Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Almost lost her!!!

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Ok Originally I did not plan to share this video but I have decided to show others what it looks like when the inspire one tries to get away from you. I was getting a sunset video this past Saturday in a large field near my house and this happened...... Yes I did an IMU cal. and compass cal. gps was all good to fly. I have flown numerous multi rotors so it's a good thing I did not panic. As you can see in the video every time I let go of the sticks it tried to continue running away. My wife actually was panicking and said she would catch it with her hands lol ummmmm no I love her and wouldn't allow that lol ;) I have submitted my Logs to DJI and now just awaiting a response from them. I am not going to fly again till then unfortunately :( and FYI i did not take it over all the houses I was in the field it went there on it's own and climbed to 400' and wasn't stopping until it hit that height. I love my Inspire Just want it to be right.

Reactions: GizaDog and Mazz
Glad you managed to get it safely back. This is the Phantom 1 & 2 all over again by the look of things.

Yet another reason we should have manual mode on the Inspire !

Reactions: DjiQuadzilla
Oh no I bet you heart was in your mouth the whole time and I'm glad you got her back. I (and probably a lot of other owners) am getting concerned by these type incidents (and the ones reported on the DJI Forum where two people have claimed that their motors failed and their Inspire's fell from the sky) and really don't want to put mine up again until there is a fix! I had the same experience as Ian Fraser (reported on another thread) on my first flight where mine started heading off by itself at quite a pace a short time after take-off ( all calibrations/flight checks were done) and it did not respond to my stick controls. It did however, respond to a descent command and it came good after about 10 seconds. I was lucky I was in a wide open area with no trees or other obstacles to run into. I hope you get a response Quadzilla and I'm sure you will share any updates if/when you get one.

Ok Originally I did not plan to share this video but I have decided to show others what it looks like when the inspire one tries to get away from you. I was getting a sunset video this past Saturday in a large field near my house and this happened...... Yes I did an IMU cal. and compass cal. gps was all good to fly. I have flown numerous multi rotors so it's a good thing I did not panic. As you can see in the video every time I let go of the sticks it tried to continue running away. My wife actually was panicking and said she would catch it with her hands lol ummmmm no I love her and wouldn't allow that lol ;) I have submitted my Logs to DJI and now just awaiting a response from them. I am not going to fly again till then unfortunately :( and FYI i did not take it over all the houses I was in the field it went there on it's own and climbed to 400' and wasn't stopping until it hit that height. I love my Inspire Just want it to be right.
How did you go about submitting the log to DJI? I would like to do the same for my flight.

Wow - some dramatic footage with some matching dramatic music. This flight was in dusky settings which makes it even more scary!!!!! Heart stopping,

Last edited:
.. I have submitted my Logs to DJI and now just awaiting a response from them. I am not going to fly again till then unfortunately :(
you mean youre not going to just Fire it back up and hope for the best? This is why smart, responsible pilots have better experiences. Not saying it is impossible for you to do everything right and have something go wrong. I am just sayin this is an example of someone who got something. Knows there are issues but is willing to put it down and wait a little. Cheers man. I hope they get to you sooner than later.
Aren't you going to start 10 threads saying DJI sucks and you are the most important person they should be worrying about? Nice to see some people with some understanding and class. And good job on the return and staying calm enough (I say enough because I'm sure your heart almost came out of your chest) to bring her in safely.
+1 for you man.

Quad,
I assume since the location is close to your house you have flown here before?

I ask because there is a beautiful historic train trestle that has been converted into a walking trail near our house.
I was so excited to take the phantom there but as I started to fly quickly realized that something was way way off as the craft literally developed a mind of its own! Was able to bring it back (went through almost a full battery trying) and was ballsy enough to try again and was able to fly a few batteries with minor issues.
Decided to go back a few weeks later and again same thing... I have since decided to not fly there! It seems like that location is a GPS/compass dead zone. What is really funny is we were driving down the road that goes past that bridge a week or two after these events happened and I looked at my GPS in the car and it was showing that I was driving in the woods.. LOL Kind of confirmed my suspicion that something is wonky with GPS signals in that area.
I have flown my phantom everywhere including other areas of the world and never experienced anything even remotely close to what I have out at that bridge... All that to ask this. Do you think it could be location related?

you mean youre not going to just Fire it back up and hope for the best? This is why smart, responsible pilots have better experiences. Not saying it is impossible for you to do everything right and have something go wrong. I am just sayin this is an example of someone who got something. Knows there are issues but is willing to put it down and wait a little. Cheers man. I hope they get to you sooner than later.
Aren't you going to start 10 threads saying DJI sucks and you are the most important person they should be worrying about? Nice to see some people with some understanding and class. And good job on the return and staying calm enough (I say enough because I'm sure your heart almost came out of your chest) to bring her in safely.
+1 for you man.
Thanks Mazz I figure I waited to get it long enough lol so patience is a must with new products especially one as cool as the inspire. And now we have the new IOS yet still being patient.

Quad,
I assume since the location is close to your house you have flown here before?

I ask because there is a beautiful historic train trestle that has been converted into a walking trail near our house.
I was so excited to take the phantom there but as I started to fly quickly realized that something was way way off as the craft literally developed a mind of its own! Was able to bring it back (went through almost a full battery trying) and was ballsy enough to try again and was able to fly a few batteries with minor issues.
Decided to go back a few weeks later and again same thing... I have since decided to not fly there! It seems like that location is a GPS/compass dead zone. What is really funny is we were driving down the road that goes past that bridge a week or two after these events happened and I looked at my GPS in the car and it was showing that I was driving in the woods.. LOL Kind of confirmed my suspicion that something is wonky with GPS signals in that area.
I have flown my phantom everywhere including other areas of the world and never experienced anything even remotely close to what I have out at that bridge... All that to ask this. Do you think it could be location related?
This is right out back of my house and always my practice field ;) for my phantoms,mini's, racers,and now the Inspire without any issues till now. Good thinking though :)

Quadzilla, can you explain how you brought it back? Did you just have the controls pinned in the opposite direction, or did it just stop trying to get away? What were the wind conditions at the time? Sometimes, at altitude, winds get much stronger.
I've had my Inspire drift slow and steady in one or two of my first flights, nothing of the magnitude as you experienced it seems, but I haven't seen this again since I performed my first IMU calibration. In my case, it just appeared as if the Inspire wouldn't correct for the light winds that were present at the time.

The music was a perfect choice. Thanks for sharing. Now we all know that it can happen and be ready for it. ATTI always the best choice to recover

I can't determine if the pilot switched to ATTI or not (in this thread and others). Have any fly away's occurred in ATTI? That's my big concern. I mostly fly ATTI. I use GPS for a hold while I fiddle with the App or to take pictures.

So that's the question of day; are ATTI flyways occurring also?

p.s. Also glad to hear you saved her. Whew!

Quadzilla, can you explain how you brought it back? Did you just have the controls pinned in the opposite direction, or did it just stop trying to get away? What were the wind conditions at the time? Sometimes, at altitude, winds get much stronger.
I've had my Inspire drift slow and steady in one or two of my first flights, nothing of the magnitude as you experienced it seems, but I haven't seen this again since I performed my first IMU calibration. In my case, it just appeared as if the Inspire wouldn't correct for the light winds that were present at the time.
Perfectly clear and minimal wind. It just went crazy all of a sudden yes I had controls pinned switched to atti and regained control thank goodness :eek:

Perfectly clear and minimal wind. It just went crazy all of a sudden yes I had controls pinned switched to atti and regained control thank goodness :eek:

Thank you for the reply. When you say you had the controls pinned, was that in GPS mode or ATTI? So if you were in ATTI and the controls were pinned, this maybe a issue to ground my bird. If you were in ATTI mode with full control, that's not bad for me since I mostly fly ATTI.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlesssouth