Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

USA 333 Exemptions - This is taking entirely too long!

They appreciate my patience! After 7 months I sent an email asking for an update.

"Mr. Dauphinais,

Your request is under review at this time. We will do our best to process your request as soon as possible; however, factors such as petition completeness, complexity, and volume of requests may affect the length of time needed to process your petition. We will contact you if we need additional information to process your petition. Otherwise, you may not hear from the FAA until we issue a decision letter. We appreciate your patience as we work to process petitions in an expeditious and safe manner.

Regards,
xxxxxx"

Since my USA 333 Exemption Request thread got hijacked by a discussion about over-riding DJI NFZs, I thought I would open up the discussion to an update on how long it is taking currently to get through the 333 Exemption approval process. I posted my request on 8/13/2015 and have yet to see it posted on a permanent docket at Regulations. gov. Quoted below is my updated inquiry to the Help Desk:

"Dear Sirs:
It has now been over two months since I submitted my Section 333 Petition for Exemption (tracking # **-****-****) on 8/13/2015. Please provide an explanation as to why my petition has not yet been posted on Regulations.gov to a permanent docket.
I understand that there is a high volume of such petitions being submitted, but there was supposed to be an effort to speed consideration and approval for relatively routine use cases, which I believe mine to be. I find it unacceptable that it is taking this long to get my aerial photography and survey business off the ground (excuse the pun). If I do not get a reasonably prompt response, I will be contacting my Congressional Representative and Senator to bring this unacceptable delay to their attention. As the FAA NPRM for commercial UAS operations in the NAS is scheduled to be finalized by mid-2016, the window of time is closing fast on the possibility of gaining any advantage over business competitors that cannot, by virtue of their lack of required Airman certificates, be approved for the COA required to exercise their 333 exemption. I find this disappointing."

I'm trying to determine if mine is an outlying case, or if this is typical FAA foot-dragging. I shouldn't be too surprised by the glacial pace because I've dealt with the FAA as a professional pilot for my whole career, but this is truly mind-boggling bureaucratic incompetence.

Since my USA 333 Exemption Request thread got hijacked by a discussion about over-riding DJI NFZs, I thought I would open up the discussion to an update on how long it is taking currently to get through the 333 Exemption approval process. I posted my request on 8/13/2015 and have yet to see it posted on a permanent docket at Regulations. gov. Quoted below is my updated inquiry to the Help Desk:

"Dear Sirs:
It has now been over two months since I submitted my Section 333 Petition for Exemption (tracking # **-****-****) on 8/13/2015. Please provide an explanation as to why my petition has not yet been posted on Regulations.gov to a permanent docket.
I understand that there is a high volume of such petitions being submitted, but there was supposed to be an effort to speed consideration and approval for relatively routine use cases, which I believe mine to be. I find it unacceptable that it is taking this long to get my aerial photography and survey business off the ground (excuse the pun). If I do not get a reasonably prompt response, I will be contacting my Congressional Representative and Senator to bring this unacceptable delay to their attention. As the FAA NPRM for commercial UAS operations in the NAS is scheduled to be finalized by mid-2016, the window of time is closing fast on the possibility of gaining any advantage over business competitors that cannot, by virtue of their lack of required Airman certificates, be approved for the COA required to exercise their 333 exemption. I find this disappointing."

I'm trying to determine if mine is an outlying case, or if this is typical FAA foot-dragging. I shouldn't be too surprised by the glacial pace because I've dealt with the FAA as a professional pilot for my whole career, but this is truly mind-boggling bureaucratic incompetence.

I sent in my Petition on October 5, 2015 (which is acknowledged by the FAA). It was posted on regulations.gov on December 3, 2015. I just received my Section 333 Exemption in the mail on April 21, 2016, with their letter dated April 12, 2016.

Hmmm, this has a COA attached with requirements for me to email a log of each month's UAS activity. Hmm, more to clarify!

Reactions: SanCap
I sent in my Petition on October 5, 2015 (which is acknowledged by the FAA). It was posted on regulations.gov on December 3, 2015. I just received my Section 333 Exemption in the mail on April 21, 2016, with their letter dated April 12, 2016.

Hmmm, this has a COA attached with requirements for me to email a log of each month's UAS activity. Hmm, more to clarify!

You can do the monthly reports online https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external/eFiling/uas/monthlyTrackingEntry.do

yep, all sound about right..

spent a good portion of last year drafting, submitting & waiting.

first draft feb 10th 2015 denial by end of march. resubmit in correct format beginning of april and approval mid july (just over 3 mo). thing is a good friend of mine (faa atc controller & 333 holder) made some calls in to help speed it up. I had started this all before the numbers had skyrocketed like they are now. problem was I only submit for my current platform and had no intention of using another ship- until my work showed the need to alter it.

I sat on my hands for too long till I realized the inevitable.. knuckled down and have been waiting since mid-december for the amendment to my 333 for the inspire and phantom pro ships. took over a month for it to even post in the docket system (mailed hard copy too-never showed up in docket). total time for current processing is already surpassing their 120 day mark. I wouldn't even bother asking them for a status update as in doing so you just get a fluff message stating the obvious "processing those petitions on a timely basis of 120 days or less"

Sit back, relax and focus on planning your strategy. you'll end up getting your approval, then jump through the next set of hoops in registering it, finding out most of the jobs you'll be called for will require a separate coa (process I much rather sit through) and losing jobs due to illegal commercial drone operators everywhere.

Mike

"finding out most of the jobs you'll be called for will require a separate coa "
Not sure what you mean by this. The blanket COA is now up to 400 feet, and it should accommodate most jobs unless you want to fly inside an airport's controlled airspace...

[QUOTE="Not sure what you mean by this. The blanket COA is now up to 400 feet, and it should accommodate most jobs unless you want to fly inside an airport's controlled airspace...[/QUOTE]

I live and operate in Los Angeles, there is quite a bit of controlled airpspace around here- plus the limitations set in the exemption & blanket coa states distances clear of in nautical miles not statute (which doesn't help either). 200 feet high is more than enough for the work I perform too.

333 Took about 8 months. I applied back in August and just got mine in the beginning of April.

Last edited:
Sent mine in October 2015, approved/received May 2016. I haven't read all the responses, but don't forget, this is one department, along with the many others, that's over worked, underpaid, under staffed and under trained. Dare I say TSA........I know it doesn't help your status, but it is what it is. My problem was and still is a/c registration for a llc. Confusion with listing members, who's managing and title of llc. I'm on submission three.

Sent mine in October 2015, approved/received May 2016. I haven't read all the responses, but don't forget, this is one department, along with the many others, that's over worked, underpaid, under staffed and under trained. Dare I say TSA........I know it doesn't help your status, but it is what it is. My problem was and still is a/c registration for a llc. Confusion with listing members, who's managing and title of llc. I'm on submission three.
Members of public union and that don't have to do anything, just like the VA!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LewisuhaAbips