Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Altitude Alarm or Alerting System?

Florida Drone Supply

Approved Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.floridadronesupply.com
Obstacle sensing and collision avoidance seems to continue to get better, but we're wondering if any pilots know of an altitude alarm or buffer that you can set.

The situation is for a client who knows there are electrical cables at a certain altitude and wants to be more aware of their presence. Is there an alarm or buffer that can be used alongside a laser altimeter, that will alert the pilot within a certain altitude range?

Maybe a future idea for the DJI R&D team?

Thank you for any input you can provide!

Obstacle sensing and collision avoidance seems to continue to get better, but we're wondering if any pilots know of an altitude alarm or buffer that you can set.

The situation is for a client who knows there are electrical cables at a certain altitude and wants to be more aware of their presence. Is there an alarm or buffer that can be used alongside a laser altimeter, that will alert the pilot within a certain altitude range?

Maybe a future idea for the DJI R&D team?

Thank you for any input you can provide!
I think nothing beats a proper site survey and risk assessment but as a 'easy fix' if the client is using DJI based equipment could they just not set height limit within the app say 10 meters or so below the cables and the aircraft simply won't fly any higher.
They will also get a warning in the app 'Height Limit Reached'

Just an idea for no outlay whatsoever.

I think nothing beats a proper site survey and risk assessment but as a 'easy fix' if the client is using DJI based equipment could they just not set height limit within the app say 10 meters or so below the cables and the aircraft simply won't fly any higher.
They will also get a warning in the app 'Height Limit Reached'

Just an idea for no outlay whatsoever.
Great suggestion! The issue is they don't want to limit the height, they only want to be more alert within a certain range, to ensure they're staying far enough away from the lines. Just looking for a warning, when they get within a certain range.

Great suggestion! The issue is they don't want to limit the height, they only want to be more alert within a certain range, to ensure they're staying far enough away from the lines. Just looking for a warning, when they get within a certain range.
OK, I know what you mean but really any commercial operator should be acutely aware of their altitude at all times.

However, as a really cheap workaround......
How about have another person present at the job hooked up to an external monitor.
That person's only responsibility is to call out the height figure say every five or ten seconds or so.

Another idea.....

Use Litchi, which you can configure to do the same thing autonomously and select the time interval between announcements (at least it could last time I checked).

OK, I know what you mean but really any commercial operator should be acutely aware of their altitude at all times.
Absolutely! Just looking for some redundancy and extra caution (especially knowing certain wires can not be seen by obstacle avoidance sensors). We were thinking about a 3 party laser altimeter if we could get feedback and height zone alarms out of it.

I'd love to see an annuciator that is customizable to call out altitude below a certain value, battery level, flight time remaining, airspeed, altitude trend(this is important) and displayed warnings

I'd love to see an annuciator that is customizable to call out altitude below a certain value, battery level, flight time remaining, airspeed, altitude trend(this is important) and displayed warnings
Litchi does most of this with customisable announcement intervals.

In the UK (and I believe the USA) the pilot is required to operate the drone within visual line of sight, so surely you must do the same for any know obstacles? In which case, why not just use your eyes to prevent a collision?

I have operated near cables (on ships masts and cranes, etc.) many times without anything more complex than my own eyesight.

As a former fixed wing pilot, I feel that more information is always better.

I drive my car using a GPS map, I use Waze seperately because I don't like the interface for mapping a route. I use weather radar for keeping informed about weather(I wish it was combined with the mapping software). I have traffic collision management features in my car to watch my blind spots and closure rate. My Apple watch vibrates my wrist to alert me of an approaching turn. I keep an eye on my MPG's and DTE for fuel management.

I use my eyes as well and never allow the data flow to overwhelm or distract me.

That said, I'm never bored while driving!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defenderschool