Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

USA Authorization ownership

Reaction score
Who owns the authorization? I work for a company. I fly their drone. I filled out a couple authorizations. I used my name and put the company name as well. If I left my job, what happens with the authorization. No one else has 107 cert. I no longer want to be the person responsible. What happens?

Best to ask FAA, but I'd guess since you took the 107 test you hold the authorization and not the company. Same as a pilot who works for ABC Company and he leaves, no one else can fly the plane.

Still, ask the FAA.

Reactions: Advexure
As @Casey53 mentioned, I would agree that you are the owner of the authorization. In your authorization, the FAA refers to you as the "Responsible Person" in your request for authorization, along with the names of the Remote Pilots, if these are different from the Responsible Person. The Responsible Person, who may not be the Part 107 Holder, may be the representative of an organization and is responsible for all matters pertaining to the operation. I believe all authorizations are named to a person, rather than solely an organization or company.

You should be able to get a quick answer from the FAA's UAS help desk at this email: [email protected]

Safe flying! :cool:

Reactions: William Gaddy
As @Casey53 mentioned, I would agree that you are the owner of the authorization. In your authorization, the FAA refers to you as the "Responsible Person" in your request for authorization, along with the names of the Remote Pilots, if these are different from the Responsible Person. The Responsible Person, who may not be the Part 107 Holder, may be the representative of an organization and is responsible for all matters pertaining to the operation. I believe all authorizations are named to a person, rather than solely an organization or company.

You should be able to get a quick answer from the FAA's UAS help desk at this email: [email protected]

Safe flying! :cool:

The waiver is "held" by the corp listed on the waiver. However, the waiver cannot be used if the responsible party (a named person) is not available to carry out the duties outlined in the waiver. They are not transferrable. So if you leave the company, the company still has the waiver, but cannot use it (unless they hire you as a temp contractor to perform the duties of the responsible party). This is my layman's understanding. If they want to fly under the terms of that waiver, they need to re-file (or hire you temp). Same goes for you...

Last edited:
For this reason, it's usually better to file for waiver as an individual, so it carries with you if you change companies. On the other hand, filing a waiver as a responsible individual for a company gives you some measure of "job security" or "indispensability" for the same reason... Since the process is free, why not file two waiver apps concurrently, one as an individual, and one for the company? It's free (for now) and you get the best of both worlds...

Last edited:
The waiver is "held" by the corp listed on the waiver. However, the waiver cannot be used if the responsible party (a person) is not available to carry out the duties outlined in the waiver. They are not transferrable. So if you leave the company, the company still has the waiver, but cannot use it. This is my understanding. If they want to fly under the terms of that waiver, they need to re-file. Same goes for you.

Thanks for the additional input, @William Gaddy. I would also like to hear exactly what the FAA has to contribute on this subject as well just for confirmation for all. I hope to have an answer from an FAA contact in the morning and will leave an update here.

Reactions: William Gaddy
Thanks for the additional input, @William Gaddy. I would also like to hear exactly what the FAA has to contribute on this subject as well just for confirmation for all. I hope to have an answer from an FAA contact in the morning and will leave an update here.

Your FSDO may not be entirely up-to-speed on this, if you need a definitive legal opinion on it I would suggest Johnathan Rupprecht, Esq -- also see my edits to my posts above. I added a little more color

Who owns the authorization? I work for a company. I fly their drone. I filled out a couple authorizations. I used my name and put the company name as well. If I left my job, what happens with the authorization. No one else has 107 cert. I no longer want to be the person responsible. What happens?
Your name is listed as RESPONSIBLE PERSON. No one else in the company can fly under it. You must contact FAA and request cancellation.

Your name is listed as RESPONSIBLE PERSON. No one else in the company can fly under it. You must contact FAA and request cancellation.

That's a good point, if he's not EVER going to be flying for them again (as contractor or such) he should cancel...

Thanks for all the input. I'm not planning on leaving. It was something that i randomly thought of the other day. I searched google and couldnt' find anything. Waiting to hear back from Advexure if they hear anything. I guess it could change the way i request authorization in the future.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kurskmvah