Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Adding an FPV camera for dual operator

Hey is there any update on using a FPV camera? It's been a while since anyone has posted and I'd love to be able to use one on my Inspire. What are the best solutions you have found to work well? Also how much distance do you get a good connection with the FPV camera and receiver?
Thanks in advance for all your help!
I still recommend using a large phone like the iPhone 6+S. I chose this phone for the brightness in direct sun (I believe it's the brightest phone out right now I sold my galaxy note phone and went with the iPhone for this). With the large phone still being smaller than a tablet you can mount a 7" fpv monitor and your phone onto the controller without a lot of bulk. Then your camera operator can use a larger tablet if they want. I like using my phone because it has data and all the maps pull up no matter where I fly. On android I found no option of map cache and it drove me nuts. I went the goggle route at first and still use it once in a while but found its much better to be able to look up constantly at the inspire instead of having my face in a goggle. There's a user on here with a good write up on his controller setup with the phone displaying the maps and the 7" fpv monitor mounted above his phone to monitor direction etc. I found this is hands down the best way to use a second camera like the fatshark 600 tvl mounted on the nose. I'm not sure about range, I use a immersion rc 600 mw and have heard about crazy long distances with the proper antennae setup. If I find myself needing better range id fly closer to the subject I'm filming.

I've been interested as well and have done quite a bit of research trying to find a good solution that works for me. Attached is one that I have been interested in. All the parts including DJI nose-cone are readily available. I would be interested in seeing other suggestions. I've actually recently purchased a Google Cardboard headset (Many are available now) for $50.00 - $80.00. They use your Cellphone to provide you with 3D view of your flight through the camera lens. The image quality in my opinion is as good as if not better than FarShark or Zeiss Cinemizer glasses costing $500 - $800. Purchase the Leichi app for use with the Google Cardboard compatible headsets and you have excellent resolution and the added benefit of head-tracking with the camera, all for well under $100.

Leichi also allows for VR mode, Focus, Panorama, Follow me, Orbit,
pre-planned Waypoint missions and more.
Compatible with Phantom 3 Advanced/Professional,
Inspire 1, Phantom 2 Vision, Phantom 2 Vision+. I feel the app was well worth the $20.00 I paid for it.

Litchi partners with HealthyDrones.com and automatically uploads your flight data to their website providing you with a vast amount of data about your flights.

Attachments

• FatShark-FPV-kit.jpg
    FatShark-FPV-kit.jpg
    550.6 KB · Views: 154
  • FatShark-FPV-kit-2.jpg
    FatShark-FPV-kit-2.jpg
    494.3 KB · Views: 149
  • FatShark-FPV-kit-3.jpg
    FatShark-FPV-kit-3.jpg
    385.6 KB · Views: 146
Saver
I've been interested as well and have done quite a bit of research trying to find a good solution that works for me. Attached is one that I have been interested in. All the parts including DJI nose-cone are readily available. I would be interested in seeing other suggestions. I've actually recently purchased a Google Cardboard headset (Many are available now) for $50.00 - $80.00. They use your Cellphone to provide you with 3D view of your flight through the camera lens. The image quality in my opinion is as good as if not better than FarShark or Zeiss Cinemizer glasses costing $500 - $800. Purchase the Leichi app for use with the Google Cardboard compatible headsets and you have excellent resolution and the added benefit of head-tracking with the camera, all for well under $100.

Leichi also allows for VR mode, Focus, Panorama, Follow me, Orbit,
pre-planned Waypoint missions and more.
Compatible with Phantom 3 Advanced/Professional,
Inspire 1, Phantom 2 Vision, Phantom 2 Vision+. I feel the app was well worth the $20.00 I paid for it.

Litchi partners with HealthyDrones.com and automatically uploads your flight data to their website providing you with a vast amount of data about your flights.
where can I buy the setup that you mentioned Davet01

i wonder if any experts could comment on my gear.
I currently have:
Black Pearl 7" HD monitor receiver.
Kinexsis 30C 1200mAh battery (111g)
600 TVL FatShark camera
FatShark V4 (to hook battery up to FPV system)
FatShark 80mA TX antenna.

Am i safe in assuming that all i have to replace is the Antenna to make this system work at around 1000m? Any suggestion on what will work with what i have?

The battery seems kind of heavy at 111g. To run this system for about an hour can i get a lighter battery? Suggestions?

Is there a bracket available so that I could use both my iPad mini 4 and the Black Pearl at the same time? If the bracket is not big enough i would be OK with using my phone for the Go App.
2016-05-03%2018.18.37.jpg

Attachments

• 2016-05-03 18.18.58.jpg
    2016-05-03 18.18.58.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 51
  • 2016-05-03 18.18.37.jpg
    2016-05-03 18.18.37.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 47
  • 2016-05-03 18.18.29.jpg
    2016-05-03 18.18.29.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 54
i wonder if any experts could comment on my gear.
I currently have:
Black Pearl 7" HD monitor receiver.
Kinexsis 30C 1200mAh battery (111g)
600 TVL FatShark camera
FatShark V4 (to hook battery up to FPV system)
FatShark 80mA TX antenna.

Am i safe in assuming that all i have to replace is the Antenna to make this system work at around 1000m? Any suggestion on what will work with what i have?

The battery seems kind of heavy at 111g. To run this system for about an hour can i get a lighter battery? Suggestions?

Is there a bracket available so that I could use both my iPad mini 4 and the Black Pearl at the same time? If the bracket is not big enough i would be OK with using my phone for the Go App.
2016-05-03%2018.18.37.jpg
Yea, you can mount the black pearl and your iPhone. You put the black pearl in the plastic tablet holder, and then get one of the phantom 2 cell phone holders and mount it off the metal controller handle. Use your iPhone for maps and monitor drone orientation with black pearl.

For those less tech minded like myself, dslrpros are quoting about a month until their Inspire dual camera system is back in stock.

Heres a list for anyone interested in building their own setup like I did

Immersion RC 600mw transmitter 69$
600 tvl fatshark camera 41$
camera mount 6$
wide camera lens (2.5)mm from fatshark 13$
The battery I use 20$ but I had one around already

I use the fatshark dominator HD's for my monitor, but others have shown interest in the black pearl monitor. Just get any 7" fpv monitor you like, but I suggest making sure the built in antennae are far enough apart on top to fit into your stock inspire tablet holder on your controller if you plan on mounting it there instead of a tripod. I still like to keep the pilot app open in the maps screen on a device like a cell phone so that's where the tripod would come in handy for the other fpv monitor. Over all you're so much cheaper than paying to have this all installed by a company that will void your warranty

Can you tell me what adapter you use from the battery to the transmitter. I have the same battery as you and none of the connections are comparable with the Immersion RC 600 transmitter.

Thanks!

For those who have done the DSLRPros kit what is the change in battery life? From what I can see it seems that you are powering off the inspire battery?

Hi,

I'm presuming if you've used your copter in a dual operator setup you'll be aware of the limitations of only having one camera - that it can't both be looking where the copter is flying and where your camera operator wants to film.

It's a shame this seems to have been missed from the Inspire 1 - perhaps it was a cost consideration, but either way that's where we are. Or is it?

Seems like DSLR media pros worked this out a while ago and hence why they've got this upgrade:
DSLRPros Inspire 1 FPV Upgrade

However, not being in the US and not having $750 to spare, I was wondering if anyone had any ideas how to recreate this - I've got a micro camera...

A friend suggested this: Spektrum Ultra Micro FPV Camera and VTX (SPMVA1100): Spektrum - The Leader in Spread Spectrum Technology

Which looks like you could just put the whole thing in the nose cone and drill a hole for the camera.

However, I don't know if you guys have taken the nose off your Inspire, but it looks like there's a spare port there - anyone got any ideas what this is for or if it could power a camera / transmitter / what the voltage might be.

Thanks!
Saw this on Ebay:
DJI Inspire 1 FPV camera pilot video feed | eBay
Looks like it can be a solution. I have no idea if it actually works, but it looks like an answer to your needs.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EarthmovingAdelaide