Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Am I Off Base? Or, simple trick balancing ring?

Reaction score
I'm new to Inspire (1) and X5 so the idea of balancing the gimbal seems like a no-brainer, but I could get my arrogant butt (don't mean to be arrogant) jumped for this. Since I'm more of a photographer than drone aficionado I wanted to graduate from the fixed lenses of my Phantoms to different focal lengths. Not knowing what would be my fav I purchased the Panasonic 14-42 Lumix to help decided which prime lenses I would like. I pondered, how the heck to get the correct balancing ring especially since I'm fanatical (most of the time) about the virtues of a lens hood and wanted to make sure I could use the hood.

So, stuck a circle of hook and loop (generic Velcro) on the far back of the gimbal and affixed the mating material on a variety of coins: nickel, quarter, dime, etc. Seems the quarter was a perfect weight to balance the gimbal, and it's attached rock solid. IS THERE SOMETHING WRONG WITH THIS PROCEDURE? The gimbal clears the frame with plenty of room, no app errors?

is the 14-42 the pancake style that expands when powered on? i mean as long as the gimbal sits level when powered off then its balanced and means less strain on the gimbal motors

is the 14-42 the pancake style that expands when powered on? i mean as long as the gimbal sits level when powered off then its balanced and means less strain on the gimbal motors
if it's the pancake like the OLY (I don't think it is) it will be retracted when powered off and never balance. My OLY was balanced when powered off when I first got it and for some strange reason after the last f/w update is no longer balanced, if it's a little windy it decides to hop up and down I got a hood at amazon made for it but it does not have thread to lock to in and I lost it on first flight, I was going to experiment with some weights. For the OP, if you have the pancake lens DJI has the balance ring, though as I said it doesn't work, That lens is too light so it's weight is rear biased, weight in the rear will not work with that lens you need balacing weight up front. your idea will work on a nose heavy lens.

I'm new to Inspire (1) and X5 so the idea of balancing the gimbal seems like a no-brainer, but I could get my arrogant butt (don't mean to be arrogant) jumped for this. Since I'm more of a photographer than drone aficionado I wanted to graduate from the fixed lenses of my Phantoms to different focal lengths. Not knowing what would be my fav I purchased the Panasonic 14-42 Lumix to help decided which prime lenses I would like. I pondered, how the heck to get the correct balancing ring especially since I'm fanatical (most of the time) about the virtues of a lens hood and wanted to make sure I could use the hood.

So, stuck a circle of hook and loop (generic Velcro) on the far back of the gimbal and affixed the mating material on a variety of coins: nickel, quarter, dime, etc. Seems the quarter was a perfect weight to balance the gimbal, and it's attached rock solid. IS THERE SOMETHING WRONG WITH THIS PROCEDURE? The gimbal clears the frame with plenty of room, no app errors?

Here is what I did I made a sun shade to balance the camera by zooming half way holding the camera lens and shutting off the drone with the lens out.Then I made weights for the arm to balance it that way so no matter where you put the camera it stays there. anyway its my first time I rolled back to 1.8 FW and the zoom noise went away and is as smooth as silk. I did the other lens a little different. JPEG image 2.jpegJPEG image 3.jpegJPEG image.jpeg

Last edited:

I have been using coins (quarters) and gaffers tape for years. Works great and very need and unobtrusive.
Here are 2 16 second videos showing the balancing of the Olympus which is wildly front-heavy.
Rear balance:

Side balance:

Please disregard the zoom as it confused the issue, as I only used it to select future focal lengths and do not intend to fly with it. I will only be using prime lenses.

Nice, the replies affirm that balancing critically important and there's likely no commercial product that affixes various furnished weights to balance the gimbal. Velcro, glue dots, bungee cords, and duct tape to the rescue. LOL

A bit of self-deprecating humor, I had some of the 1 inch magnets about 3/16's thick that were perfect weight for one of my lenses (used on magnetic bb's) and turned on the drone and compass went into calibration mode. Dutifully attempted calibrating to no avail LOL Obviously that didn't work.

Attachments

• 1_2752.jpg
    1_2752.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 24
  • 2_2754.jpg
    2_2754.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 23
  • 3_2753.jpg
    3_2753.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 22
Hi everybody,
I'm also trying to balance the X5 with Olympus 14-42 pancake.
Here is what I did I made a sun shade to balance the camera by zooming half way holding the camera lens and shutting off the drone with the lens out
Wouldn't this damage the motor of the lens ?
Isn't there a way to keep it open while powering off the aircraft ?

Hi everybody,
I'm also trying to balance the X5 with Olympus 14-42 pancake.

Wouldn't this damage the motor of the lens ?
Isn't there a way to keep it open while powering off the aircraft ?

Remove the battery so the power goes out completely before the lens does its retract thing

Remove the battery so the power goes out completely before the lens does its retract thing
Wow, probably a noob question but, is this harmless for the aircraft ?
Also how much weight should I consider on rear and side ?

It should be about as harmless as letting the battery totally run out when cycling, I wouldn’t try to insert the battery powered up, but removing it should have no consequence.however I accept no liability for any damage to anyone’s craft caused by this action ?

OK what if for one reason or another the battery is bad, according to my research it shouldn’t be, but on the outside chance that it is, would you take it back?

Thanks, i guess i'll give it a shot.
Do you guys do the balance with the zoom in, out, or somewhere in between ?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
klrshopfitters