember when digital cameras first hit the market, it seemed like every few months a new camera was launched. Each time better than the one before. It's a sad fact of life that we are experiencing that same phenonena. You can sit on the fence and wait for the next 'best' thing, but by the time you get that next 'best' thing, something else will have been released that is even better, or perceived as being better anyway. I was considering waiting for the Yuneec 920 (?) But when will that be released? When it is released will there be issues? Probably. Also, having waited for it's release will DJI have in the meantime released an Inspire 2? I think if you're a hobbyist, then it's not so bad because you can hold onto things as long as they do the job. But as a commercial operator, you're always trying to get the best you can, from whatever technology that improves your service and product, by spending as little as possible. That is an expensive game. I don't know if you're a commercial operator or not, but for what it's worth, I am holding on to my other Inspire 1 so to give me some insurance in case of an mishap.

I'm kind of commercial - I have my licence, but until recently only shot for my own interest, with the plan of one day doing the UOC which would allow me to do full commercial and maybe sell my photos, but then I started shooting for a commercial company, which was what instigated the purchase of the I1 in the first place. But I only shoot quite rarely for them at the moment, and so can't really justify it just yet. I'm certainly not likely to earn any extra because of an upgrade to the X5, or get extra work from it, and the need to have two birds is quite limited. My supply of funds even more limited, so it is a massive consideration for me.

Reactions: howard rockliffe
Hello good forum, this is my first post here.
I am from the western coast of Norway, where I work as a photographer.

I have long been looking for a drone to do stills work (mostly landscapes) with.
I currently own two Phantom 2’s, with gopros, but they just do not cut it for print work.

I have been considering buying a S1000 setup or a S900 with a GH4, but so far I the costs and accessibility has made them not worth it to me.

So to me the X5 on an Inspire seems very promising.
Very accessible and easy to set up, and “cheap” compared to investing in the complete aforementioned setups (I would also have had to buy a GH4).

Looking at the DNG files available, I’m not quite seeing the 12.8 stops of dynamic range, but it’s not bad either.

The lower bitrate of the video portion of the camera does not concern me that much, but I would like to see them closer to 100 or more.

So are there anyone else out there looking for stills capabilities of the X5?

Hi Fredrik,

I purchased the X5 for the very same reasons as your thoughts. I do a lot of wilderness back country work so I have been waiting for something that is "reasonably" lightweight that could produce the quality of images that I am looking for.

At the moment I am still trying the camera out. A full frame DSLR it is not but the quality of the RAW files so far seem very good and for the ease of use, weight it is an excellent compromise.

Last edited:
Reactions: howard rockliffe
here is a still shot of a pool project i took with the x5 camera f/5 iso 100. i think its pretty good what do you guys think?oscar pool_1.JPG

here is a still shot of a pool project i took with the x5 camera f/5 iso 100. i think its pretty good what do you guys think?View attachment 4503

Keith:

I have to assume that if someone ask "what do you guys think" you are asking for honesty...not just to have your ego stroked? So....I'm going to be honest.

I think it's too dark, and if you shot in RAW, this could be tweaked easily and evened out.

The bright areas seem perfectly exposed, but the dark areas are just too dark. I'm looking at your image on a calibrated Eizo Monitor that is designed to show images exactly as they would look printed...and if you print this, it will print up very contrasty and dark.

I hope that helps.

Kirk

here is a still shot of a pool project i took with the x5 camera f/5 iso 100. i think its pretty good what do you guys think?View attachment 4503

I see a fence. Are you flying within your own airspace? Also from looking at the piping, no select fill for support? Stone bedding is important especially if your is a freeze/than climate...:) We do commercial aerial inspection, not much backyard pools, but more site to finished project. The first thing we do is check to make sure all safety requirements are in place.
Kevin

To the original poster-I feel the x5 is bang on for stills. Get it you will not regret(for stills anyway!)

Recently had a client where the end requirement was a 3 m x 3 m photograph for a static display stand. Perfect. The x3 would not be able to do this with comparable quality.

The point I am making is that the x5 has the "legs" to go to this size and maintain quality.

Moot point-Photograph was a HDR.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defenderschool