Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Aerial Ignition Drone

Thanks for watching! So we do have a couple regulatory things to work around. Obviously, being a commercial burn vendor, as the pilot I've got my Part 107. Adding the drone to our insurance was costly, and a bit of a journey because the underwriters hadn't encountered this particular application of drones, ever. Lastly, Drone Amplified has worked out the legalities of allowing for carriage of hazardous materials (the potassium permanganate spheres). We currently fly under their permitting, but are working with our FAA office here in Houston, TX to eventually work out a similar arrangement.

Reactions: SanCap
Thanks for watching! So we do have a couple regulatory things to work around. Obviously, being a commercial burn vendor, as the pilot I've got my Part 107. Adding the drone to our insurance was costly, and a bit of a journey because the underwriters hadn't encountered this particular application of drones, ever. Lastly, Drone Amplified has worked out the legalities of allowing for carriage of hazardous materials (the potassium permanganate spheres). We currently fly under their permitting, but are working with our FAA office here in Houston, TX to eventually work out a similar arrangement.

Thanks for the added info. It seems like the hardest part would be getting in the door with the entities that do the burns or does Drone Amplified help with that?

We're actually the contractor doing the burns (Raven Environmental Services) and we added the drone as a ignition method/tool about a year ago. I've been working in fire for about 7 years, and a number of the Raven staff has 10, 15+ years of experience with fire. In addition to aerial ignition, the drone has afforded us some pretty cool opportunities to capture and share fire behavior.

Reactions: SanCap
We're actually the contractor doing the burns (Raven Environmental Services) and we added the drone as a ignition method/tool about a year ago. I've been working in fire for about 7 years, and a number of the Raven staff has 10, 15+ years of experience with fire. In addition to aerial ignition, the drone has afforded us some pretty cool opportunities to capture and share fire behavior.

Sounds like a great life, if I can be of any assistance here in Florida, let me know.

Haha I've had this brought up twice now. When I'm recording in selfie mode, the camera films a mirrored image creating the appearance of a leftie vehicle.

The video is not working now, but I assume this is a M600 with the plastic sphere dispenser . I would think you also need to be A450 certified through DOI OAS and carded to fly this mission.

Here's a new link. Sorry for any inconvenience everyone. Had to make a change to the channel.

We are a private burn vendor and not flying for the DOI.

Here's a new link. Sorry for any inconvenience everyone. Had to make a change to the channel.

We are a private burn vendor and not flying for the DOI.
Thanks for the video. I was a aerial burner and burn boss on helicopters doing the same thing 20 years ago for forestry. Always good to see things progressing.

Very cool, and thanks for watching. I think BLM is using a number of these out West--I've heard some great feedback from the wildland fire community.

This technology is designed specifically for prescribed fire and fire suppression applications--not to be weaponized. Our company and a number of government agencies are using it as a tool to make fire fighters' job safer by serving as an alternative to manned aerial ignition.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaricruzRa