Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Air 1 or 2 vs Mini 1, 2, or 3 vs Nexus 7 or 9

Reaction score
Which to get? And is the 16gb sufficient? Performance differences? I've read differing opinions about performance between mini 2 and mini 3, but cost differences are negligible. Clearly the Air 2 is the best via performance, but how does the mini compare?

Edit:
As the discussion has progressed, I figure this can be a discussion for all major tablet options.

Last edited:
Forget the Mini 3. Your choice should be between the Air 2 and the Mini 2. The only difference between the Mini 2 and the Mini 3 is the touch ID sensor. Internally they are identical.
16GB is fine but it depends on what you intend to do with it other than fly the Inspire.

Forget the Mini 3. Your choice should be between the Air 2 and the Mini 2. The only difference between the Mini 2 and the Mini 3 is the touch ID sensor. Internally they are identical.
16GB is fine but it depends on what you intend to do with it other than fly the Inspire.
The mini 2 is barely cheaper than the mini 3. Mini 3 is only $330 at my local Costco. Air 2 is about $440. Is there a performance difference? Is there a reason why you prefer mini 2 over mini 3?

The 2 normally sells for about $100 less than the 3 with the only difference being touch ID, that's it. If you can find the 3 at a good price then go for it.

The 2 normally sells for about $100 less than the 3 with the only difference being touch ID, that's it. If you can find the 3 at a good price then go for it.
what about Air1 vs Air2? any performance difference?

You need the Air 2. The Air 1 processor is not up to the task. I have flown the inspire with both the Air 2 and the Mini 2. While I like the extra real estate of the Air 2 the difference in transportability tips the scales for me to the Mini 2.

Reactions: drewmaw
Ed,

I can barely notice the difference between the air / air 2. The air has the a7 cpu.

I know you know this, I think you need some rest. You have been working too hard. Give me a call later if you want.

@drewmaw

The air 2 is just a tad bit smoother than the air 1. The price difference is about $100. If your looking for a new pad I would probably just get the air 2, it has the new a8 and is tad more future proof. But I have seen deals pop up on for the air 1 on ebay for $299 with paypal discount. @ $140 savings it might be cool to just stick with the air 1.

Either one will out perform the shield.

You need the Air 2. The Air 1 processor is not up to the task. I have flown the inspire with both the Air 2 and the Mini 2. While I like the extra real estate of the Air 2 the difference in transportability tips the scales for me to the Mini 2.

The Air 1 and Mini2 are the same processor. I don't see how you can think the Mini 2 is fine but eh Air 1 isn't. They are the same inside.

Air 1, Mini 2, and Mini 3 are all the same inside. Air 2 is much more powerful.

Does the Air/Air 2 fit in the tablet/phone holder easily? Or is it slightly too big, tipping the scale to the mini for easier use?

The Air 1 and Mini2 are the same processor. I don't see how you can think the Mini 2 is fine but eh Air 1 isn't. They are the same inside.

Air 1, Mini 2, and Mini 3 are all the same inside. Air 2 is much more powerful.

I stand corrected and misspoke. My apologies. You need a A7 processor or above.

Forget apple! I used a iPad air 2 worked well.But they have a bad back light. I've been using a nexus 9 and its works amazing! Great back light and cheaper and you can get maps without WiFi! So pros: cheaper, good backlight (great for when outdoors), has the official app, can get maps without WiFi. Cons: smaller screen, a little heavier (but so small you can't even notice it) and that's really it.

I have an ipad Air 1 and it's been working fine so far...about 40 flights with it.

Unfortunately, I found out my ipad mini was not a version 2, but a 1. I thought it was when I bought it, so I guess I got screwed on that one. So I need a new device. I also want to use my Cinemizers. So I decided just to get a Shield. They are relatively cheap, and I can attach my goggles via it's external hdmi. I don't have much hopes for the iOS app being officially released. Disappointing that DJI and Apple can't work it out.

It's probably good to have an Android device around the house anyways. It would have been convenient if the Moverios would work with the DJI Pilot App. They are amazing to use with my Vision, but kinda a pain to configure/change anything.

FWIW, I did get the beta iOS app (v 0.9.2) to work just fine with my iPhone 6 Plus. The problem is, the remotes tablet holder is just too big for it, so you have to rig up some way for it to hold the phone.

Ipad Air (1 - orginal)
around 9 flights so far without 1 hiccup!!

Only reason I would consider a Air 2 would be for the anti-glare coating, but in all honesty I have no clue how good or if the coating even works?

Unfortunately, I found out my ipad mini was not a version 2, but a 1. I thought it was when I bought it, so I guess I got screwed on that one. So I need a new device. I also want to use my Cinemizers. So I decided just to get a Shield. They are relatively cheap, and I can attach my goggles via it's external hdmi. I don't have much hopes for the iOS app being officially released. Disappointing that DJI and Apple can't work it out.

It's probably good to have an Android device around the house anyways. It would have been convenient if the Moverios would work with the DJI Pilot App. They are amazing to use with my Vision, but kinda a pain to configure/change anything.

FWIW, I did get the beta iOS app (v 0.9.2) to work just fine with my iPhone 6 Plus. The problem is, the remotes tablet holder is just too big for it, so you have to rig up some way for it to hold the phone.
I use a 6 Plus on the remote. The holder has two little bracket arms that flip up to hold it securely - worked great. My wife got me an Air 2 for my birthday so now I use that. Also works great with the holder extended out to its full height and the extra screen size is very nice to have.

Ipad Air (1 - orginal)
around 9 flights so far without 1 hiccup!!

Only reason I would consider a Air 2 would be for the anti-glare coating, but in all honesty I have no clue how good or if the coating even works?

TBH I couldn't tell the difference between the screens on my air 1 and air 2. Just like all tablets, they have tons of glare. Hoods are a must no matter what you pick.

Does the DJI Pilot app run on the Kindle Fire HDX 8.9? I see it's on a massive sale today...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop