Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

X5S focus documentation

There are a number of videos showing calibration etc on YouTube, especially for the X5 and the process is the same for the X5S. However, I never got calibration to work very well and gave up.

The best method for focusing I have found so far is tap to focus. Just get up in the air and focus (tap) approximately on the object of interest. For photos this obviously is nice and easy and you can adjust your f-stop for depth of field. For video, I use an f-stop of f5.6-f8 to give a nice wide depth of field and pretty much everything is in focus (unless you are doing real close up work).

Hope that helps?

JB:
Are you using the screen touch method in auto or manual? I am awaiting an ipad pro 10.5 and a Crystal sky monitor and only have an iphone 7 which makes the touch thing a little tough to see if your focus is ok till you land and process. Did a lot of digging on this before posting and there is a lot stuff out there on I1 focus which had issues but almost nothing on the exact focus procedures for I2/X5s. Thank you for your reply.

JB:
Are you using the screen touch method in auto or manual? I am awaiting an ipad pro 10.5 and a Crystal sky monitor and only have an iphone 7 which makes the touch thing a little tough to see if your focus is ok till you land and process. Did a lot of digging on this before posting and there is a lot stuff out there on I1 focus which had issues but almost nothing on the exact focus procedures for I2/X5s. Thank you for your reply.

I'm using the touch screen method with auto focus (tap the screen to focus and it stays there). I'm using an iPad Pro 10.5" but to be honest you can't tell if its clearly focussed from the screen as the resolution just isn't high enough. But with Peak Focus on, you will clearly see.

JB:
Have you found any doc showing what the none, normal, low and high options on focus peaking actually do or is it just trial and error?

JB:
Have you found any doc showing what the none, normal, low and high options on focus peaking actually do or is it just trial and error?
I haven't found a document (that would be too easy), but believe the threshold refers to the maximum amount of pixels in focus... It is very helpful, in letting you know how much is in focus, however it can also be overbearing as you can find you whole (or large parts) of the screen turning red. On balance, however I do prefer it on.

Theoretically the red bits denote that something is in focus.in reality, it denotes that there is a high contrast ratio between the adjacent pixels. Theoretically the higher contrast will be between things with an edge... so if the contrast is 'crisp' it's focused, if the contrast is 'smudgy' it's likely to be out of focus.

Fwiw, the autofocus algorithm uses edge contrast to determine the same thing.... if contrast is low, such as in low light, it struggles to find focus.

Thanks for the answers. That was my assumption but it would sure be nice if DJI documented that somewhere.

The peak focus used to have options for 70%, 80%, 90%, they changed to low, normal, high in a recent DJI Go update. As to what exactly they actually denote, well... DJI know :D

There's lots of stuff within djigo that us t documented in any way, just got to play (on a safe non paying job :D ) and find something that works for you ;)

Reactions: PeterFranken
Peak focus is basically a graphic representation of what is according to the software IN FOCUS.
70%,80%, 90% or low, normal, high is basically a graphic representation whats sharp in 3 thresholds.

In DJI its slightly weird as 70% gives you 30% threshold of whats sharp, and 90% gives 10% so its more accurate in theory. ;)

Cheers

CP:
Thanks for the link. No doubt the best doc I've seen yet. Just to clarify is the infinity setting referenced in the above link done my tapping the infinity icon at the bottom of the vertical focus bar?

CP:
Thanks for the link. No doubt the best doc I've seen yet. Just to clarify is the infinity setting referenced in the above link done my tapping the infinity icon at the bottom of the vertical focus bar?
Sorry for the late reply. I didn't see the notification until now. Yes, you are correct. He is referring to the infinity icon at the bottom of the vertical focus bar.

Chris

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chassee