Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Anyone try flying near airports yet (Safely!!)

Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone has actually tried to lift off within the 9km range of a major airport? I see the huge red circle on the maps, but I'm wondering if the aircraft really does refuse to lift off?
I have a request for a large warehouse area that is just on the extreme fringe of the circle and i don't want to commit to anything prior.

Thoughts? Alternatives?

I believe "A" mode will get around this issue entirely. Not that I recommend it. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong

Can anyone explain how they are determining which airports to restrict? Sea-Tac, a Class B has no restrictions, while a little single-strip Class G airport in a small town called Parma, Idaho has a restriction. Seems backwards to me.

Can anyone explain how they are determining which airports to restrict? Sea-Tac, a Class B has no restrictions, while a little single-strip Class G airport in a small town called Parma, Idaho has a restriction. Seems backwards to me.
My guess is that they'll catch up and add the class b soon. Does seem backwards.

why don't they take into account flight patterns, direction of runways and glide-slopes on approach? The app seems overly restrictive to me. We know exactly where these planes will fly. It's easy to set up a more appropriate flight restriction. OK, fine, it's probably not that easy.

The run way is like 500 metres from our playground.

Can we fly Inspire 1 at lower heights there for practice ?

The first major "drone" collision with an airplane is going to push an already delicate debate completely over the edge. Why risk flying so close to an airport? It's not worth it. It's just a matter of time until we hear about an airliner sucking a drone into one of the jets on takeoff just so someone could fly "close to the airport"

Last edited:
Reactions: GERZ
I live 1.5 miles from a major airport, and still drive at least 3.5 in the opposite direction to fly. Yes it's a hassle, but fly-aways do happen from solar activity, radio interference, loss of control, and other malfunctions. You may be a good pilot, you may be flying low, but can you imagine how your life would be impacted if your drone had an unresponsive flyaway into an airport or a manned aircraft? The courts would make an example out of you in front of the whole world. Embarrassing and life changing. Just ask the guy who crashed into the White House lawn and did no damage. None of us should risk imprisonment or unintentionally taking down a jet liner full of people, over the inconvenience of driving a couple miles. My point is, some things are just out of your control. When you are looking for a flying site, it benefits everyone to calculate unlikely events into the equation.

Last edited:
The first major "drone" collision with an airplane is going to push an already delicate debate completely over the edge. Why risk flying so close to faa airspace? It's not worth it. It's just a matter of time until we hear about an airliner sucking a drone into one of the jets on takeoff just so someone could fly "close to the airport"
true

Go here, read the info and watch the video: http://www.dji.com/fly-safe/category-mc
This info is also in the User Manual... READ IT!

Please...? ;)
Great link, thank you. I'm assuming they've added the same features to the DJI Pilot App for our aircraft. I like these safety features from a hobbyist standpoint. Eventually, though, there needs to be an advanced user setting that does no include these limitations. I expect in the future that drones will be able to use controlled airspace so long as they meet the requirements. Myself, I'm a Tower Air Traffic Controller, so this is very important to me. There are times I may want to fly outside the limitation of the software provided I'm in contact with local ATC and have submitted a NOTAM. This software limitation makes too many assumptions for commercial drone pilots. Since, in the US, we have no commercial drone pilots, I'm OK with it for now.

... there needs to be an advanced user setting that does no include these limitations.

The problem with that is there will always be some idiot who will turn off the limiting controls in order to do exactly what they are designed to stop! We've reached the point in our society where you have to do things and write code and install limiters for the lowest common denominators, i.e., the jack-asses. :rolleyes:

All it takes is a few morons to ruin it for everyone. :mad:

The problem with that is there will always be some idiot who will turn off the limiting controls in order to do exactly what they are designed to stop! We've reached the point in our society where you have to do things and write code and install limiters for the lowest common denominators, i.e., the jack-asses. :rolleyes:

All it takes is a few morons to ruin it for everyone. :mad:
True, I'm thinking of something a little more complex. And it's probably too complex for DJI to consider. The advanced mode wouldn't be available automatically. It would only be available to users who are logged into the app and who's accounts are associated with the FAA's list of regulated commercial drone pilots. Because there will be occasions for commercial drone pilots needing accepts and the qualified pilots should have the means to make the acceptation.

Reactions: yipDog and Soflms

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomasovinido