Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Autopilot revisited...

Here's what I do when I need mapping. Enable wifi hotspot on your phone. Connect iPad to the hotspot you just created. You'll have internet on your iPad! No trouble at all.

Reactions: Advexure
BTW, just noticed that Autopilot (and DJI GO4) not really like iOS 11. Will reinstall iOS 10 on my iPad but keep it on my iPhone 6S Plus

Interesting.
Here's what I do when I need mapping. Enable wifi hotspot on your phone. Connect iPad to the hotspot you just created. You'll have internet on your iPad! No trouble at all.

And when you're out of cell range?

This takes us full swing back to my original suggestion of cache-ing the shoot location.

I really wrestled with this decision. Ultimately, I purchased the WiFi edition. The price difference between the two was too profound to justify cell service to my iPad. If one plans ahead, it's pretty easy to cache the day's map data. Plus, I often shoot in remote locations where there's no cell service. Plus, I would have to update my data plan AND pay an extra fee for the iPad. At the end of the day, I just couldn't justify essentially doubling the $480 cost of the iPad Pro for cell service I *might* find convenient once or twice a month. My business partner has a WiFi hotspot, so if we have to, we can connect to it.

So far, in a month of ownership and roughly a dozen shoots, I haven't regretted my decision.

DRONE EMAILS FORUM ETC

Hi @Donnie Frank

Caveat, I'm quite new to Autopilot and may well be missing something obvious but I have a question regarding planning missions when in a remote location with no mobile/cell signal.

You mention caching the map which seems like the obvious thing to do. However I have 'Saved' my waypoint missions for a specific location and then come back to them (a few weeks later) and while I get the waypoints in the correct geolocation (I think, or at least in the right part of the world) I get no map detail...
  1. Is there a way to save planned missions with map detail for a prolonged period (until I delete)?.. That fact that it "disappears" over time and I don't know why worries me.
  2. It mentions in the 'Tutorial' using map tiles saved to an external server.. This sounds interesting, as one could map an isolated area on a recce to great detail and then preplan on this in AP and use once in the filed as long as there is GPS - I'm hoping?
  3. If you find yourself in the field without a clear visually detailed map (green blob!), I'm assuming I can still 'use the aircrafts location' to drop waypoints in three dimensional space and create a specific mission/move (as long as I have GPS lock).
Some of the above I can test and I will but I thought I'd ask more experienced pilots for feedback and workflows that I might not have considered before I run off down rabbit holes!

Many thanks

Ben

You can plan any mission at home on your iPhone or iPad and save that mission.
When you come (weeks) later, just load the mission and fly. Regardless cell reception or not. This goes for all Autopilot missions except Airspace. Then you need a cell / Wi-Fi signal

IMG_1299.PNG IMG_1300.PNG Thanks Oyibo VFX...

I've tried this and get different results... See two screen shots attached..

This is an old mission, recalled..

First I loaded without wifi/cell and this is when I get the blurred map..
As you can see I can see the zipline but no map detail.

The second screen shot is once I turn wifi/cell on.. It then loads the detail.

I want the detail without signal.

Thanks

I got you. Autopilot just tells the drone to follow certain missions. A map is not required. It flies by GPS signal. So... whenever you have cell or not, changes nothing on the mission

DRONE EMAILS FORUM ETC

Hi @Donnie Frank

Caveat, I'm quite new to Autopilot and may well be missing something obvious but I have a question regarding planning missions when in a remote location with no mobile/cell signal.

You mention caching the map which seems like the obvious thing to do. However I have 'Saved' my waypoint missions for a specific location and then come back to them (a few weeks later) and while I get the waypoints in the correct geolocation (I think, or at least in the right part of the world) I get no map detail...
  1. Is there a way to save planned missions with map detail for a prolonged period (until I delete)?.. That fact that it "disappears" over time and I don't know why worries me.
  2. It mentions in the 'Tutorial' using map tiles saved to an external server.. This sounds interesting, as one could map an isolated area on a recce to great detail and then preplan on this in AP and use once in the filed as long as there is GPS - I'm hoping?
  3. If you find yourself in the field without a clear visually detailed map (green blob!), I'm assuming I can still 'use the aircrafts location' to drop waypoints in three dimensional space and create a specific mission/move (as long as I have GPS lock).
Some of the above I can test and I will but I thought I'd ask more experienced pilots for feedback and workflows that I might not have considered before I run off down rabbit holes!

Many thanks

Ben

Hey Ben. It's kind of tough to answer your question because I'm not sure we use our Autopilots the same way....so I don't think I can answer your questions directly. However, I can share information that might help.

For any aerial mission I do, I always assume that I'm going to be in a remote location beyond cell service. This is a VERY good paradigm, as sometimes cell service just stops, even if you're in range. That said...

I write my Autopilot missions at home, and then perfect them in the field. This can be time consuming if you're doing fully automated missions, which include camera movement. But there's good news. Once a mission is complete, perfected and tested, you can upload it to the Autopilot servers. Of course, you have to have Internet access, so I just wait until I get home. That said...

The missions do NOT save map data. But I have good news. Simply load the mission at your house before you leave, and it will work with Google Maps to load map data. Once you have this data, simply pause your iPad (don't shut it down). Once you reopen the mission on site, the map data will be there.

Should your iPad die, purchase another iPad, load the Autopilot program, log in to Autopilot, and all your missions will automatically load!

So...I THINK this answers your questions on how to insure mission integrity AND make sure you have maps on site.

Bonus: You can load and close several missions. They will all hold on to map data.

Short answers to your questions:

1. No.
2. I don't know.
3. Yes.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Donnie

Hey Donnie.

Thank you very much for your reply and explanation. You have indeed answered all my questions and it's good to have the confirmation of an experienced user to draw and build on - much appreciated.

I'm wanting to use AP for cinematography purposes, so like you camera/Gimbal moves are a key component of what I need and having a detailed map is a must for getting me in a good starting place.

Cheers
Ben

Hey Donnie.

Thank you very much for your reply and explanation. You have indeed answered all my questions and it's good to have the confirmation of an experienced user to draw and build on - much appreciated.

I'm wanting to use AP for cinematography purposes, so like you camera/Gimbal moves are a key component of what I need and having a detailed map is a must for getting me in a good starting place.

Cheers
Ben

Here's a video compilation of a fully automated Autopilot flight for a construction client. I BELIEVE this is the first time someone has attempted to morph several flights over time. As of this writing, I have roughly 3 or 4 flights I need to add to this video.

Without full automation, including camera movement, something like this would not be possible. That said, the inaccuracy of the GNSS is the bane of my existence. Fortunately, shooting in 4K and delivering in 1080p gives me enough of a digital palette that I can sort of stitch the raw footage together. It's not seamless, for sure. And at this point, these are just "thrown together" test videos. The final video will be color corrected and will, hopefully, be a little more "seamless" (if that's even possible).

Enjoy:

Here's a video compilation of a fully automated Autopilot flight for a construction client. I BELIEVE this is the first time someone has attempted to morph several flights over time. As of this writing, I have roughly 3 or 4 flights I need to add to this video.

Without full automation, including camera movement, something like this would not be possible. That said, the inaccuracy of the GNSS is the bane of my existence. Fortunately, shooting in 4K and delivering in 1080p gives me enough of a digital palette that I can sort of stitch the raw footage together. It's not seamless, for sure. And at this point, these are just "thrown together" test videos. The final video will be color corrected and will, hopefully, be a little more "seamless" (if that's even possible).

Enjoy:

I have morphed before but I like your footage

Hi Donnie,

This is a great share.. I'm looking to do this exact same thing but at a much lower altitude and with one subject in frame.

I'd already discussed with the DP shooting wider than needed so we have wiggle room to warp and stabilise. And we've chosen a location with no graphic hard lines which I'm hoping will help the cheat as lineup wont be as critical in post.

The element I'm worried most about is as you point out, getting back into the same spot, you look pretty **** close though I have to say.

We're also in the middle of nowhere, hence the map question.

Thanks again for sharing and feel free to throw me any other gems you may have!

Cheers
Ben

I have morphed before but I like your footage

I would love to see your footage. I have scoured YouTube and even Google several times looking for similar construction footage, and I've yet to find anything even remotely close. I entertain the possibility my search is flawed. Please post your footage.

Hey,

It's more a timeline than a morph but it is over 8 months if I remember correctly

Ahhhh....stills. I did something similar to this early on with my Phantom 1 (before GPS and telemetry data!). This was one of my first construction gigs. The client picked the music. He paid me in gold. How funny is that?

Reactions: Oyibo VFX

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fastprintstar