Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Zenmuse X3 Repair Question

Reaction score
BLUF
I would like to know if the camera itself on an X3 is married to the gimbal (ESCs, or some component) at the factory or if one can mix and match parts.

Long Story
I have two X3s, one works fine, and I have complete disassembly down to a science, because it keeps getting sand/grit in it from the beach. I bought a second one on ebay that needed a ribbon cable. When I replaced the cable, it calibrates fine and records but does not transmit video to the tablet. Well I never knew the actual condition anyway. To get serious about checking the bits for serviceability, I swapped the "cameras" between the two gimbals. They both stopped doing anything and were totally limp when I powered the machine up. I swapped back to the original camera gimbal sets and they worked exactly as before. My main X3 is fully functional, the other works except for video transmission. It seems impossible that camera needs "its" gimbal but that is what they acted like. There is nothing else to the arms but the ESCs themselves. Between the indexing nuts which are a blend of witchcraft and the science of aggravation and now the cameras seem to only work with the gimbal they were made with. I have taught myself a lot about these things but if I can't swap parts to troubleshoot it kind of spoils the fun of tinkering.

Longer Story
I have a third "camera only" that came with my Inspire that I bought crashed. It was busted up pretty bad and the previous owner tossed it shattered remains in the box. So I dug it out and tried it on both gimbals and it did nothing on either one.

Inspire 1 v1 bought on ebay after falling four stories
Inspire 1 v1 bought on ebay after being left in a tree in the rain for a month
I was going to build one from the two but they were both so easy to fix, I have 2 now. That happens to me sometimes I hate parting things out I much prefer to make them work.

Probably some firmware version thing stopping it from working. Or, is it possible the two non-working x3's are from Osmos? iirc, the osmo version of the x3 doesn't work on the I1, but the I1 version of the X3 does work on the Osmo... (might b other way round o_O)

The original X3 I received when I purchased my Inspire 1 V1 stopped transmitting video also (after 3 years of service). On the info page, the air encoder section displayed "Firmware Unknown". It still records to the sd card & I have full control over the panning/tilting, but no image transmission to tablet or through the HDMI port. I didn't update the firmware or crash causing the image transmission loss. It simply stopped working one day. I purchased a brand new X3 cam directly from DJI with a newer version of firmware than the original X3 cam I bought & the new X3 works great (pan/tilt/image transmission ... etc). I also purchased a used x3 with a newer version of firmware installed on the cam than the older X3 cam that came with my Inspire & the used X3 works perfect also (pan/tilt/image transmission ... etc).

I'm not 100% convinced different firmware versions of the X3 affect image transmission... I think it has something to do with the image encoder within the X3 itself. I'd love to get the image transmission issue fixed on my faulty X3 cam. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela