Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!
Reaction score
Here's a short test video after a few days with the X5. I've analyzed the footage to the max and would like another set of eyes to look at it! I have mixed feelings about the results thus far... Some shots look sharp while others look "soft".

Overall, the photo's (JPEG and RAW) from the X5 are noticeably better than the X3, without a doubt. The video's, however, have been hit or miss thus far. I've been tweaking the settings on every shoot and I've yet to find the perfect solution.

Lenses: Olympus M.Zuiko 12mm, 45mm
ND filters: B+W ND 0.9 46mm, 37mm
Both lenses are balanced with nickels and dimes in the appropriate places.

Camera settings: 4K 24fps
Color Settings: D-Log, Sharpness 0, Contrast -2, Saturation -2

Looks great to me! Just the shots between 20 and 28sec seem out of focus... but could also look like that because of no grading.
Love the 45mm shots. To me the X5 was initially pretty uninteresting when it was announced with only wide angle options, but the support for longer FLs makes all the difference and will make me splurge the cash one day.

Here's a short test video after a few days with the X5. I've analyzed the footage to the max and would like another set of eyes to look at it! I have mixed feelings about the results thus far... Some shots look sharp while others look "soft".

Overall, the photo's (JPEG and RAW) from the X5 are noticeably better than the X3, without a doubt. The video's, however, have been hit or miss thus far. I've been tweaking the settings on every shoot and I've yet to find the perfect solution.

I'm planning on getting the 25mm and 45mm lenses and as one is 37mm and the other 46mm filters I'm planning to just get 46mm filters and then use a 37-46 step up ring on the 45mm lens. When using the 45mm lens how much weight and where do you place them?

Brian

Very nice footage, I like the different focal lengths.

The video softness you mentioned comes mainly from the compression. It's the same bit rate and color space as the X3 camera (4K at 60/mbs 4:2:0)

DJI has made efforts to increase the bit rate, but only a little and only in HD so far.

Depending on how much image quality means to you, the X5R coming in the Spring will be able to shoot 1.7Gbs RAW video. Large file sizes but the quality should match the RAW stills coming out of your X5.

Any footage from 45mm from something say 5 metres away give or take?
Looking to see if its good enough for close up inspection work

Looks great to me! Just the shots between 20 and 28sec seem out of focus... but could also look like that because of no grading.
Love the 45mm shots. To me the X5 was initially pretty uninteresting when it was announced with only wide angle options, but the support for longer FLs makes all the difference and will make me splurge the cash one day.

Thanks for your feedback! I didn't notice 20-28 seconds until now but you're right, it does look a bit out of focus. It's hard to tell sometimes because shooting in D-Log the image comes out very dull, and it depends on the amount of color correction added. And I completely agree with your thoughts on the X5... I didn't even think about purchasing the camera until I saw an example of 45mm shots. Thanks again for your thoughts and happy flying :)

I'm planning on getting the 25mm and 45mm lenses and as one is 37mm and the other 46mm filters I'm planning to just get 46mm filters and then use a 37-46 step up ring on the 45mm lens. When using the 45mm lens how much weight and where do you place them?

Brian

Brian, good question about the ND filters. I've never tried using step up rings so I may not be the best person to answer. I also don't know the exact weight of each ND filter I'm using because the product description doesn't state, and I don't have a scale. I taped a nickel to the top of the 45mm, using the B+W ND 0.9 37mm filter. It took some trial and error but this seems to nicely balance the camera/lens/gimbal.

The video softness you mentioned comes mainly from the compression. It's the same bit rate and color space as the X3 camera (4K at 60/mbs 4:2:0)

DJI has made efforts to increase the bit rate, but only a little and only in HD so far.

Depending on how much image quality means to you, the X5R coming in the Spring will be able to shoot 1.7Gbs RAW video. Large file sizes but the quality should match the RAW stills coming out of your X5.

Thanks for your feedback :) The 45mm has been really exciting to use. It's a challenge to achieve long/smooth/steady shots for video, but the results are getting better each time I fly. Coming from someone who started with the Phantom 1 and GoPro several years ago, the non-fisheye/wide DOF is nice.

I've been testing the sharpness settings and am close to a solution, I'll have a full write-up about this later in the week. But you're absolutely right, the footage can only look as good as the compression allows for. Cheers!

Really great shots

Thanks, Happy Flying :)

I haven't done any close ups yet. It's definitely doable though. I'm sure you can find examples on YouTube. Cheers!

I wonder if you could comment on the camera setting a bit more. I have both those lenses as well as the OEM 15mmf/1.7 and the Olympus 25mm f/1.8. I have set the camera as 3840x2160@24fps with the style as 'D-Log', but what about sharpness, contrast and saturation? I see you have them at 0, -2, -2 but is that what you use now?

I am shooting still in RAW DNG so any feedback on camera settings for stills.

In both cases I have editing and processing software (Premiere Pro CC and Photoshop CC).

Any other tips you might offer for getting the best video and stills?

Brian

Don't quote me on this, but I remember watching a video on YouTube where you can use the transcoding tool to uncompress the original footage. The tool will increase your bit rate

Zenmuse X5’s specifications, FAQ, video tutorials, and DJI GO | DJI

I wonder if you could comment on the camera setting a bit more. I have both those lenses as well as the OEM 15mmf/1.7 and the Olympus 25mm f/1.8. I have set the camera as 3840x2160@24fps with the style as 'D-Log', but what about sharpness, contrast and saturation? I see you have them at 0, -2, -2 but is that what you use now?

I am shooting still in RAW DNG so any feedback on camera settings for stills.

In both cases I have editing and processing software (Premiere Pro CC and Photoshop CC).

Any other tips you might offer for getting the best video and stills?

Brian

Brian, thanks for the comment. The camera settings are still at 0,-2,-2. There's been a lot of trial and error and I'm still not getting excellent results. But eventually I hope to find the ideal settings. I've honestly been shooting more photos than video because the photo's from the X5 are great. I shoot photos with the same settings as video, with RAW DNG just like you. I then upload them to Lightroom and the X5 profile is already applied. Good luck Brian, tweak the settings to your liking and see what works best for you.

Here's my second video with the Olympus 12mm & 45mm lenses. Same settings as before (0, -2, -2, DLOG). Still struggling to get long, fluid shots and pans with the 45mm. Also struggling with image softness during certain lighting situations. Please let me know your thoughts and feel free to ask any questions you have :)

This is further than 15 feet but some idea for you, nonetheless.

Attachments

• main street station with WM-14.jpg
    main street station with WM-14.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 44

Here's my second video with the Olympus 12mm & 45mm lenses. Same settings as before (0, -2, -2, DLOG). Still struggling to get long, fluid shots and pans with the 45mm. Also struggling with image softness during certain lighting situations. Please let me know your thoughts and feel free to ask any questions you have :)
Very impressive stuff, may I ask, how do you get the 45mm so smooth? I was just getting used to the 12mm over the x3 and now have just started on the 45mm.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop