Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!
Reaction score
Website
www.pageforestry.co.uk
Hi,

I'm trying to do take some vertical aerial photographs fit for GIS mapping.

In the past (with a Phantom) I took a series of photo's manually whilst I flew the UAV in a box pattern. I'd stitch them together, and calibrate them with my GIS, and get a up to date map of the area in question.

Now I have an Inspire Pro I want to the same, but on a some what larger scale (imagine a square parcel of land 500m by 500m - 25ha).

In the attached example (of a snowy scene of heather moorland, trees and a track) you can see that due to gaps in the photo coverage the track isn't contiguous - bits have been missed out. I believe that regular images taken with consideration of the UAV's speed will prevent gaps happening.

My aspiration is to set the UAV on a Ground Station mission, flying autonomously, and I'd like to set the camera to take a vertical photo every X seconds (say every 5), so that there is sufficient overlap between the photo's for the photo-stitching software to work, without the gaps plain in the image

Is this possible?

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Marketal

Attachments

• Pano.pdf
    569 KB · Views: 21
Hi,

I'm trying to do take some vertical aerial photographs fit for GIS mapping.

In the past (with a Phantom) I took a series of photo's manually whilst I flew the UAV in a box pattern. I'd stitch them together, and calibrate them with my GIS, and get a up to date map of the area in question.

Now I have an Inspire Pro I want to the same, but on a some what larger scale (imagine a square parcel of land 500m by 500m - 25ha).

In the attached example (of a snowy scene of heather moorland, trees and a track) you can see that due to gaps in the photo coverage the track isn't contiguous - bits have been missed out. I believe that regular images taken with consideration of the UAV's speed will prevent gaps happening.

My aspiration is to set the UAV on a Ground Station mission, flying autonomously, and I'd like to set the camera to take a vertical photo every X seconds (say every 5), so that there is sufficient overlap between the photo's for the photo-stitching software to work, without the gaps plain in the image

Is this possible?

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Marketal
Could you just not shoot video in 4k, do not fit an ND filter and set a high shutter speed.
Then slap the footage on a timeline and pull still at say every 75 frames (which would give you a 3 second interval at 25fps etc).
Then, if there was a gap in your ground coverage due to a timing problem you could just pull a frame earlier or later on the timeline.

Reactions: SanCap and Tj_
Could you just not shoot video in 4k, do not fit an ND filter and set a high shutter speed.
Then slap the footage on a timeline and pull still at say every 75 frames (which would give you a 3 second interval at 25fps etc).
Then, if there was a gap in your ground coverage due to a timing problem you could just pull a frame earlier or later on the timeline.

That seems like an awful amount of work but I guess it would work.

Some of the photogrametry programs have capture apps that do this and I think some of them are free. If you want to build a 3D model from the pictures you'll pay for that service but the actual capture part is free.

Brian

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LewisuhaAbips