Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Always gotta be on the lookout for low flying helicopters

Reaction score
I live on the east coastline in Sydney, Australia. It doesn't matter where I go along this coast line to fly my Inspire. I'm always encountering seemingly low flying helicopters. Its cool, but at the same time you gotta be mindful of them. You get a few seconds alert warning because you can hear them coming before you can actually see them.

I live on the east coastline in Sydney, Australia. It doesn't matter where I go along this coast line to fly my Inspire. I'm always encountering seemingly low flying helicopters. Its cool, but at the same time you gotta be mindful of them. You get a few seconds alert warning because you can hear them coming before you can actually see them.

In the US, it's my understanding that full-sized aircraft are not to fly below 500 feet. Model aircraft are not to fly above 400 feet. That guy was below you. What was your altitude?

It would seem the "big boys" need to remember they are not alone up there.

Had a closer-than-comfortable encounter myself about a month ago. Help buzzed overhead doing about 75+mph at around 200ft. I dropped altitude immediately when I heard it but caught the shadow on video (shadow was about 30ft long on the ground!)

Freaked me out a bit.

It was just a few minutes earlier I had been at that altitude.

Got me thinking about onboard ADS-B short-range micro-transponders for RC aircraft (which exist). Not sure if it would have helped if this pilot was ignoring regulations anyway, but might help in other situations.

Note: there was no helo port in the area, but Boston Logon was about 10 miles to the southwest. I assume he came from there.

I didn't think to get a tail number, unfortunately.

I've watched the video 4 times now, still haven't seen the helo! What time is it in the video?

Ahhhhh full screen there it is. How the heck did you you see that on your ipad or phone while flying? Thats a tiny dot for sure!

I've watched the video 4 times now, still haven't seen the helo! What time is it in the video?
Your right. Its a little hard to see. Need to watch the video fullscreen preferably on a desktop pc. The playback quality needs to be around 720p+

Ahhhhh full screen there it is. How the heck did you you see that on your ipad or phone while flying? Thats a tiny dot for sure!
I could see it as clear as day. It deffinately looks so much further away on youtube. I too had trouble seeing it unless i played it back on fullscreen and in HD. In reality it looked even closer.
I use a 10.1 inch samsung galaxy tab s with the controller.

Had a closer-than-comfortable encounter myself about a month ago. Help buzzed overhead doing about 75+mph at around 200ft. I dropped altitude immediately when I heard it but caught the shadow on video (shadow was about 30ft long on the ground!)

Freaked me out a bit.

It was just a few minutes earlier I had been at that altitude.

Got me thinking about onboard ADS-B short-range micro-transponders for RC aircraft (which exist). Not sure if it would have helped if this pilot was ignoring regulations anyway, but might help in other situations.

Note: there was no helo port in the area, but Boston Logon was about 10 miles to the southwest. I assume he came from there.

I didn't think to get a tail number, unfortunately.
Actually departure for helos from BOS (or most airports) is at or below 500 feet to maintain separation from fixed wing traffic. Also Helicopters are not subject to the 500 foot minimum altitude requirement for fixed wing aircraft so long as 'their operations are conducted without hazard to persons or property on the ground'.

Reactions: The Editor
Actually departure for helos from BOS (or most airports) is at or below 500 feet to maintain separation from fixed wing traffic.

How many feet from take-off is "departure", (1/2 mile, 1 mile, 2 miles, 400 miles)?

There are a lot more things flying in the air at low altitudes these days.
Low flying Helos better watch out!
Not just our little drones, but ultra-lights, parasailors, paragliders, hot air balloons, etc

Once upon a time Orvil and Wilber didn't have anything to worry about

Reactions: damoncooper
That guy was to low for sure.I think your altitude was not that high

How many feet from take-off is "departure", (1/2 mile, 1 mile, 2 miles, 400 miles)?

There are a lot more things flying in the air at low altitudes these days.
Low flying Helos better watch out!
Not just our little drones, but ultra-lights, parasailors, paragliders, hot air balloons, etc

Once upon a time Orvil and Wilber didn't have anything to worry about
Big difference between ultra-lights, parasailors, paragliders, hot air balloons, etc. First- how many of these do you see near major airports. Second, the size difference alone negates your argument based on visibility. Third, all three have the ability to maintain situational awareness based on the fact that they are manned.

Reactions: The Editor
Forgot to add, KBOS has an inner ring of surface to 7000 msl extending out 8 nm so if they give you instructions to maintain at or below 500' until clear of their airspace, 8 miles would be the soonest they could climb and at that point they would have to stay below 2000' for another 12 miles. That whole upside down wedding cake thing.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
klrshopfitters