Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Advice as our Inspires die (or are being killed off)

Reaction score
I am the proud owner of two Inspire V1 Pros. I mainly use them for geological, geomorphological, and vegetation mapping. i have a really nice NIR camera and I'm getting great imagery, with some hassles due to the use of old software. Therein lies my problem: Inspires like mine haven't been supported for a long time now. Replacement parts like props and batteries are getting pricier and pricier. My department is considering a new research-grade drone and a bunch of questions have come up. I'm wondering if y'all can answer any of them.

1. Should we drop DJI and find another drone company that won't be under attack like TikTok? If so, what other drone makers are out there that are even close to DJIs price point?
2. Does anyone make a drone that still uses the Zenmuse camera and mount?
3. What are the current drone models out there, other than the DJI Inspire 3, that folks are using for terrain and vegetation mapping (fully automated flight that is reliable)?

I'm still very much going to keep my Inspires going until they die, but it's getting to a point where I am the only person in my department can use them because they've become so finnicky.

Thanks for any help you can offer!
Tom

Yet, you can easily maintain your inspire 1, don't give up! Only thing could be a legal issue as in EU the drones without class certification by the manufacturer (old drones) are automatically considered C4 class and thus some limitations on where and how can use it. But this is solvable with getting some additional licenses. Don't know how it is in US about that.
Soo the maintenance...
1. Batteries. I'm buying cell packs from ebay and replacing the old ones, it takes about 30-40 min do do that. Then a few charges and discharges to train the battery. Works pretty well and flight times are like new battery as it probably is.
2. Props. I have switched to different mounts and T-Motor Carbon Fibre props, they are amazing quality and for the last 8 years I have changed only one prop due to hitting a branch and despite the rumors that carbon props are shattering on impact mine at first place cut the branch entirely and secondly the prop had its upper and lower plates split apart at the place of inpact but still togather at one piece, this didn't stop me from doing 3 more flights as I didn't had a spare at the moment.
3. Controls app. We are using Crystal Sky's and they are fixed non upgradable any more and working great for what they are. The very bright screen, rugged design and the use of external battery that lasts 4 hours of non stop use is simply unbeatable by any tablet or phone.
4. The inspire is so cheap those days so we simply bought another one for parts or backup drone in case of crash or failure.

I've noticed that the weakest parts are the motor mounts/legs, their mounting points where the bolts are are getting some wear and cracs in the plastic trough the time, especially if there is heavy use like the Inspire is flown in severe weather with a lot of turbulence or simply at full speed and doing rapid maneuvering. So a few years ago I have replaced those and bought spare plastic legs with antennas for any case.

The inspire 3 is not for mapping, you can't run any mapping app so far on it's controller. You can do manual photos but if this is your main job better look for some of the Enterprice Mavics or M300/30. I've seen very good results out of Mavic RTK.

Sorry but can't recommend any other company as I don't have experience with other than DJI and DIY drones.

I switched over to the DJI Matrice 200/210 series dual camera great power battery life. There are some adaptors out there that adapt I1 cameras to 12 (matrice uses same in most cases I have not tested). You will also find good value on the Matrice 200/210 about 1500USD to 2000 without camera payloads. Matrice have RTK options. Use CAdance and Crystal Sky components.

Attachments

• 20240519_104744.jpg
    20240519_104744.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 4
  • 20240519_104358.jpg
    20240519_104358.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 4
  • 20240519_104257.jpg
    20240519_104257.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 4
I still love and use my old Inspire 1. The problem I have encountered is the assault on the 2.4Ghz frequency band. Modern drones utilize the 5Ghz band, which is much less occupied than its 2.4Ghz counterpart. As far as I can see, that is my Inspire's only shortcoming.

I have a cache of props, but haven't needed a prop in years. This, flying construction progress projects every week for the past 6 years.

I WAS able to purchased a brand new TB48 battery directly from DJI less than 2 years ago. Don't look for it on the DJI website. I had to go through DJI support to purchase it.

Just curious about your software woes. Can you go into more detail? For me, I am locked into older Go App versions that work flawlessly. I will concede that I have had issues with third-party software because they drop support randomly and without warning. It's quite maddening. Fortunately, I have an older legacy version of the third-party software I use, which requires zero third-party infrastructure (server) support. So it just works and will continue to work forever. So those companies are just going to have to suck a lemon. They're not getting my "subscription" to the "new version" of their software. I bought the original version. I own the original version. And will continue to use the original version until the drone dies. But I digress...

D

Hello all!
Thank you for the post and replies - interesting. It's so good to see that I'm still not a lone Inspire pilot trying to keep their birds aloft. Planned obsolescence is maddening when they can render perfectly good "stuff" obsolete when it doesn't have to be. I'm sorry - same rant. Anyway -
I had a question for Donny about using the "old" version of the DJI GO - I assume you have an Android that runs it? I ask because I ran into an issue where I bought a brand new iPad Air v4 and it would not work with DJI GO and my Inspire 1. It took a bit to figure out the issue, but the answer came directly from DJI- no more support for the A15 (or 16?) chip as they "need to keep moving their technology forward".
I found no work around for Apple using older apps on a newer device. IOS does not allow for using old apps without a 3rd party conveluted solution that may or may not work. That is what I found anyway, and I was just wondering if that indeed is the case, or if someone had found a way. I know Android is more forgiving about that with being able to side-load apps. I have an older Galaxy tablet that is not new enough so I'm stuck for now. Thank you again! Blaine

First, I want to thank all of you for all of your great input! It makes me more hopeful about extending the life our Inspires. A few direct comments:
@airblainer and @Donnie Frank the main software issue we have is with Map Pilot. Most of my drone use is fully automated flight-line stuff and I have found that I am pretty much stuck with MapPilotPro. If you are aware of another app that can do automated flights for mapping that works with the Inspire, I'm all ears!!
@niki your detailed reply is very helpful, particularly re. the batteries and props. Also, I like the idea of grabbing a used one for parts. Of course, we have two right now. Maybe I'll start consuming one of them for the other! I am totally unfamiliar with cell packs for the batteries. That is really interesting. What, specifically, are they? Do you have product numbers and install instructions?

I had a question for Donny about using the "old" version of the DJI GO - I assume you have an Android that runs it?
No sir. iPads all the way. Understand that I'm no Apple fan boy. But when it comes to the DJI offering, the iPads are a rock solid platform. And when I say "rock solid," I mean ROCK SOLID.

I ask because I ran into an issue where I bought a brand new iPad Air v4 and it would not work with DJI GO and my Inspire 1.
<sigh>...yeah...the problem with the iPads is that they are built to disallow user control. You have to hack them. Things we take for granted in the Windows environment, like simply installing a program or legacy program, is quite difficult in the Apple environment. It's not for the faint of heart. But the rich reward is the Inspire becomes immortal.

It took a bit to figure out the issue, but the answer came directly from DJI- no more support for the A15 (or 16?) chip as they "need to keep moving their technology forward".
"No more support" is a very ambiguous term. I used Windows 7 YEARS past "no more support." And I continue to use my Inspire 1 years past "no more support." That phrase just means no more updates. The good news is that we don't need no steenkin' updates.

I found no work around for Apple using older apps on a newer device.
It's a hack - a flat-out hack. Rolling back the iOS is impossible, so what I did was purchase legacy iPads with legacy iOS's. I think my oldest iPad is running iOS 10. I NEVER update the iOS (there's a hack for that, too). With legacy iOS's come advantages, like configuration later versions don't allow.

IOS does not allow for using old apps without a 3rd party conveluted solution that may or may not work.
Well, like I said, it's a hack. If there are third-party "point-n-click" solutions, I'm unaware of them.

I know Android is more forgiving about that with being able to side-load apps. I have an older Galaxy tablet that is not new enough so I'm stuck for now. Thank you again! Blaine
I honestly am unfamiliar with the Android environment. I know enough to use it, but not to hack it.

D

Last edited:
@airblainer and @Donnie Frank the main software issue we have is with Map Pilot.
MapPilot can suck my a**. I PURCHASED and PAID for their software just to be told a couple years later that it would no longer work unless I paid a monthly fee. F*** them. I can still use their unsupported version, but I have moved on.

Most of my drone use is fully automated flight-line stuff and I have found that I am pretty much stuck with MapPilotPro. If you are aware of another app that can do automated flights for mapping that works with the Inspire, I'm all ears!!
I used MapPilotPro with my P4P. I never used it with my Inspire 1. And these days I use UgCS with an M300. I use Autopilot for construction shoots (Inspire 1), but even that software has been abandoned by the mother company.

@niki your detailed reply is very helpful, particularly re. the batteries and props. Also, I like the idea of grabbing a used one for parts. Of course, we have two right now. Maybe I'll start consuming one of them for the other!
I have two fully functioning Inspire 1's, with a couple spares should I need them.

I am totally unfamiliar with cell packs for the batteries. That is really interesting. What, specifically, are they? Do you have product numbers and install instructions?
I don't understand the question.

D

I am totally unfamiliar with cell packs for the batteries. That is really interesting. What, specifically, are they?
I don't know their exact specs, somewhere on this forum was posted info about the original cells.

I'm buying those pre-assembled packs from ebay: TB48 6000mAh

I've seen posts of people geting them from aliexpress or similar sites too but my first purchase was from ebay and after saw the batteries are good I decided to buy the rest from the same seller. There are some people complaining about them but personally didn't had any issues with those I bought so far (4 packs). They are definitelly not 6000mAh, I did tests on every pack and they give something like 5300 mAh but the flying time they give is the same as new TB48.

The replacement is not difficult but it's always tricky to work with lipos, also need powerful soldering iron. There is some double sided foam and tape used by DJI for assembling the battery case also a temp wire/sensor that is glued inbetween the original cells. It's good to preserve the temp sensor and glue it with thermal paste inbetween the new cells so to have termal info on the battery. There are videos on youtube showing the disassembly of inspire batteries.

In short the process of replacement is to discharge the battery until it switch off by itself, then remove the white cap, disconnect the ballancing wires, disassemble the case, unsolder the main leads from the battery board. Then solder the wires to the new battery board, the new battery should be discharged as well prior installing (3.3v per cell), connect the ballancing wires, assemble the case, charge and discharge the battery at least 2 times/cycles so to get the board callibrated and that's it. Then I do a test with hoovering at 1m until the battery goes down to 10% and land, monitor the cells trough the app, if any cell start deviating too much or something else suspicious goes on abort the test and toss the battery pack.

Reactions: CoreySnipes

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olivedcoz4687