Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

anyone still have temporary compass error in flight?

Reaction score
the topic caries the question here

i just finished repairing an inspire 1 for a customer. I changed the compass board in it (these compasses just don't hold up that well)

i took it out for an evening flight and about 40 - 50 meters in the air i got the infamous compass error :/
i'm not sure how long it was in forced atti. mode but i think about 10 - 15 seconds
pretty scarry when it happends in the dark.

it was my last test flight before returning it to the customer but now i'm not so sure about that.. i did 4 test flights without the slightest problem. i winder if it has anything to do with the old bug a lot of pilots where talking about?

what is your experience? did they ever fix it in the more recent FWs ? or are you guys also getting the 10 second error once in a while?

and has it ever affected your gimbal shortly after the error? it seemed like the gimbal was drifting on the "yaw" axis or pan it's called in camera linge i guess

regards Søren

As far as I know, FW 1.9.30 is solid. No compass errors (never had that with any FW), and I didn't read about compass problems in this firmware on forums. There are no known big bugs people are complaining about. Upgrading the RC firmware can be a PITA for some. But you have to upgrade the bird first and after that upgrade the RC with the Inspire1 switched off.

The gimbal horizon drift disappeared finally (after 1.8) which was the only issue I ever had. It didn't came back in 1.9.30 so I have good hope it is fixed permanently.
Never had any gimbal yaw drift problems.

the topic caries the question here

i just finished repairing an inspire 1 for a customer. I changed the compass board in it (these compasses just don't hold up that well)

i took it out for an evening flight and about 40 - 50 meters in the air i got the infamous compass error :/
i'm not sure how long it was in forced atti. mode but i think about 10 - 15 seconds
pretty scarry when it happends in the dark.

it was my last test flight before returning it to the customer but now i'm not so sure about that.. i did 4 test flights without the slightest problem. i winder if it has anything to do with the old bug a lot of pilots where talking about?

what is your experience? did they ever fix it in the more recent FWs ? or are you guys also getting the 10 second error once in a while?

and has it ever affected your gimbal shortly after the error? it seemed like the gimbal was drifting on the "yaw" axis or pan it's called in camera linge i guess

regards Søren
Over zealous algorithms causing compass errors was fixed way back in early 2015.
Never had issues since.

that is very concerning to hear...

hmm.. i guess i have to do some more testing then.. seems weird when i had 3 or 4 flight without any problems. well i will see if i can provoke the error to appear again. if not i think a warranty claim on the new compass is necessary

that is very concerning to hear...

hmm.. i guess i have to do some more testing then.. seems weird when i had 3 or 4 flight without any problems. well i will see if i can provoke the error to appear again. if not i think a warranty claim on the new compass is necessary
Have you checked your mod values prior to take off?

yea.. around 1500
Hmmmm....... Is it happening at one particular flying location?
It is possible the geological makeup of the location can throw off the compass when you pass/fly over a particular area but if you have never had issues in that place before it's unlikely to be that.

it was just after dark on a soccer field.. the only thing i could think of being to source of the error was the soccer goals which is made of galvanized iron and aluminum.. but it happend just for a short while in around 40 meters up in the air

i have only been flying once before on that location with an A2 system without any proplems

i really don't know what it could be.. i tried to force the error back in different way and the only way i could trick the error back was to fly near a moped with nose towards it and that trigged a compass error.. but that's not weird because the moped is mostly made of metal..

i guess if i can't find the error again i will have to return it to the customer

Remove the nose cover and secure all the cables around the compass. The cables should be as far from the compass unit as it is possible. In my case it helped.

Reactions: KAlexander
ok i'll try that..

i flew it once more on the same location yesterday.. and no errorsc:)
i have a feeling that it was a one time occurrence

I'm having this error suddenly as well. When the aircraft performs a quick YAW in any direction, a compass error forces ATTI mode.

The issue for me is that I'm flying pre-programmed mapping missions and when the aircraft changes directions the shift to ATTI mode causes the mission to abort.

Going to try Leszek's suggestion, any others?

Never had an issue with my Inspire (running 1.9 firmware) but incessant problem on my P3A when I rapid yaw clockwise.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kurskmvah