Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Anyone had success modding an I1 to accept a 2nd camera/gimbal + HD downlink?

Reaction score
Hello,

Have any of you had any luck adding a 2nd camera and 3-axis gimbal, including an HD downlink, to their I1?

Arguably, the M210 is most suited for my application (SAR/public safety) with the need for therm + zoom - but I need to make a decision soon and am wanting to evaluate all possible options; getting something more portable, lighter, and less expensive will, in many cases, be a worthwhile compromise.

These are my goals, if possible:

1) a strong, reliable downlink signal, with long range (in the neighborhood of 3+ miles)

2) ability to pitch and pan from the RC

3) integrates with existing monitor, ideally using the DJI app; if this isn't doable and a 2nd monitor is needed, it's not a deal breaker

4) the 2nd camera/gimbal would most likely be for therm - if the FLIR Vue Pro isn't too much of a compromise (vs the XT series), I'd love to use it for the weight savings.

I've seen several companies selling both fixed mount and gimbaled versions of this concept, but I don't think they're getting the range or integration I'm looking for. Things change all the time and I'm really hoping someone has come up with a nice reliable DIY solution.

I'd love to hear about your setup, its pros/cons, how you accomplished it, what you'd do differently now if starting over, etc.

Thanks!

Hello,

Have any of you had any luck adding a 2nd camera and 3-axis gimbal, including an HD downlink, to their I1?

Arguably, the M210 is most suited for my application (SAR/public safety) with the need for therm + zoom - but I need to make a decision soon and am wanting to evaluate all possible options; getting something more portable, lighter, and less expensive will, in many cases, be a worthwhile compromise.

These are my goals, if possible:

1) a strong, reliable downlink signal, with long range (in the neighborhood of 3+ miles)

2) ability to pitch and pan from the RC

3) integrates with existing monitor, ideally using the DJI app; if this isn't doable and a 2nd monitor is needed, it's not a deal breaker

4) the 2nd camera/gimbal would most likely be for therm - if the FLIR Vue Pro isn't too much of a compromise (vs the XT series), I'd love to use it for the weight savings.

I've seen several companies selling both fixed mount and gimbaled versions of this concept, but I don't think they're getting the range or integration I'm looking for. Things change all the time and I'm really hoping someone has come up with a nice reliable DIY solution.

I'd love to hear about your setup, its pros/cons, how you accomplished it, what you'd do differently now if starting over, etc.

Thanks!
Using the search function usually brings up these type of questions which have been covered previously

Dual Camera for Inspire 1

With regards to a reliable long range downlink I would recommend the Paralinx Tomahawk 2
Paralinx Tomahawk2

Using the search function usually brings up these type of questions which have been covered previously

Dual Camera for Inspire 1

With regards to a reliable long range downlink I would recommend the Paralinx Tomahawk 2
Paralinx Tomahawk2

Thanks for your reply.

Believe me, I've been searching and having conversations with folks until blue in the face. :D I've read that particular thread a few times now. The only product discussed, the Gemini (linked in post #4), looks very promising, but is discontinued from what I understand. Even still, I haven't seen any real world reviews from folks actually using it. It also appears to only work with the existing gimbal connector; whereas, I need something that can be mounted in a secondary position (e.g. at the tail). I'll contact them to find out.

Regarding the Paralinx Tomahawk 2, it's range appears to be limited to 2K feet and its price, despite the desire (and downright need) to get a lighter more portable package, would push me to an M210 setup. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Reactions: FlyBuffalo
Thanks for your reply.

Believe me, I've been searching and having conversations with folks until blue in the face. :D I've read that particular thread a few times now. The only product discussed, the Gemini (linked in post #4), looks very promising, but is discontinued from what I understand. Even still, I haven't seen any real world reviews from folks actually using it. It also appears to only work with the existing gimbal connector; whereas, I need something that can be mounted in a secondary position (e.g. at the tail). I'll contact them to find out.

Regarding the Paralinx Tomahawk 2, it's range appears to be limited to 2K feet and its price, despite the desire (and downright need) to get a lighter more portable package, would push me to an M210 setup. Thanks for the suggestion though.
What’s the legal distance you are allowed to fly for SAR in your country?

What will you do for batteries mate?

A six mile round trip with two cameras on board, not sure how long you'll be able to stay at your destination before having to RTH?

Good question - I wish I already knew the answer to what the range limitations are (signal + batteries) with the setups I'm considering...but it's definitely on my list of things to find out. :) Someone I've been helping on a recovery mission uses a P4P and has been able to consistently get out and back 3-4 miles with 25+ minutes of flight time. That's great, but having that, as well as therm and the ability to zoom in when distance is a factor can further help save a lot of lives.

I've been talking to as many people as I can and the consensus on whether or not this can be done with an Inspire or M210 and these payloads seems to be "it depends." ;) I know there are infinite variables, I'm just hoping to find someone else with experience doing these very things. From what I've seen thus far on the forums here, I'm in the right place....I just have to do my part and come up with good questions. :)

BTW, 3+ miles isn't necessarily the norm - but if the tech exists, I prefer to have it available when needed and, the rest of the time, hope that having that extra headroom available will translate to a stronger more reliable signal when working closer in.

Using the example of a backcountry mountain rescue in challenging terrain and/or conditions (snow/ice), there are places where one is simply not able to get close enough on foot and a longer range becomes necessary. In this environment, if you've got to book it for a few miles to get to the search area (doing the same on return) and that takes you 4.5-6 minutes each way (30-40mph) and doing so buys you 5-10+ minutes of searching that you otherwise wouldn't have, I'd say that's a whole lot better than nothing...

Good question - I wish I already knew the answer to what the range limitations are (signal + batteries) with the setups I'm considering...but it's definitely on my list of things to find out. :) Someone I've been helping on a recovery mission uses a P4P and has been able to consistently get out and back 3-4 miles with 25+ minutes of flight time. That's great, but having that, as well as therm and the ability to zoom in when distance is a factor can further help save a lot of lives.

I've been talking to as many people as I can and the consensus on whether or not this can be done with an Inspire or M210 and these payloads seems to be "it depends." ;) I know there are infinite variables, I'm just hoping to find someone else with experience doing these very things. From what I've seen thus far on the forums here, I'm in the right place....I just have to do my part and come up with good questions. :)

BTW, 3+ miles isn't necessarily the norm - but if the tech exists, I prefer to have it available when needed and, the rest of the time, hope that having that extra headroom available will translate to a stronger more reliable signal when working closer in.

Using the example of a backcountry mountain rescue in challenging terrain and/or conditions (snow/ice), there are places where one is simply not able to get close enough on foot and a longer range becomes necessary. In this environment, if you've got to book it for a few miles to get to the search area (doing the same on return) and that takes you 4.5-6 minutes each way (30-40mph) and doing so buys you 5-10+ minutes of searching that you otherwise wouldn't have, I'd say that's a whole lot better than nothing...
I refer back to my post #4.
If 3+ miles cannot be achieved legally - what's the point?
If you are working within a coordinated SAR operation you will be under strict operational limitations bound by both guidelines as well as legal stipulations.
At least that's the way it works in most civilised countries - for good reason.
There is usually a large amount of air traffic during any search effort and being 3 miles out with no SA would be extremely dangerous.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defenderschool