Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

A very common sense Government, this is not an oxymoron

Reaction score
I received a very pleasant surprise this morning in the form of an email from our beloved New Zealand Government. The regulatory body in New Zealand that governs all things that fly is called the CAA. We also have a government department set up to explore and advise the CAA on UAV's. This department is called Callaghan Innovation. Callaghan Innovation has prepared a report which looks likely to be adopted by the CAA that approves BLOS (Beyond Line of Sight) UAV flight. Currently, BLOS flight is actually technically legal here but this new ruling looks likely to clarify that grey area and actually promotes the use of BLOS as good for the economy.

For those of you who don't know much about NZ its primary industries are exporting foods and timber. NZ is covered with farms and forestry and the report states that by approving BLOS, UAV's can be adapted for use to monitor farms and forests for a whole host of things that needs to be checked regularly that currently require a farmer to jump in his truck or motorbike and travel to, or forestry staff to use a helicopter to check. The savings to the economy are being touted in the $150m- $200m mark by fully adopting BLOS with some conditions attached.

While many countries are reacting in a typical 'knee-jerk' fashion to UAV technology, I'm very pleased that our leaders are actually assessing UAVs for what they are and how they can help our rural and primary industries to grow, make more money and pay more taxes. New Zealand, the drone friendly country!!

https://www.callaghaninnovation.govt.nz/sites/all/files/UAV-benefits-study.pdf

Wow this is pretty great. Nice to see it will be used in some places so at least it can be tested and passed on. Someone has to be first.

I received a very pleasant surprise this morning in the form of an email from our beloved New Zealand Government. The regulatory body in New Zealand that governs all things that fly is called the CAA. We also have a government department set up to explore and advise the CAA on UAV's. This department is called Callaghan Innovation. Callaghan Innovation has prepared a report which looks likely to be adopted by the CAA that approves BLOS (Beyond Line of Sight) UAV flight. Currently, BLOS flight is actually technically legal here but this new ruling looks likely to clarify that grey area and actually promotes the use of BLOS as good for the economy.

For those of you who don't know much about NZ its primary industries are exporting foods and timber. NZ is covered with farms and forestry and the report states that by approving BLOS, UAV's can be adapted for use to monitor farms and forests for a whole host of things that needs to be checked regularly that currently require a farmer to jump in his truck or motorbike and travel to, or forestry staff to use a helicopter to check. The savings to the economy are being touted in the $150m- $200m mark by fully adopting BLOS with some conditions attached.

While many countries are reacting in a typical 'knee-jerk' fashion to UAV technology, I'm very pleased that our leaders are actually assessing UAVs for what they are and how they can help our rural and primary industries to grow, make more money and pay more taxes. New Zealand, the drone friendly country!!

https://www.callaghaninnovation.govt.nz/sites/all/files/UAV-benefits-study.pdf
Visited NZ about a month ago for 10 days, nice country, people and sounds like common sense government

Enjoy life and be nice

Reactions: turbodronepilot
Great news!

I spent a month in NZ 2 years ago and it's one of the most beautiful countries I've seen, with people who know what they're talking about. Could totally see myself there one day.
Low population density and good education go a long way into NOT becoming a mess like in most other places IMO, and precisely allows that kind of things.

Watch out, you might have a housefull. I guess the operative word is "visit" but don't stay!
Turbo sounds like a fun guest to have.

Enjoy life and be nice

Hey, if anyone goes to all the effort of flying for two weeks to get to New Zealand, the least I can do is offer a little hospitality! Always got a spare room for a fellow UAV pilot (for a limited time only!). Since the earthquake here 4 years back there ain't much to see in Christchurch but it's the gateway to the South Island which is simply breathtakingly beautiful, a real videographers paradise.

Reactions: crashburn

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry