Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

X7 Lens sealed better than X5?

I am looking at purchasing the X7 mainly because I am hoping the lenses are better sealed to dust and debris then my X5 lens. Can anybody give me any details on if this is true or not.
Do you fly in sandstorms? I've never had issues with Oly lenses on X5S in regards to dust. Dust can get on sensor during lens changes and that can happen with any camera.

I am in the upper midwest and yes the air is heavy with debris. I have 2 spots on the inside of my lens at this point that I can not get clean, and I have started to take the lens apart, but stopped due to the intricacies. I need a system that is less likely to have this issue. I would even be happy with an X4 but can't find on, They are better sealed. The X5 lens is no longer produced. So I need to make a big change, and I want to know what my best direction will be.

I do have x4s and it has a protective clear glass filter screwed on. The quality of the seal is not very good though and if you are really fussy, like with most protective filters it marginally affects/degrades the resolution. I removed the glass from the collar and fly without the glass and now the dust gets behind the front lens element. So,I would not recommend x4s as a viable alternative. Plus it is only 1" sensor camera so the IQ would not be on a par with x5s let alone with x7.

I do have x4s and it has a protective clear glass filter screwed on. The quality of the seal is not very good though and if you are really fussy, like with most protective filters it marginally affects/degrades the resolution. I removed the glass from the collar and fly without the glass and now the dust gets behind the front lens element. So,I would not recommend x4s as a viable alternative. Plus it is only 1" sensor camera so the IQ would not be on a par with x5s let alone with x7.
Where were you an hour ago when I ordered the last X4S I could find?
I realize that it can't hold a candle to the 5 or 7 but I need to know that I won't have this issue again before I forkout $8k for a complete X7 setup.
I will keep the protective lens on, thanks for the heads up on that.

Where were you an hour ago when I ordered the last X4S I could find?
I realize that it can't hold a candle to the 5 or 7 but I need to know that I won't have this issue again before I forkout $8k for a complete X7 setup.
I will keep the protective lens on, thanks for the heads up on that.
X4s is great little cam usable for many applications. The size of the sensor is what usually defies the IQ to a large degree. Hope someone with x7 will shed some light on the dust sealing on its lenses.

• Love
Reactions: Rescuejim
X4s is great little cam usable for many applications. The size of the sensor is what usually defies the IQ to a large degree. Hope someone with x7 will shed some light on the dust sealing on its lenses.
Thanks,
Yea, I am not a pro photographer or pro cinema person. Just mapping, ag and real estate. So hopefully it will help.

Thanks,
Yea, I am not a pro photographer or pro cinema person. Just mapping, ag and real estate. So hopefully it will help.
If that is what you mainly do I personally reckon that x7 would be a major overkill unless you have a very lucrative jobs and clients willing to pay the top $$. X4s has also one more advantage of having a mechanical shutter. It might be useful for mapping to eliminate distortion due to rolling shutter effect. You would just be stuck with 24mm lens. I am sure x4s will serve you well.

We have not ever had lens dust issues ourselves nor have we had reports of issues with seal issues on X7. We have many small aerial production companies that we work closely with who use I2/X7 as their go-to platform for all of the car commercials that are shot on the salt flats, desert, etc and never have we heard of seal issues.

We have not ever had lens dust issues ourselves nor have we had reports of issues with seal issues on X7. We have many small aerial production companies that we work closely with who use I2/X7 as their go-to platform for all of the car commercials that are shot on the salt flats, desert, etc and never have we heard of seal issues.
I thank you so very much! That is the kind of info I was looking for. By chance have you had any reports on th X5S lens getting dust infiltration? I can't be the only one....

Reactions: rpossum
I can't vouch for the X7 lenses, but I can say that after a few flights in extremely dusty conditions while I was working on Top Gear this past season, my 45 mm x5 lens has a ton of dust inside it and is completely unusable.

Does anyone know the best shop to send one of these lenses to to get them clean? I was thinking about Sammy's in LA

Take your gear to Camera Max in Montrose. Harry does the repairs for all of the rental houses in Burbank. Good prices and fast turnaround. I’ve been taking my gear to him for almost 20 years.

1 (818) 248-2447

3817 Ocean View Blvd
Montrose, CA 91020
United States

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop