Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

10 Things that could save your drone

Reaction score
After reading so many stories about people crashing for reasons that could have been avoided I've decided to put together a list of 10 (actually 11) of the most common things that I see crop up on forums and Facebook.

I'd really appreciate any feedback on it if you have the time to read through.

http://www.pauljoy.com/2015/08/10-things-that-could-save-your-drone/

Many thanks

Paul

After reading so many stories about people crashing for reasons that could have been avoided I've decided to put together a list of 10 (actually 11) of the most common things that I see crop up on forums and Facebook.

Many thanks

Paul
Well I almost could have written 1,2, and 3 myself :p
Actually, with regards to No.1 you are setting the declination for the location you are in to effect the off set between True North (measured by GPS) and Magnetic North (measured by the magnetometer). Any anomalies caused by 'buried treasure' are distorting that declination value by distorting the magnetic flux at that location.:)

Reactions: Johnny De Avila
Well I almost could have written 1,2, and 3 myself :p
Actually, with regards to No.1 you are setting the declination for the location you are in to effect the off set between True North (measured by GPS) and Magnetic North (measured by the magnetometer). Any anomalies caused by 'buried treasure' are distorting that declination value by distorting the magnetic flux at that location.:)

Cool, although I think I will leave it as the non flux capacitor version for now :)

Reactions: Cruncher

Many thanks

Paul
Paul, Thanks for the link. I came to the world of RC aircraft with a Phantom 1 and a huge knowledge gap. I spent hours on the Net looking at posts like yours to build up my knowledge base. I now mostly fly the Inspire and consider my knowledge gap to be much smaller but I am always trying to close it. Your list is excellent and I agree with everything you listed. I have tweaked my pre-flight checklist again. I have responded to some threads on this Web site and can hopefully put something back into the quad-copter community in appreciation of what it has enable me to do. Thanks again

Very good. Excellent reference

Smart Go Home... I thought that was the option when the aircraft prompts to return home when it realises that the distance flown has reached its maximum before it can come Back home?

Once the aircraft hits the first preset battery warning and then gets to the second battery warning percentage it tries to land no matter what - you have to "fight" the aircraft to land at a suitable location.

Thanks for the feedback. Mohan I'll take another look but I'm pretty sure thats the option that changes the behaviour of the 10% battery handling. I'm not sure if it also effects distance RTH warnings and behaviour as well, it could do.

Thanks for the feedback. Mohan I'll take another look but I'm pretty sure thats the option that changes the behaviour of the 10% battery handling. I'm not sure if it also effects distance RTH warnings and behaviour as well, it could do.
Smart Return Home or "Smart Go Home" in the app denotes that the remaining battery capacity can only support the aircraft from return to the home point from the current position hence the app will prompt a message to notify that user should bring the aircraft back to the home point at that moment."

Smart Return Home or "Smart Go Home" in the app denotes that the remaining battery capacity can only support the aircraft from return to the home point from the current position hence the app will prompt a message to notify that user should bring the aircraft back to the home point at that moment."
Is that to understand that the AC may not come all the way home before landing?

From reading all over the web about this I now understand that Smart Go Home is just the new name for the good old Battery Low RTH. If you switch it off it will still prompt you to return. If you do nothing, eventually it will land just where it is. If you switch it on, it will prompt you that it is about to initiate RTH. You can cancel that and keep on flying until it lands itself. If you don't cancel it it will return to home. Maybe the only smart thing is that you get prompted and that you can cancel it.

During return to home, as well as auto land, you still have control (as with previous battery low RTH). By pushing throttle up, you can rise over obstacles during RTH or delay the auto land until you are on a safe landing spot.

Nothing new about 'Smart Go Home'. It was already there 'back in the Phantom2 days', and in previous FW versions of I1 and P3. Only now they hope people will understand the function better.
Well.....they only made it a new big Chinese tasting mystery doing so, by NOT explaining that nothing changed. Everybody is looking for the new SMART feature of Smart Go Home. But there isn't.

I wished DJI stopped just renaming standard functions in new APP builds to something that their marketeers hope will sound better, and lower the threshold, to the MAIN audience they try to attract: the total NOOB that never even knew RC flying, let alone multirotors, existed, before last or even coming christmas.

DJI-GO instead of DJI-PILOT....same APP (with a few typical consumer social media add ons), different name, different target audience. The 'Look Honey, I Never Knew It Was So Easy Fly-ers' will feel safer with a GO APP than a PILOT APP, marketing, nothing else.

How I wished the I1 had it's own dedicated PILOT APP.......It seems we just have to put up with all the things these marketeers want to add, to attract more entry level Phantom 3 users.

Coffee, NOW!

The 'Look Honey, I Never Knew It Was So Easy Fly-ers' will feel safer with a GO APP than a PILOT APP
And NOBODY on this forum, or even just reading this, qualifies as a LHINKIWSE Flyer, simply because they are here to learn and educate themselves, being far from ignorant.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry