Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Any way around the 4Gb file split?

Reaction score
I get around 5.5 minutes at 4k on h264. Since Murphy's Law strongly applies while filming, the split has mostly happened at very unfortunate times.

Does the 4Gb split also happen when recording ProRes or raw? Not that I have a need for either of those yet, just curious. Otherwise I'm gonna have to start/stop more often from now on.

Definitely a hot topic with some of the larger production companies we work with and the answer is no, you cannot get around the split right now. However, soon DJI should be bringing out ExFat capability with the SSDs. The split is a limitation of FAT32 that splits the files at 4.2GB.

ExFat.jpeg

If you want to read a bit more into the filesystems you can see the differences here: FAT32 vs. NTFS vs. exFAT - Difference Between Three File Systems

Definitely a hot topic with some of the larger production companies we work with and the answer is no, you cannot get around the split right now. However, soon DJI should be bringing out ExFat capability with the SSDs. The split is a limitation of FAT32 that splits the files at 4.2GB.

Thanks, that's good to know. I bet that's annoying when recording ProRes! (CDNG I assume doesn't have the problem as every frame is a new file anyway). I will work around the limitation for now (I definitely don't need to be recording straight over 5 minutes, at least not yet!) and won't hold my breath for the update any time soon...

there are no dropped frames between the two file, just drop the first one on your editors time line then put the second up against the end of the first, it's no problem

That's great to know! I haven't yet brought any footage into the NLE but that's happening soon.

Reactions: Advexure
This is common with a lot of cameras, you should have tried it first before getting all worried about it :) As posted above the files are seamless and nothing gets dropped between the files just drag them onto your timeline and they play continuously without any issue.

John.

Reactions: Advexure

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcusFalc