Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Battery first charge and first fly

Reaction score
I got a new TB48 and charged it fully a week ago but could not fly then. So now when I was going to fly for the first time with this new battery the charge was dropped to 98 %. Now the app is warning not to fly for the first time as the battery is not fully charged. Well, I put it in the charger but it does not start charging as it is nearly full... So any suggestions...?

I got a new TB48 and charged it fully a week ago but could not fly then. So now when I was going to fly for the first time with this new battery the charge was dropped to 98 %. Now the app is warning not to fly for the first time as the battery is not fully charged. Well, I put it in the charger but it does not start charging as it is nearly full... So any suggestions...?
Turn the battery on first then connect it to the charger and you will be able to charge batteries that are already 95% or more charged.

Reactions: SqdBoss
Turn the battery on first then connect it to the charger and you will be able to charge batteries that are already 95% or more charged.

I tried that but no luck. When turning the battery on, all four green lights are a few second on, but the flashing charge lights do not appear even I connected the charger immediately or even if I push the button when the charger cable is already on.

What?....you can't turn the battery physically on...is that what you are saying?

Right turn the battery on exactly the same as you would fire up the Inspire if it was installed in the aircraft - short press followed by a two second press. All lights should STAY on as though it was in the Inspire.
Next connect your charger to the wall socket and turn it on BEFORE connecting it to the battery.
Last, plug the charging lead into the battery. After a few seconds it should start to charge.

What?....you can't turn the battery physically on...is that what you are saying?

Right turn the battery on exactly the same as you would fire up the Inspire if it was installed in the aircraft - short press followed by a two second press. All lights should STAY on as though it was in the Inspire.
Next connect your charger to the wall socket and turn it on BEFORE connecting it to the battery.
Last, plug the charging lead into the battery. After a few seconds it should start to charge.

YEEES, stupid me! Of course, I just checked the battery and did not really turn it on while it was on my desk. Now I did turn it on the correct way and it is charging now! Thanks for your advice and sorry!

Reactions: The Editor
YEEES, stupid me! Of course, I just checked the battery and did not really turn it on while it was on my desk. Now I did turn it on the correct way and it is charging now! Thanks for your advice and sorry!
Glad it worked... I thought I was going mad there for a minute :p

Yes - It's a technique to get a battery to enter into a charge state if the initial state of charge is already at 95% or greater (which yours was).
Let it top off and charge fully, then fly the pack shortly after wards so that the Inspire can "see" it is at 100%

Yes - It's a technique to get a battery to enter into a charge state if the initial state of charge is already at 95% or greater (which yours was).
Let it top off and charge fully, then fly the pack shortly after wards so that the Inspire can "see" it is at 100%
Yes thanks, I will fly it tomorrow!

Awesome advice.
There are times that I go 3 or 4 days without flying (oh the pain). Before I go out I try to plug the charger in to "top up" the last 2-5%.
When I plug it in, no lights would come on leaving me to believe it was fully charged. Get out to the field and it is 95-98%.
If I use this technique, I assume this will "guarantee" that it is max charged?

Reactions: Lesmess
Boom!
I wonder how many don't know this and could really benefit from it...
Seems to be lots of discussion on this forum in general about batteries dropping and not fully charging and crashes and and and...
Thanks again, best "trick" I've learned all day!

Boom!
I wonder how many don't know this and could really benefit from it...
Seems to be lots of discussion on this forum in general about batteries dropping and not fully charging and crashes and and and...
Thanks again, best "trick" I've learned all day!

It is actually in the manual but nearly everyone I have spoken to has missed it!
Page 21, item 2 under 'Charging Intelligent Flight Battery' :)

Another thing I have noticed that if you try to recharge immediately after discharge when the battery is warm from discharge it will not charge. Let it cool down and it charges just fine
I love the web site

Another thing I have noticed that if you try to recharge immediately after discharge when the battery is warm from discharge it will not charge. Let it cool down and it charges just fine
I love the web site
Never ever, EVER charge a warm/hot pack. That is one of the quickest ways to destroy it!
ALWAYS let a pack cool to ambient temp (usually between half an hour and an hour) before recharging it.

Reactions: lrwskyfilms
Some very good advice on this thread, it's amazing how many pilots (me included) don't spend enough time on learning about batteries, their limitations, the correct procedures for charging/discharging, carrying in transit, the effects of temperature etc etc

Especially as it's the battery that keeps you in the air.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlberthaLo