Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Balancing the Laowa 9mm on the X7 camera

Reaction score
How are you Laowa 9mm owners balancing your X7 gimbal? I ended up using soldering wire taped on the lens shade. Pretty clunky and extra heavy.

Thanks!

I bought this tungsten weight set (Amazon.com: Aneco 3.625 Ounce Tungsten Weights Multiple Sizes Tungsten Cylinders Weights Wooden Racing Weights to Increase The Speed of Wooden Racing Car: Toys & Games) for an X5S, not X7, but I believe they'd work with the bigger gimbal much the same way. Tungsten is nice because it's so dense, so you get more effect in a smaller package vs lead. I use 3M Dual Lock (3M SJ3560/CLR1333 Scotch SJ3560 Dual Lock 250 Reclosable Fastener: 1" x 10 ft, Clear: Adhesive Hook And Loop Strips: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific) to keep weights on, as well as my Firehouse lights. The tungsten weights can be used on their own, or, depending on the lens/hood/filter, I've been using Mexican pesos leftover from a job, as the 2, 5, and 10 peso coins give a good range of weights in a lower profile, with a greater surface area. The tungsten weights are nice, but the heaviest ones are long, meaning they're more likely to strike the arm, and the Dual Lock isn't confidence-inducing with that surface area-to-weight-and-leverage. What's nice about this arrangement, too, is the ability to offset the back weight to balance the Roll axis, as well as placing weights on the arm. The Dual Lock can be tough to separate, so I'd suggest leaving a small lip on the bigger coins to get a nail/key under.

If they ever make a low profile tunsten weight, that would obviously be an improvement, otherwise, this setup is really solid and adaptable.

20200717_164137.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unitedconveyormktg