Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Another I2 falling out of the sky

Should be landed at 3.3v .... 3.1 is pushing it! Run the batts 10 times down to 50% to break them in. Then run down to 8% to calibrate. I try to land at 25-20% on normal flights

Cheers, Jon

Should be landed at 3.3v .... 3.1 is pushing it! Run the batts 10 times down to 50% to break them in. Then run down to 8% to calibrate. I try to land at 25-20% on normal flights

Cheers, Jon
That 8% is only once for calibration, and should be done on the ground with the blades spinning or just let it run down sitting on.

Not to attack you in any way, but you made it sound like it should have been done in the air or something.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using InspirePilots mobile app

That 8% is only once for calibration, and should be done on the ground with the blades spinning or just let it run down sitting on.

Not to attack you in any way, but you made it sound like it should have been done in the air or something.

Better thing would be to get an Inspire angle to run the battery past 10-15%.

Cheers, Jon

We've all got to start somewhere and make mistakes, just he made it on a more expensive machine than most! Live & learn :)

Looks like his mistake was to get it into a situation with a critically low battery where the I2 was needing/trying to land, but was getting confused/stalled by the object avoidance. In that situation, he's probably lost awareness of the exact level of the batteries while trying to work out what was going on with the OA-Radar and his garage. Quite why the I2 hasn't autolanded itself, I'm not sure, maybe he was unintentionally fighting it with the controls to the point one of his cells went critical and he ended up with power shutdown in the air, maybe it got conflicted with him and with a landing space it didn't think was ok to land in... only he really knows. He mentioned some friends taking their P4 batteries into single %ages - I wouldn't try to take a P4 battery into single figures, and certainly not the I2!

From my own experience of deliberately flying my I2 to very low battery levels so I know what happens *before* the brown smelly stuff hits the fan in the field, the I2 will warn at your low bat warning threshold, you can cancel low Bat RTH and continue flying, It will start shouting again at the critical level, thats why it's set ;) :D . Regardless of your set critical level, once it hits 10% battery, it will autoland itself**. No if's no buts, it'll do it. Unless a cell has a problem and has gone critically low, 10% should still give the I2 enough juice to land safely. By that time the pilot will be getting plenty of warnings on screen to alert them to the fact things are getting hairy-scarey! I believe from things that are mentioned in the manual (but I haven't tried!) that you can force the I2 to stay in the air under 10%, but you're going to risk battery cell damage, and the I2's manual points out the dangers of voltages heading south to 2V etc!

The Inspire 2 is different to I1 and DJI have made no specific Battery recommendations that I'm aware of yet except for how to store the TB50's. That's 40-65% level, with a full charge-discharge every 3 months. As to starting up the motors to get under 10%, won't work - they shut down at 10% on the ground, and if hovering, it'll land and shutdown. Only way to get the battery under 10% is to leave the I2 powered on on the ground** - but you're gonna be waiting some time for those V levels to drop as there isn't a lot of load on them at that point! Yup, I've tried it... and it's not worth the effort ;)

Running-in? Best thing I've found so far is to not thrash the packs for their first few flights to allow them to settle into their new working life, charge fully, fly kindly, and run down to 25-30%. After 4-5 flights, then fly them normally. Day to day use I do from full to around 15%-20%. I watch the voltage after 20-25% is indicated and think about getting home and gear down once under 20% (certainly once the voltage heads and stays around/under 3.5v from memory). My I2's usually back over the landing pad by 17/18% as I often need the extra hovering time for landing if there're any gusty winds around!

It's worth a quick check of the battery page to see what the individual cells are doing around the low battery warning rth time too - if one or more are dropping against the others then be a bit more cautious. Also pack temperature, the I2 batts are more exposed and so far haven't seemed to reach much over 30C flying in cold weather (P4 has been up to 50C!), but the voltages will drop suddenly as the pack depletes, and more so if it's cool and liable to cool quickly in cold winds.

Btw, Flying in for first few flights was found out the hard way after a critical voltage drop on it's maiden flight nearly forced the bird down from 200ft, that was after a run downwind, turn into the wind and short flight back upwind, with a full battery. Thankfully the offending cell Voltage recovered enough to clear the enforced landing and It's never reoccurred in the 50+ flights since.

(** update 4Mar2017 - DJI have now changed the Critical Battery Threshold down from 10% to 7% - NickU)

Last edited:
Hello, I understood from a reliable source that these TB50 batteries do not need to be reset as the older TB47's and 48's did. They are an updated design and as long as they are used properly, no reset is ever necessary. Now I could be wrong on this, but I think my source is right.

Reactions: Ftolino and _Milo_
In thirty years of flying RC I have never had a crash because I pushed the pack too hard/low. Before telemetry I would fly by timing and measuring how many mAh I put back in the pack. When telemetry came along, I have always flown by pack voltage.
I wonder if you could point me to any material re this - as my background in rechargeable batteries, etc would be to install and recharge in charger and follow the percentages, and this looks to be a bad idea - i dont have the RC background and grounding that you do on this

Reactions: bluelight.support
I wonder if you could point me to any material re this - as my background in rechargeable batteries, etc would be to install and recharge in charger and follow the percentages, and this looks to be a bad idea - i dont have the RC background and grounding that you do on this

Hello, I don't really have any material I can point you towards at the moment. My information comes from a friend of mine that did beta testing for DJI in the past, he is very knowledgeable on anything to do with drones. Most of what I know about them came from him. Sorry I couldn't help you any more that.

As far as charging voltage goes your charger for the I2 will take care of that, it will automatically shut off when a full charge is reached. The discharge of a 6s battery, which is what the I2 use, shouldn't be taken any lower than 3.1 volts per cell, that works out to 18.6 volts, some take it down lower, but they risk battery cell damage. As far as I know the I2 batteries ( TB50) do not need to be reset like the I1 batteries (TB47 & TB48's)

As far as charging voltage goes your charger for the I2 will take care of that, it will automatically shut off when a full charge is reached. The discharge of a 6s battery, which is what the I2 use, shouldn't be taken any lower than 3.1 volts per cell, that works out to 18.6 volts, some take it down lower, but they risk battery cell damage. As far as I know the I2 batteries ( TB50) do not need to be reset like the I1 batteries (TB47 & TB48's)
Manufacturer recommendations is no lower than 3.4v

These individuals will fly down to way too low percentages of battery so not unexpected.
A Lipo discharge curve is virtually flat until it finally falls off the plateau like a rock.
These inexperienced flyers are not flying by pack voltage but the totally inaccurate percentage gauge. They then cry when their new toy drops because they pushed it too hard.
In thirty years of flying RC I have never had a crash because I pushed the pack too hard/low. Before telemetry I would fly by timing and measuring how many mAh I put back in the pack. When telemetry came along, I have always flown by pack voltage.
I have crashed for other reasons :cool: but never over stretching a flight pack.

The battery instruction manual for the Inspire 1 recommends running the battery down to zero every 10 flights. Because I want my batteries to last as long as possible, I follow this routine to the letter. My I-1 is set up to give me warning @ 30% and forced landing @ 10%. To run the battery down as quickly as possible, I leave her hovering about a foot off the ground until the battery reaches zero. This can only be achieved by pushing the throttle up to defeat the self-landing. I then leave the bird powered up until she dies completely. This can take up to an hour. I have 4 batteries with roughly 40 charges each. So far, after running the batteries down to ZERO a combined 16 times, my batteries all work like brand new. So it's a bit disconcerting that ANY bird would just "drop out of the sky" for ANY reason. When/if the **** hits the fan, I want every last milliamp I can get out of that battery. "Dropping out of the sky" for ANY reason is NOT an option.

Sticking with the Inspire 1 until DJI gets ALL the bugs worked out of the I2.

Last edited:
Reactions: fei8820
The battery instruction manual for the Inspire 1 recommends running the battery down to zero every 10 flights. Because I want my batteries to last as long as possible, I follow this routine to the letter. My I-1 is set up to give me warning @ 30% and forced landing @ 10%. To run the battery down as quickly as possible, I leave her hovering about a foot off the ground until the battery reaches zero. This can only be achieved by pushing the throttle up to defeat the self-landing. I then leave the bird powered up until she dies completely. This can take up to an hour. I have 4 batteries with roughly 40 charges each. So far, after running the batteries down a combined 16 times, my batteries all work like brand new. So it's a bit disconcerting that ANY bird would just "drop out of the sky" for ANY reason. When/if the **** hits the fan, I want every last milliamp I can get out of that battery. "Dropping out of the sky" for ANY reason is NOT an option.

Sticking with the Inspire 1 until DJI gets ALL the bugs worked out of the I2.
So you let the bird just drop to the ground!!!?

Surely not taking any "advice" from you.

Also, anyone that knows the first thing about Lipo batteries is that you NEVER drain them to zero..... ever.... same a you don't leave them full.

Of course DJI wants you to kill them off, more money for them.

No....

This is a 10 minute video almost, and 39 seconds in he admits HIS MISTAKE (whether he was aware or not), and at 45 seconds he backs up HIS MISTAKE by confirming he was running at 12%, also not mentioning voltage.

No, idiots like this shouldn't be allowed to own anything larger than an x4.

Call me an idiot too because I crashed my I1 exactly the same way with exactly 12% as well. Only I wasn't that lucky as I was over 30m high. Ugly sight, completely destroyed. But why would DJI offer to repair/replace my bird for free if I am just an idiot making an beginner mistake?

So you let the bird just drop to the ground!!!?

Huh? Where the hell did you get that? Please read what I wrote again. Slowly. Or have your mom read it to you.

Surely not taking any "advice" from you.

Ummmmm...that's DJI's advice. I suggest you take it up with them. I'm just the messenger. As always, don't shoot the messenger.

Also, anyone that knows the first thing about Lipo batteries is that you NEVER drain them to zero..... ever.... same a you don't leave them full.

Then I guess DJI doesn't know the "first thing" about their batteries.

From the DJI TB47 manual:

"5) Charge and discharge the battery completely once every 10 charge/discharge cycles. Discharge
the battery until there is 0% of power or until it can no longer be turned on,then recharge it to the
maximum capacity. This power cycling procedure will optimize the battery life."

http://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/inspire_1_pro/en/Inspire_1_ series_Intelligent_Flight_Battery_Safety_Guidelines_v1.2_en.pdf

Of course DJI wants you to kill them off, more money for them.

Of course...LOL... Again, have your mommy read back to you what I wrote. After draining all 4 of my batteries back to zero some 16 times (total), they are ALL working like brand new.

Look...I don't mind that you're a total retard. It happens. But do you have to be so up-in-my-face about it???

Good day, sir.

Reactions: Paul Jacques
Call me an idiot too because I crashed my I1 exactly the same way with exactly 12% as well. Only I wasn't that lucky as I was over 30m high. Ugly sight, completely destroyed. But why would DJI offer to repair/replace my bird for free if I am just an idiot making an beginner mistake?

With all due respect, had you followed the DJI battery instructions, and drained your battery to ZERO every TEN flights, you wouldn't have that problem. I fly my batteries to zero every 10 flights with no problem. The battery meter actually goes to < zero when I land. The "zero" turns into a different icon when the battery is < zero.

Then again, I guess DJI is counting on some customers who have an adversity to manuals so that they can sell you a new bird and then tell you, "See? Had you just read the manual...."

Lol... I like that 16 times is what your base for "a lot" of charges... when you use as many batteries in as many devices as I do, I'll listen to the engineers over some idiot Chinese greedy people....

You keep draining those batteries, and I'll do my thing, I've read the book, I also use many more lipo batteries than most here and have read plenty on them. Even have a friend who designs specialty batteries, so who cares what you choose to believe.

Reactions: marctronixx
With all due respect, had you followed the DJI battery instructions, and drained your battery to ZERO every TEN flights, you wouldn't have that problem. I fly my batteries to zero every 10 flights with no problem. The battery meter actually goes to < zero when I land. The "zero" turns into a different icon when the battery is < zero.

Then again, I guess DJI is counting on some customers who have an adversity to manuals so that they can sell you a new bird and then tell you, "See? Had you just read the manual...."

You shouldn't just assume that I am (again) and idiot beginner because I did drain my battery periodically and am not a biginner What is it with you guys judging everyone in the blog? Who are you anyway.

Reactions: dkotinsky

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chris.thedude