Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Any reason why it would be dangerous for young children to operate the I2 slave controller on a family trip?

Reaction score
We have a family trip planned later this year, and I'll be seeing my young (6 and 8 y/o) nieces for the first time in a while. I'm planning on bringing my full I2 kit (multiple controllers/monitors etc) to capture some stock footage with my go-to camera op (wife), and I thought working the camera for a few seconds/minutes on a big fancy rig like the I2 would blow my nieces' minds. I'm racking my brain thinking of ways this could go wrong, but - as long as they don't run towards the drone when its landing (their parents will be present) - I can't think of any way that the slave controller can interfere with the I2's flight. AFAIK, the slave controller can't take over flight control or do a CSC motor stop. Am I missing something? Is this a horrible idea?

I don't see an issue, but having said that, if something DOES go wrong and someone gets hurt (even if not because of the kids on the control), part of the FAA report would be that there was a 6 year old on the controls, meaning there may be some liability on your part.

That's the only thing I can think of. So if you determine the risk is worth the reward, then go for it.

Reactions: atmosphericarts
I don't see an issue, but having said that, if something DOES go wrong and someone gets hurt (even if not because of the kids on the control), part of the FAA report would be that there was a 6 year old on the controls, meaning there may be some liability on your part.

That's the only thing I can think of. So if you determine the risk is worth the reward, then go for it.
Well, in the case of an incident explaining to FAA that the six year old was actually not on the controls of the craft but camera only should not be that difficult, should it?

Reactions: CoreySnipes
We have a family trip planned later this year, and I'll be seeing my young (6 and 8 y/o) nieces for the first time in a while. I'm planning on bringing my full I2 kit (multiple controllers/monitors etc) to capture some stock footage with my go-to camera op (wife), and I thought working the camera for a few seconds/minutes on a big fancy rig like the I2 would blow my nieces' minds. I'm racking my brain thinking of ways this could go wrong, but - as long as they don't run towards the drone when its landing (their parents will be present) - I can't think of any way that the slave controller can interfere with the I2's flight. AFAIK, the slave controller can't take over flight control or do a CSC motor stop. Am I missing something? Is this a horrible idea?
As the RPIC, you should have a plan of what's going to happen in the event that something does happen. If you're there for immediate take over of the controls and the kids have an idea of what may happen, you may be okay. I have older aged grandkids (teens) and even they were intimated by the beast. Have insurance, have a restricted landing/take off area, be well aware of everything and you're probably good to go.

Reactions: CoreySnipes
The second controller operates the camera. Other than getting some "interesting footage," I honestly can't think of any combination of buttons and/or joysticks that could cause loss of control. You might want to test the RTH button on the secondary controller to be sure that it doesn't actually initiate an RTH. I can imagine an erroneous RTH command at the wrong time could cause problems. The I2 has a second FPV camera, right? Which you will be using for actual flight, correct? So I don't think it matters what the primary camera does.

D

Reactions: atmosphericarts
The inspire 2 slave controller can be configured to trainer mode giving complete control of aircraft.
The good news is that the master controller will take over on initiation of any input.
For your application as long as the trainer mode is not switched on, the slave controller will only operate the camera functions.

The inspire 2 slave controller can be configured to trainer mode giving complete control of aircraft.
The good news is that the master controller will take over on initiation of any input.
For your application as long as the trainer mode is not switched on, the slave controller will only operate the camera functions.
Ah, thank you for the correction. I wasn't aware of this. I took deleted my previous comment, which was not correct.

The second controller operates the camera. Other than getting some "interesting footage," I honestly can't think of any combination of buttons and/or joysticks that could cause loss of control. You might want to test the RTH button on the secondary controller to be sure that it doesn't actually initiate an RTH. I can imagine an erroneous RTH command at the wrong time could cause problems. The I2 has a second FPV camera, right? Which you will be using for actual flight, correct? So I don't think it matters what the primary camera does.

D
Ya, I'll have to experiment with RTH as that's the only thing I could think of re: having the slave controller control the aircraft. I'll definitely be looking through the FPV camera when navigating, and my normal camera op will be helping the kids work the slave controller sticks.

Last edited:
The one and only issue I see in this scenario is that you (not the boys) will be exposed to a very distractive situation. It is extremely easy to make piloting mistakes with catastrophic results when distracted. Boys will be freakin' excited, but you must remain ice cold all the time. Ask another adult to keep them on a leash, you keep your eyes on the bird all the time :)...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop