Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

a company buying a drone and using only filming for themselves only

Reaction score
If a company was to buy a drone and only film short films to put on their own website would they need to do the training/test/licence to be able to do it legally?
Thanks,
Richard

In Australia there is special dispensation if you own and fly for your business on your own property. E.g. farmers. Up to a 25 kg rpa. Use for spotting, weed control, crop management etc.

If a company was to buy a drone and only film short films to put on their own website would they need to do the training/test/licence to be able to do it legally?
Thanks,
Richard
You do not say what country you are talking about although as a moderator I am able to see your email address and therefore assume you are referring to the UK?
In answer to your question - yes. This would be classed as a commercial operation/use and therefore be subject to the requisite CAA PfCO permissions as well as the mandatory commercial aviation insurance.

If you use the search function you will see this type of scenario has cropped up quite a few times and the answer is always the same.

Another way of looking at it:

There is always a risk of something going wrong, so it would be prudent to take out insurance. The Insurance Company would ask "Is it Business or Pleasure?". The logical answer leads you to it being a commercial operation so the insurance will require a Permission or equivalent.

Another way of looking at it:

There is always a risk of something going wrong, so it would be prudent to take out insurance. The Insurance Company would ask "Is it Business or Pleasure?". The logical answer leads you to it being a commercial operation so the insurance will require a Permission or equivalent.

An easy way to look at it is where there is benefit - the operation is commercial.

I mean Yes, sorry I was confused by "The Editor" talking about countries...

But it has nothing do with being beneficial for the company, Business jets owned by a company operate under part 91. The owners can fly the jet without a commercial rating just a IFR and type rating will suffice legally. However, if they hire a pilot he/she needs a commercial rating to fly their jet under part 91.

The same goes for a company, the drone can be flown by a non-certificated pilot as long as they meet the "for recreational purposes" criteria.

Thanks,
Richard

If you are in the US you must be 107 certified. The issue has been clearly addressed in the past by the FAA, any use of UAVs to enhance the value/product of your business is commercial.

I mean Yes, sorry I was confused by "The Editor" talking about countries...

But it has nothing do with being beneficial for the company, Business jets owned by a company operate under part 91. The owners can fly the jet without a commercial rating just a IFR and type rating will suffice legally. However, if they hire a pilot he/she needs a commercial rating to fly their jet under part 91.

The same goes for a company, the drone can be flown by a non-certificated pilot as long as they meet the "for recreational purposes" criteria.
If the company owner wants to fly his UAV for fun, it is hobby. If he uses the video/photo on a company website it is commercial. This has been addressed in the past.

Redtractor:

If you want to hear it from the horse's mouth, these are two good sources:

Emanuel Cruz (Manny)
Management and Program Analyst
Safety and Operations Branch, AUS-430
(202) 267-4981
[email protected]

Steve Pansky/SAIC
Senior Aviation Analyst
Aviation Safety (AVS) Safety Technical Support Services (STSS)
Air Traffic and Law Enforcement/SAC-EC Liaison
Supporting Federal Aviation Administration
Unmanned Aircraft Systems Tactical Operations,
Emerging Technologies Team, AUS-430/AJV-115
[email protected]
202-904-9400

@licensed pilot - the OP is in the UK and therefore subject to Blighty's aviation rules and laws.
This would most definitely be regarded as commercial use and therefore the OP would need both PfCO from the CAA as well as commercial insurance in place. :)

However, since they asked the question and only posted one post then haven't logged on for over a week I guess they didn't like the answer they got. :p

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cruzamikayla