Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Aerial morphing. Did I invent this???

scroll down to Ford Dealership. a 5-minute clip with sound being used in the dealership showroom. Feel free to speed up the playback:

With all due respect, this is nothing like what I'm doing. This type of aerial progress is typical of what I WAS able to find in great quantity all over YouTube and the Internet.

and a different approach in a current work-in-progress using orthomosaics - Miracle Park. About a 1-minute clip currently. The Miracle Park is boring because it's all underground work up to now, but it's a novel approach that I haven't seen anywhere else. Kinda fun though.

Orthomosaics can be interesting, but again, this isn't really what I'm doing or what I was looking for.

D

I certainly know you didn’t invent this...
Call it whatever YOU like but I have 5
Different contractors I currently fly for
and EVERYONE of them uses this same
Progression of construction...
I shoot over the length of time from beginning
To end of project and edit over a length if
Time..
Been doing that for 3-4 years

Let's see it.

D

Great video @Donnie Frank , you have a lot of work & time on that production!
Similar type of videos for construction are normally referred to as accelerated time lapse. Your video is composed of video clips, not still photos correct?

Correct.

If stills, then I'm impressed with the movement on the ground.

No sir. Video.

Nice video, and great use of brand & sync of music to transitions.

Thank you, sir. Sometimes the music inspires the editing process.

You mentioned having to manipulate the transitions due to irregular frames between video date segments. Your manipulations were nice, and I'm sure consumed ample time. Did you compare the visual with various type of transitions? The transitions will often smooth enough as they fade & develop and often conceal a little variance in flight paths between segments.

I chose to use a run-of-the-mill dissolve. The dissolve doesn't hide much. Honestly, as much time as I spend on the dissolves, I easily could've spent more time. But the project was already over budget, so I settled on "good enough" for some of the transitions. Some of them fell into place much nicer than others.

As you've displayed nicely with your buildings & brand names; these products are often used for a lobby kiosk within new structure or within their corporate advertisement; from ground breaking through completion stringed together for a 4-6 minute visual of the complete build (4 yrs into 4 minutes).

It's my understanding that this video is to be used at a conference coming up this month.

The hyperlapse is more based on multiple shots over an extended duration within same time period (1-48 hrs), focused on the motion of the objects "around" the focal point: sun, sky, people, cars, etc. The focal point transitioning over a construction period is more time lapse, showing the transition of the focal point transitioning... rapid change in construction vs objects around the focal point. If Hyperlapse within a video, it's more for a dolly zoom effect.

Correct. This is nothing like hyperlapse, which is why I avoided that word. My choice of the word "morph" isn't exactly accurate, either. As pointed out in this thread, what I'm doing is more of a dissolve. The footage is sped up 4x to lend a chaotic effect. Ironically, speeding up the footage actually made it harder to stitch together.

@niki is correct on definitions of morph and wrap.

Agreed.

Maybe my small phone screen, I'm not seeing wrap in the transitions... but I'm also known to be blind seeing things too; I'm seeing a shifting or cropping of frames pre-staging for a transition.

In this particular video, as you observed, I utilized crop and shifting. In other videos I have actually used stretch, squish and warp. But I use those tools as a last resort.

The term wrap to me is distorting one image over another image. One image treated like a decal and conforms over the 2nd image layer. Difference to a Morph; a wrap usually changes 1 image to shape of the 2nd image. A morph is the "visual transition" between 2 Images that don't change... example: Woman to Man, Lion to Woman. In addition to @niki commercial example, there were several Dodge or auto commercials that morphed between 2 images. In a more modern style, the snickers candy bar commercials are a form of morph, more of a video morph, the subject is moving. There were a few years that morphing was the bomb, every one wanted to play with morphing. Not sure if still popular, but there was inexpensive ($50) Morphing software where you loaded 2 Images, indicated the common points between 2 images and processed the morph. Very Cool to play with... I made many of a Person and their Pet, I'd morph from Person to Pet, back to Person, save the file and pass to the person... impressive. Complex software algorithms, but easy for the common End User to create. I forget what movies first made morphing so popular. Jaws made the Hyperlapse Dolly Zoom popular.

The Adobe morph works much the same way. One selects points, yada, yada. It didn't work for construction at all.

As mentioned in above post, Litchi is a nice tool for video loops of constriction sites. Provides multiple videos very close to identical frame positioning for multiple transitions through the time lapse of construction. I'm 8 months into a 4 yr construction, video loop every 2 weeks (except poor weather) and a photo grid of 260-360 photos for Ortho & 3D model (GSP2, MapPilot, Pix4D, etc). I provide the 2D ortho to contractors & Owners and slowly building library of the video loops for a lobby kiosk when completed.

I'm providing the POI (as seen in the video) and overhead strafe shots for forensic purposes.

Wow, that'd be quite the task for the end product. Impressive, but tedious and I doubt a construction company would cover the cost of the hours to create.

Exactly.

The I1 might not be ideal for consistent tracking within same loop over time.

Correct again. Truth be told, my Phantom 4 Pro would PROBABLY be a better choice for this. But I like the fact that the Inspire 1 camera is on a 3-axis gimbal. I have trepidation with the Phantom 2-axis gimbal (which DOES have SOME limited movement on the yaw axis).

An I2, P4P or M2P normally track very consistently to provide the video loops within something like Litchi.

The RTK approach would be for stills... orthomosaic photogrammetry... 2D or 3D modeling. RTK and GCP to align photos and improve accuracy of true location. Not sure where you'd be gaining investing in RTK kit for video.

GPS tolerance is much tighter with RTK. The flight paths would be more consistent...in theory.

Many construction companies don't want post work on images or videos, they want quality base product that they take and post process.

Exactly. I've been working with this company for about 3 years. This is the first time they have asked for any kind of edited, presentation video. I was actually kind of shocked.

Because they have given me a good amount of work over the years, I gave them a pretty deep discount on this video. But the relationship is reciprocal. Seeing what's available out there - what other drone pilots are doing with construction progress - I feel I'm giving them good value for their aerial dollar. The next video will be a little more expensive.

D

Reactions: dougcjohn

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jenuk