Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

[Answered] No "drones" allowed on Aer Lingus?

Reaction score
I'm planning a trip to Ireland in July, and, just to try to avoid last minute problems, I emailed Aer Lingus for guidance on dealing with the batteries. What I received, instead, was a message saying, "We do not allow drone aircraft on our flights." This surprised me, as I'd not heard of similar rules from other airlines, and most here seem to have no trouble flying with their gear.

It's distressing, because the Inspire 1 figured very heavily in my plans. So, I wanted to see if anyone else has run into this with this particular airline, and to solicit advice. Should I try shipping the drone ahead? Has anyone done that? Should I try tearing it down and packing the bits separately? I can't change flights, and I've emailed Aer Lingus to ask about their rationale, but I'm feeling a pit in my stomach right now. :-(

I'm planning a trip to Ireland in July, and, just to try to avoid last minute problems, I emailed Aer Lingus for guidance on dealing with the batteries. What I received, instead, was a message saying, "We do not allow drone aircraft on our flights." This surprised me, as I'd not heard of similar rules from other airlines, and most here seem to have no trouble flying with their gear.

It's distressing, because the Inspire 1 figured very heavily in my plans. So, I wanted to see if anyone else has run into this with this particular airline, and to solicit advice. Should I try shipping the drone ahead? Has anyone done that? Should I try tearing it down and packing the bits separately? I can't change flights, and I've emailed Aer Lingus to ask about their rationale, but I'm feeling a pit in my stomach right now. :-(
Never heard of that before EVER.
I think your mistake was using the 'D' word.
You should have just said photographic equipment and cleared the Watt Hours of battery allowable on their flights. (Which will be the same as pretty much everyone else).

Thanks for your reply. Funny thing is, I didn't use the word "drone." That was their take on it, and it felt kind of knee-jerk. I'm trying to follow up with them, and I did make the point that this was photographic/video equipment.

Two things:

1. It's not on their website's list of prohibited items.
2. Airlines don't search your bags, airport security does. If you're worried, then pack your drone case inside of some nondescript luggage.

Thought I would post an update to this thread, in case anyone else has a similar question in the future. Short story is that I made it to Ireland and back with my Inspire 1 without incident. I packed my two batteries (TB47 and TB48) in Lipo bags in my carry-on, and checked the Inspire1 in a "case within a case" (the original shipping case inside of a Pelican case). At JFK, they stopped me to take out the batteries, ask about them and swab them (and the carry-on bag) for explosives, but let me carry them on once they were satisfied. In Shannon, there were no questions at all about the batteries. Managed to get some nice photos and video of the light house where we stayed. Even wound up with a 3D printable model of the property using the Inspire for photogrammetry. Flying it out over the Atlantic, where I knew it would be irretrievable if it crashed was a little nerve-wracking, but the Inspire performed like a champ.

I’m trying to take a magic pro on aer lingus do u think I’ll have any problems with it being in my backpack?

I'm not sure, as I checked my Inspire, and only carried the batteries on board in LiPo bags. The TSA at JFK was interested in the batteries. I told them they were camera batteries, but they still swabbed them for explosive residue. At Shannon, they batteries didn't get a second look from security.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GRQLarae44