Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Batteries not working after storage

Reaction score
Dji Inspire batteries 3 X 148's and 1x 147 not been used for 5 months due to moving house and bad weather, they were all stored at roughly half voltage (3 green l.e.d. lit)
The three 148's are now completely dead, red light will not even turn on, the 147's red light comes on briefly with one solid green l.e.d. and one flashing green l.e.d. then goes out, but none of the batteries will charge.
I read that the batteries enter hibernation mode when stored for a longtime and that they will show a solid red light and that they have to be left on for five minutes, after which they will switch off and can then be charged. Has anybody any suggestions or had similar experience with dead batteries after prolonged storage.

Dji Inspire batteries 3 X 148's and 1x 147 not been used for 5 months due to moving house and bad weather, they were all stored at roughly half voltage (3 green l.e.d. lit)
The three 148's are now completely dead, red light will not even turn on, the 147's red light comes on briefly with one solid green l.e.d. and one flashing green l.e.d. then goes out, but none of the batteries will charge.
I read that the batteries enter hibernation mode when stored for a longtime and that they will show a solid red light and that they have to be left on for five minutes, after which they will switch off and can then be charged. Has anybody any suggestions or had similar experience with dead batteries after prolonged storage.
Unfortunately, you may be victim to the firmware bug that caused the batteries to continue to discharge after left unattended for more than 90 days.
The most recent firmware (v1.8) addressed this but because your cells have been dragged down to below 1v per cell they are more than likely history.
This one I'm afraid you will have to take up with DJI since it was a known issue with their firmware and it has destroyed your batteries.
They will wriggle and cite out of warranty but you will need to threaten legal action and hopefully they will cave and you will get new batteries.

Good luck.

Thanks Editor, I am kicking myself for not periodically checking them whilst they were not in use. I'll contact Dji but I don't hold out much hope, I remember on utube seeing a guy who had a similar problem with a lippo for a battery drill and he got it to recharge again by continually unplugging and re plugging the charger whilst connected to the battery, I had the same problem with a dewalt drill and it did fix it, don't know how, but no success with the Dji batts.

There.is a chance if you are wanting to try there is possibly a way to unbrick the batteries. I'm not sure how successful it may be for you or if you are wanting to try it but here's the info for you to decide.
How to revive a bricked DJI battery (NEW)
That will work if (and only if) the cells have not been dragged down to the point of oblivion (under around 0.9v per cell).
There was a member on here (can't remember his name at the moment) who coaxed the cells back up but the problem was/is as soon as the voltage is removed the cells drop again and do not hold any sort of charge.
Agreed it's worth a shot if your packs are bricks anyway, but I am not sure I would trust a pack whose cells had been down to those kind of levels.

Thanks Guys, I've got a multi meter will get some aligator leads and give the reviving a bricked battery a go, if I can get the batts to recharge then I will monitor them afterwards before flying.

This is completely anecdotal, and maybe I just got lucky, but I had a similar situation (batteries stored from November until April, and apparently dead when attached to the charger). I put each one in the Inspire and attempted to power it up. This resulted in some brief LED activity on the batteries/aircraft. Then, when I put each battery back on the charger it charged as expected. I was thinking that I "woke up" the batteries by putting them in the aircraft, but, as I said, it might have been dumb luck.

Reactions: Canuck32
Here's an update guys, I followed the instructions on how to revive a bricked Dji inspire battery, after disconnecting the wiring loom on the three 148 batteries there was approx 1.6 volts remaining in each battery, as instructed, I charged via the positive/ negative soldered connections to just above 20 volts. After reconnecting the loom they then took a full charge, the cells in all three batteries were a bit uneven but over two discharges and charges they pretty well evened up, I discharged by hovering close to the ground and achieved over twenty minutes flight time. However the 147 battery despite having approx 2.6 volts remaining hasn't been successful, it is showing a damaged cell warning and all the cells are very uneven. I emailed Dji complaining about the issue prior to attacking the bricks, they replied telling me not to be so quick to criticise them, because they had extended the warranty to twelve months, and that they would send me a U.P.S order to return them to them. Unfortunately they will be able to tell I have been messing with them now. Thanks again guys for the information, I thought this reply might be of help to anyone else with this battery problem.

Cjvw, did you talk to a specific person in DJI support? I have the same problem with a few of my Inspire 1 batteries and they are advising me that my batteries are beyond the warranty period (since they are about 8 months old). Here's what they had to say:

Thank you for your response. I do apologize for the inconvenience, however, the information provided indicates that the batteries are outside of its warranty period. To review the warranty period for all parts related to our products, please review the After-Sales Service Policy, located at the following link:
DJI - After-sales Service Policies

Instead of repairing it, we do suggest that you buy a new one because it might cost too much.

And, when I questioned them on the 12 month warranty you noted here, they said:
With regards to your concern about the warranty, kindly go to our website DJI. com then go to the support and then after-sales service policy, you will see there the warranty periods of each item. Thank you

Cjvw, did you talk to a specific person in DJI support? I have the same problem with a few of my Inspire 1 batteries and they are advising me that my batteries are beyond the warranty period (since they are about 8 months old). Here's what they had to say:

And, when I questioned them on the 12 month warranty you noted here, they said:

I just had to log in, then chime in -
DJI has a history of screwing guys over on bad batteries being killed by firmware or self discharging issues.
My suggestion is fantastically simple, please follow these steps closely.

1) - Buy new batteries on Amazon.

2) - When they arrive, put your dead batteries into the boxes and SEND THEM BACK for a refund!

I can assure you that Amazon knows the address of the billion dollar dji company and will send the defects back to them.
DJI will NOT tell Amazon to pound salt, I promise you, (and that's not our problem anyways) :)

To reiterate.
Do NOT waste time getting screwed over by dji with these non-stop battery issues.
If you have a problem with your inspire packs, do NOT call DJI.
Simply order news ones, and 3 days later when they arrive, send the bad packs back for a refund.

msinger, I have copied and pasted the part of the reply from Dji support, that refers to the warranty period on the Inspire 1.

Dear Christopher,

Thank you for contacting the DJI Support.

You should not be so quick to judge and dismiss sir. I can tell you the warranty on batteries has been lengthened to a full year which means your batteries are still in warranty.

The rest of the email refers to the process involved in returning the items to Dji,
unfortunately for me I have already attempted to resuscitate the batteries due to believing them to be out of warranty, and they will probably be able to tell that I have.
So I will have voided the extended warranty anyway.
I am going to send them back and if they tell me the repairs are chargeable I will tell them not to bother and just bin them.

It seems it's only extended depending on who replies in support. DJI support is telling me the warranty is still only 6 months.

Here are the latest updates from DJI support:
With regards to your concern about the firmware, the firmware update has nothing to do with the damaged battery.

And for our battery, the warranty of our battery products is only 6 months.

Feel free to reach us if you still have any other concerns or inquiries. Thank you

Best Regards,
DJI Customer Support

We do apologize for the confusion, however, with regards to your concern about the warranty, the warranty of our batteries is only 6 months.
Please do check on our website in After-sales service policies section.
It was stated there that the warranty of our batteries is 6 months.

We haven't extended our battery warranty to 12 months.

Best Regards,
DJI Customer Support

They are confirming the firmware issue The Editor noted above does not exist and that there is no extended warranty.

Here are the latest updates from DJI support:

They are confirming the firmware issue The Editor noted above does not exist and that there is no extended warranty.
If that were the case and DJI were telling you the truth why then did they specifically address the issue in the their firmware release.
It most definitely does exist and has been the cause of many destroyed batteries.
What would I gain from saying there is a firmware bug if there wasn't?
Secondly, not everybody resides in the US of A and Europe enjoys a much better level of consumer protection than the States and this includes rechargeable batteries.

The Editor, I'm not doubting you at all. I'm simply saying they are denying two well known facts from this thread.

The Editor, I'm not doubting you at all. I'm simply saying they are denying two well known facts from this thread.
Ahhhh gotcha. I am not surprised they are denying the bug (and strangely reference to the fix about batteries being left in storage longer than 90 days has now mysterously disappeared from the release notes!!!). If that isn't an admission of guilt I dont know what is. :p
They will have been told to toe the corporate line and deny all liability I'm sure to limit the number of batteries they have to swap out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GRQLarae44