Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

X5S compatible lens and balancing thread

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Let's start capturing information on compatible lenses and how to successfully balance. DJI has a list of compatible lenses but not much info on how to balance. This information was successfully shared for the X5. So let's give it a try here

Let's start capturing information on compatible lenses and how to successfully balance. DJI has a list of compatible lenses but not much info on how to balance. This information was successfully shared for the X5. So let's give it a try here

fd8d17b41d25965092fed1cb4452626d.jpg

This will help as a starting point. I have flows with the Panasonic lumix 14-42mm. I used a 37-46mm step up, the 46-10 balance ring A (came with the x5s dji 15mm stock lens) and UV filter and it balanced almost perfectly. When you power on the aircraft the lens extends, so I pulled it off while it was extended so I could balance it properly. When you power down the aircraft the the lens retracts like in my picture so it is back heavy, but as soon as you power on the aircraft, it extends and is perfect. Haven't tried my other lenses yet as only having one set of batteries really limits my flying time. Hopefully dji starts shipping I2 accessories soon.

4f17673bd5e48f3c6e8baf543e425205.jpg

Sent from my iPad using InspirePilots

For clarification this is the one I got and it works for me on my Inspire 2 x5s camera and have the zoom function inside the dii go app 4.

Attachments

• CLARIFICATION.png
    CLARIFICATION.png
    396.5 KB · Views: 327
Reactions: 2nd2non
Oh the pancake style. Is it stable at the ends? I recall the oly14-42 having issues with my X5R at the ends, so I would balance it at the zoom level I planned to use for that day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
when you power on the aircraft the lens fully extends, so I think the zoom barrel is all interior. when I am zoomed all the way out for the widest viewing angle, I don't think the part that extends retracts. I could be wrong though I'll have to check next time I fly with it. Only having one set of batteries is a drag! Very limited with flight time.

The Olympus 25 balances with one PolarPro filter and no hood. The stock Olympus hood (an likely all other hoods) disrupt the Gimbal at startup so this is likely going to be a hoodless lens on the I2.

The Olympus 25 balances with one PolarPro filter and no hood. The stock Olympus hood (an likely all other hoods) disrupt the Gimbal at startup so this is likely going to be a hoodless lens on the I2.

Did you use a balance ring at all, or just the filter on the lens? I just ordered the 25mm off amazon. I opted for the international version with no warranty since it was only $280. I'll have my 30 day return if anything is wrong with it so I figured why not safe the money?

Did you use a balance ring at all, or just the filter on the lens? I just ordered the 25mm off amazon. I opted for the international version with no warranty since it was only $280. I'll have my 30 day return if anything is wrong with it so I figured why not safe the money?

Hi,

No balance ring is needed with a filter. The balance ring alone will balance it but the ring and the filter together are too heavy. The hood alone will also balance it but as above the width of the hood fouls the gimbal at startup so that is a moot point.

Reactions: Inspire1vision
when you power on the aircraft the lens fully extends, so I think the zoom barrel is all interior. when I am zoomed all the way out for the widest viewing angle, I don't think the part that extends retracts. I could be wrong though I'll have to check next time I fly with it. Only having one set of batteries is a drag! Very limited with flight time.

Yes curious to find out. I have my I2 but no X5S yet. I was considering one of the other non-pancake model lumix14-42 to avoid the balance issues during extension/retraction. I see DJI did not clarify which specific model in their chart. They even mentioned two different types of balance rings??!? Maybe to allow for the different models??

Reactions: Mike Harmon
Yes curious to find out. I have my I2 but no X5S yet. I was considering one of the other non-pancake model lumix14-42 to avoid the balance issues during extension/retraction. I see DJI did not clarify which specific model in their chart. They even mentioned two different types of balance rings??!? Maybe to allow for the different models??

they do not work and will mess up the gimbal motors so watch out! A few other guys bought them and posted on other groups that their gimbals were "freaking out" and could not get them to balance. They flew with them anyways and said the gimbal was loud because of constant stress on the motors. Because the lens is not supported he could not zoom or focus or anything. Useless. Make sure you only buy the supported lenses I posted the picture above from the DJI X5S manual you can access from inside the DJI go app4 academy section icon.

Hi guys.
trying to figure out best wsy5 to balance when putting circular polarising and ND filters onto inspire 1 v2 x5 pro. I got some comand picture with velcro stickers that I can attach different weights to them according to filter load. They come off easy. I am Experimenting with different filter combinations. Can't find weights to balance. Any tips?
Balance ok with hood no filters.

Sent from my SM-G935F using InspirePilots mobile app

Hi guys.
trying to figure out best wsy5 to balance when putting circular polarising and ND filters onto inspire 1 v2 x5 pro. I got some comand picture with velcro stickers that I can attach different weights to them according to filter load. They come off easy. I am Experimenting with different filter combinations. Can't find weights to balance. Any tips?
Balance ok with hood no filters.

You should ask this over in the X5 thread. I think you will find stacking lenses is not a good idea due to weight. Counterbalancing on the back end of the gimbal can be counterproductive long term. I reco getting a ND/POL filter if you desire that effect.

Thanx for advise. Maybe read the post again. Clearly states looking to add filters not lenses. Da. I am trying to balance nd filters and cir pol. As I said. Maybe some lenses are needed here. Take it to other thread. [emoji106][emoji85]

He meant stacking filters on the lens isn't recommended as it pushes the weight forward and adds extra strain on the gimbal motors.

If you need polariser and nd at the same time, then your best bet is to do as he suggested and get a single combined/all-in-one pl+nd filter specifically designed for the job. That way the weight/moment is minimised and doesn't put strain on the gimbal.

Anything but stock issue and combination of different filters will most lightly imbalance the camera end of.
Any recommendations on how to fix? Is that understandable?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
william_sewell