Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

ZENMUSE X5

I have just ordered one. I already have two of the compatible lenses so it makes sense.

I am thinking of buying a couple of X5s and a couple of X5Rs when they are released with a view to renting them out to professionals with PFAW tickets. Who would be interested in a rental service (UK based), especially for the X5R?
Definitely worth a RENT for the events that need that extra touch.. I'll keep it in mind.

I think it depends on what you do and what you film. Im just a guy who flys my inspire chasing wakeboardings to make short little instagram edits. I think the new X5 would be an nice pump up being able to get some slight upgrades using 4/3 sensor and different lenses. the X5r for someone not making money off this stuff might be a bit to swallow... also lest not forget the hardware needed to edit footage like that

I think it depends on what you do and what you film. Im just a guy who flys my inspire chasing wakeboardings to make short little instagram edits. I think the new X5 would be an nice pump up being able to get some slight upgrades using 4/3 sensor and different lenses. the X5r for someone not making money off this stuff might be a bit to swallow... also lest not forget the hardware needed to edit footage like that
For me either would be a commercial decision, but my clients are varied!! A company who wants to check an aerial or wind turbine wouldn't appreciate the hike to get the extra quality but in return I do see the benefits with the compression issues currently. I think the option is to offer it and rent the gimble initially until the business model is viable.

Currently my issues with high speed action footage is less 4k and more 'fps', a tweak to enhance the fps on the current X3 would be nice.

Panasonic has proven with the GH4 that 100Mbps at 8 bits is good enough.
That as maybe, but 100Mbps is much higher than 60! However it doesn't change the fact that 8-bit is not ideal for using Log profiles, especially one that captures 13 stops. 8-bit only has 256 gradations available, and what Log does is cram all that dynamic range into that 8-bit space at the expense of tonal graduation. Just because the GH4 does it, it doesn't mean that it is a good idea or that it suffices. The opportunity was here to offer a much better codec system. As others have said offering SDXC card recording could have coped well with Prores. We don't really need Raw. For productions that need that level of recording they will be using Red Epics or the new Arri Mini.

That as maybe, but 100Mbps is much higher than 60! However it doesn't change the fact that 8-bit is not ideal for using Log profiles, especially one that captures 13 stops.
It's not ideal but quite a few are perfectly happy to use a GH4 or Sony A7S and grade the 8-bit output.

As others have said offering SDXC card recording could have coped well with Prores.
The problem is likely the lack of integrated off-the shelf ProRes encoding hardware, and any 4K-capable custom solution possible nowadays is too big/power-hungry to fit in a product of that size.

Can anyone help me in understanding these resolution specs from the Zenmuse X Series Cameras Comparison Chart?

In this instance I'm purely looking at the resolution section and have noticed that the X5 does not seem to offer 25/24P at the higher frame sizes whereas the X3 does.

Living in PAL lands this would have an impact on me. (or I could simply be misunderstanding the data?)

I've left out the X5R ( similar resolution specs as X5 on chart )

X3
4096x2160(25/24P),
3840x2160(30/25P),
1920x1080(60/50/48/30/25/24P)
1280x720(60/50/48/30/25/24P)

X5
4096x2160(23.98p),
3840x2160(29.97/23.98p),
2704x1520(30/25P),
1920x1080(59.94/29.97p)

Well i just took the plunge and ordered the new camera... i also ordered extra bracket's for my other Inspire's.. the original bracket are to narrow... (bad design)... this new bracket will stop the camera wobble ... who else has ordered the new camera ?

What would it cost me...out the door...to upgrade my Inspire 1 with the X5R, with one lens. I'm having trouble figuring out what the cost would be. T..new mount, camera, lens, landing gear extensions? Also, is this conversion something I can do, or do I need to send my rig back in? Thanks.

The price for the X5R unit hasn't been released yet, so you won't get a definitive answer. From estimations - about $6k.

Unless users are working for major Hollywood studios and have the budgets to match I don't thing the X5R will be even be a consideration. If you have to ask the price you probably could not afford the additional high-end processing and storage requirements needs for post-production.

For those wanting to work in ProRes, it looks like DJI will offer an intermediate editing step with the CinemaDNG files coming out of the X5R by proxy editing the MOV/MP4 files being recorded simultaneously:

This is quoted from the CNET review:

"To help you work with the raw video files, DJI is releasing CineLight desktop software, which will offer offline proxy editing before converting the CinemaDNG files to ProRes."

So there is a path to convert to ProRes, just still need some Monster hardware to handle the files.

I too would have gone for this upgraded camera if it had some kind of zoom as part of the package.
In my line of work, I need to keep well clear of my subjects but need views resembling "arms length" photography.

The current wide angle lens only caters for "general views" and not the "detail views" a particular type of job requires.

I don't think you're going to see any zoom lenses supported. First, because they are heavier; this 12-35mm weighs 305 grams, almost triple what the supported lenses weigh. But mostly because the zoom action changes the center of gravity, and that's going to be hell on the gimbal.

But that doesn't mean you won't be able to use a long lens. This 45mm lens is smaller and lighter than one of the currently-approved lenses, so it's only a matter of time before they have support for it. It's a 90mm equivalent, so it will probably cover what you need.

This is the beauty of the MFT mount; there will be a wide variety of small, high-quality lenses to use with this camera. Eventually.

Last edited:
Both you and Richard are right. There is not a big marketable difference or advantage in the professional video market for the 5x. My clients wouldn't pay me a penny more for it. The 5xr however is a different story. As a guy that shoots a lot of pro video for the commercial market, raw = true cinematic quality and could pay of the $5,800 upgrade price with a 2 day shoot. Really looking forward to this release.

Fly safely, r
Same here.

The X5R is the real upgrade for pro video. 60/mbs 4:2:0 is well below broadcast standards.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defenderschool