Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Autonomous Waypoint Navigation with the FreeSkies CoPilot

Reaction score
Website
freeskies.co
Hello Inspire Pilots,

We are FreeSkies, a startup based in Menlo Park, California, and our product is called the Copilot, an app which will revolutionize the way you use your DJI UAS. What we provide is a brand-new way of flight and video planning, allowing Inspire pilots to achieve and chain together complex and breathtaking shots with an easy-to-use planning interface, and full autonomous control. Our product is aimed at users who desire professional-quality videos, but may not possess the experience to manually fly their UAS and achieve them.

Our app is currently being developed to support both the iPad and Android tablets, and it will be compatible with both the Phantom 3 and the Inspire 1. It will be available for alpha and beta testing soon. If the concept of this app is something you find interesting, we would be delighted to have you join us as a tester for Copilot. Beta sign-ups and more information about us and our team can be found at our website,freeskies.org.

Additionally, if you are located in the San Francisco Bay Area and would be interested in coming into our offices to meet our team and test our product, please email us at [email protected].

For direct questions, please do not hesitate to email us at [email protected] as well, or leave a reply below, and we will get back to you as soon as possible.

FreeSkies – Who’s your Copilot?

Thirsty? No. Autonomous flight is scary and nerve racking. But its also something that will be new with the Inspire. I support any developer that is willing to put forth the effort to improve the Inspire's soft capabilities. The more participants, the more growth. Everyone wins. I'd rather cheer them on than b!tch about what features are missing from my UAV. DJI, like so many other manufacturers have become comfortable with releasing product that is 80% done. Better to capture the early adopter revenue than it is to delay release and launch a complete product that meets all of the originally advertised claims. Sadly, until someone comes along to challenge DJI, we will continue to be the sheeple in this market.

Looks like this was started out of University of Illinois at U-C... but now, as you say, is based in the Bay Area...
Would like to hear more how this startup ended up out there and why... o_O
My guess is because the film industry is out there... which makes sense...

Even so... because it was started in my home state and the idea overal has merit and promise...
I put in as a beta tester... assuming I hear more details and like what I am hearing... :cool:

Beta Testing, CoPilot, and Drone Center
Beta testing begins next week, CoPilot page launched, and Drone Center comes online
Hi Everyone,

FreeSkies is happy to announce that the beta launch of CoPilot begins next week. We will be selecting a group of 100 beta testers, so make sure to stay tuned! We would love to have each and every one of you receive a copy of our beta, but unfortunately this limitation is out of our hands. Beta sign-ups are still open. If you know someone who still hasn't signed up, send them to our site.

The CoPilot Info page is now live, with sneak peaks of the interface. Stay tuned for the teaser video. We encourage you to share this with your friends, family, and anyone who you think would be interested.

We understand you guys have many questions and concerns regarding the CoPilot, FreeSkies, or would just love to speak with our team. That's why we're proud to announce the FREESKIES DRONE CENTER. Check out our Knowledge Base to learn more about our company, our product, and drones in general. Catch up on the latest drone developments and FreeSkies updates in the News section. Sign up and join the discussion!

CoPilot is slated for full release in late September.

Happy Flying,
FreeSkies

Reactions: Ascender
Beta Testing, CoPilot, and Drone Center
Beta testing begins next week, CoPilot page launched, and Drone Center comes online
Hi Everyone,

FreeSkies is happy to announce that the beta launch of CoPilot begins next week. We will be selecting a group of 100 beta testers, so make sure to stay tuned! We would love to have each and every one of you receive a copy of our beta, but unfortunately this limitation is out of our hands. Beta sign-ups are still open. If you know someone who still hasn't signed up, send them to our site.

The CoPilot Info page is now live, with sneak peaks of the interface. Stay tuned for the teaser video. We encourage you to share this with your friends, family, and anyone who you think would be interested.

We understand you guys have many questions and concerns regarding the CoPilot, FreeSkies, or would just love to speak with our team. That's why we're proud to announce the FREESKIES DRONE CENTER. Check out our Knowledge Base to learn more about our company, our product, and drones in general. Catch up on the latest drone developments and FreeSkies updates in the News section. Sign up and join the discussion!

CoPilot is slated for full release in late September.

Happy Flying,
FreeSkies

Thank you for offering beta availability via Inspire Pilots.
I would ask the same question I ask all companies/organisations who offer for our members to formally test their products for them.
  • Do you require an NDA to be put in place?
  • What liability do you cover if a member loses or crashes their aircraft due to erroneous code in your software? Will you replace/repair their Inspire?
Thank you in advance.

Thank you for offering beta availability via Inspire Pilots.
I would ask the same question I ask all companies/organisations who offer for our members to formally test their products for them.
  • Do you require an NDA to be put in place?
  • What liability do you cover if a member loses or crashes their aircraft due to erroneous code in your software? Will you replace/repair their Inspire?
Thank you in advance.

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out to us.

1. Beta testers for our app will not be required to sign an NDA.

2. Our company currently does not have any policy put in place for compensation of crashed or lost aircraft. We sincerely hope that none such incidents occur. If they do, however, we will be dealing with them on a case-by-case basis.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

-Howard at Freeskies

I signed up and went through a tedious enrolment procedure, including upgrading my Ipad to IOS 9Beta. But the beta test turns out to be only for Phantom3! This is only mentioned in a Beta eligibility agreement which you see after you start the enrolment.

Maybe it was my own fault and didn't pay enough attention.
.......Although one could expect that posting on the InspirePilots forum makes people think it's for the Inspire! Where can I find the "this is only for Phantom3" warning from Freeskies, here on the forum?
Have I overlooked a thread or post?

Took me a good part of the day to restore my ipad since the DJIPilot app didn't work well with IOS9.

Be warned, not for Inspire yet.....safe yourself some time/trouble.

Last edited:
You guys so thirsty for autonomous flight it's ridiculous! Lol!
I'm working with DJI app and Litchi and Litchi has never crashed.That's why it's important to support these guys.Maybe one day DJI will make reliable software if they are challenged by them.
I will subscribe and follow this.
Also these guys listen to what we want and it's software mainly for flying and filming.No social media crap or editing stuff.

Hello Inspire Pilots,

We are happy to announce the launch date for the FreeSkies CoPilot, now with Inspire capability. It's been a hectic couple of weeks and we are excited to finally get the app out to all of our faithful fans! Find out more here: Silicon Valley Startup, FreeSkies, Unveils a Simple and Safe Way to Fly Your Drone - FreeSkies - Drone Center.
Is this for the Inspire too?It looks so as I read your homepage.
What I mean is the reply of Lake _Flyer

For those of us that arent on the Beta program, do you have documentation and/or videos we can watch to start learning? I guess too late to get on to Beta testing?

CoPilot Basic is now live on the App Store. Currently compatible with the P3A, P3P, and Inspire 1 (Standard compatibility coming soon) and iOS 9. Apple Maps 3D data is limited, please check your area before purchasing. We love our early adopters so for the month of October CoPilot is 20% off at $39.99.

Thank you for supporting us in this journey and we hope you enjoy CoPilot as much as we have building it! Happy Flying! Subscribers, check your email for full details and find out more at http://freeskies.co/copilot.html!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop