Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Awesome SRP Filters for the Inspire 1 {VIDEO}

Reaction score
So I made a little video review abut my SRP filters for the Inspire 1. IMO these are the best filters available for this camera. I think they really help my image and allow me to use the proper shutter speed. The video shows you how to dial out the glare on things too.

Last edited:
So im on the fence about ordering a filter set for the inspire.

I primarily film wakeboarding and feel like the higher shutter speed is not a bad thing as we are slowing the footage down from 1080@60 to 1080@30 for some slow mo shots. The only think i see that might be beneficial is a polarized lens... any input?

Reactions: iswimmer
If you're shooting at 1080p60 then your shutter should be 120 anyway, which is faster. That's the 180 rule for video. Shutter should be double your frame-rate. If you don't use a filter, or if you use the stock filter in daylight you have to set the shutter too fast, to the point of introducing rolling shutter artifacts (jello) to the image. So good filters will help your desired frame-rate too. Also the CP part of the filter can cut the glare on the water, allowing you to see more water and less blown out white reflections. There's no way around it, the Inspire needs good strong filters.

Last edited:
hmm i always was under the impression 1/8000 was faster?

Taking stills at 1/8000 shutter speed allows for very crisp images of moving objects? Why would I want to film at a slower shutter speed 1/120 for example ?

Taking stills is a completely different way of working than taking video. Having a overly crisp image isn't necessarily good for video. You want to the movement to look natural. Like I said, if you're shutter is too fast, you start to get jello with these CMOS sensors. You want a little smear in the image to keep it natural. These are basic rules of video. Yes one can break the rules if you know what you're doing and desire the effect. Like in the beginning of the movie Saving Private Ryan, they use a fast shutter speed to make the video look jittery, which enhances the emotion of storming a beach when you're filled with adrenalin. But generally speaking, the 180 rule is that you keep your shutter at twice your frame-rate. But go ahead and do some tests. Shoot video with no filter, and a 1/8000 shutter speed. See if you like the result.

Im not sure that is 100% correct for action sport videos.

The last thing i want is a motion blured "film" look for my clips.

I always shoot with the stock ND filter, and yes the shutter is usually higher than 1/120...

I just dont know if spending $100 on filters is going to yeild me any results id like

I have the SRP filters and have noticed in photo 4:3 mode the filter clips the corners. Otherwise the filters are awesome. They are a little heavy around 10 grams compared to the stock which is about 3.5 grams I believe. When mounted and the i1 is off, the camera droops down. I have not noticed any issues in flight though.

Im not sure that is 100% correct for action sport videos.

The last thing i want is a motion blured "film" look for my clips.

I always shoot with the stock ND filter, and yes the shutter is usually higher than 1/120...

I just dont know if spending $100 on filters is going to yeild me any results id like

That's the thing, you don't know. It's not about the 100.00. It's about knowing when to use an ND filter. These cameras don't have aperture adjustments, so the only way to control the exposure and still put the shutter where you need it to is to use an ND filter. I't s just basic videography as far as shutter speeds go. Every camera operator used ND filters, whether it's the screw on types, or of their camera has them built in. Maybe you won't want them all the time, but I doubt any videographer NEVER uses ND. And like I said, at higher shutter speeds you start to get rolling shutter artifacts. This is why GoPros get jello. They can only control exposure with the shutter, so on bright days the shutter is very fast, and the footage can look all wobbly, or unnaturally juddery and crisp. Put an ND filter on and things start looking more like real video. Anyway, I wouldn't want anyone to try anything they are against. I'm just stating the facts about ND filters. Every camera needs them at one point or another.

Been looking for just this... darker ND filters with an adjustable CP... :cool:
Took some video yesterday over rain saturated ground... that drove home the need for CP with a darker ND then stock... :(
I'm getting a goofy reflection off vegetation when the sun is behind and above me which is visible in the video... :eek:
I know it's because the camera is picking up the wavelengths that healthy well watered vegetation naturally reflect... o_O
Been researching the subject for some time and knew I needed to do something at some point... :oops:
As DronePilot points out and the SRP website also warns... it will clip the corners in stills...
That's fine, as I can make allowance for it when framing stills and then crop it in post...
Your video was well made and I ordered a set just now to try out myself... :D
Will post a follow up personal review here in an edit... at a later date... ;)

On edit - yep I can pick out this issue in the below video you posted and am delighted it should help solve my problem... :cool:

Last edited:
Cool! I'm goad I could help. Here's a clip showing the same filter used with and without the glare cut.

any chance you should film a moving object with the nd filter at 1/120 and then without at a higher shutter...
No, sorry. I don't have time to do your testing for you. I will say that your footage will only look better when you use the proper shutter speed. I'm not selling these filters. I just use them. I've been shooting video for 15 years and shooting action at 60fps with a 120 shutter is normal. Here's some regular video I shot of a rodeo in slow motion. Shot at 120 shutter speed at 60fps.

i just cant see why you would ever want a "motion blurr" subject while filming action sports Im not trying to make an indie film here or slow down already slow objects.

I know you can't see why. I've tried to explain it to you. A little motion blur is good, and normal. If you don't agree, please continue shooting at a high shutter speed with no filters. You will get jello and have very crisp, unnatural looking video. If that's your style, then do not get ND filters.

i shoot with an ND filter.

You just showed me a rodeo slowed down... didnt know rodeos in real life were slowed? seems unnatural to me.

I guess i jsut dont understand why i woudl ever want motion blur. That seems to only ruin slowed down footage?

If trolling is asking question about a video you posted with a follow up comment about "unnatural looks" then sure.

What i want to know is why would an ND filter that is so stopped down that it allows me to shoot 1080@60 at 1/120 would benefit me if im shooing 1080@60 with the mind set of slow ing the footage (or parts of it) to 30p, where i coudl see more benefit from shooting at something 1/240 or higher so that the slowed footage its just a blur of action on the screen.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop