Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Battery Update

Reaction score
Have updated the craft's firmware but not sure this updates the batteries. I have 3 sets and didn't get a good answer from DJI

As I understand it, its not the bateries that are the problem but rather the algorithm for calculating the percentage remaining (Fuel Guage). As long as you make sure that your batteries are freshly charges at 4.25 volts or better at take off and land at 3.7V you should have no problems at all. I think that the battery issue was that a few people were seeing higher % battery than the actually had and consequently ran out of juice prematurely. So I dont think that the batteries get updated with this firmware. I certainly did not get any update message when I switched between my sets after updating the I2 firmware. Hope that helps !

Reactions: Phil DeVore
As I understand it, its not the bateries that are the problem but rather the algorithm for calculating the percentage remaining (Fuel Guage). As long as you make sure that your batteries are freshly charges at 4.25 volts or better at take off and land at 3.7V you should have no problems at all. I think that the battery issue was that a few people were seeing higher % battery than the actually had and consequently ran out of juice prematurely. So I dont think that the batteries get updated with this firmware. I certainly did not get any update message when I switched between my sets after updating the I2 firmware. Hope that helps !

The battery firmware is included with the .0300 release of firmware. After the update your battery firmware level should be at 1.0.0.71 . If you are not prompted to update when you insert additional batteries, exit DJI Go 4 and restart the app for each additional set ( or exit the flight/camera screen back to the Drone Selection/Go Fly Screen), then restart the drone - Go 4 will then check the firmware version of aircraft/RC/Batteries and prompt you if anything needs an update.

Has anyone noticed the after the FW upgrade to .0300 that the battery % showing on the RC is off as much as 5%? The battery voltage from both batteries can be bang on but the % display is not.
Thanks

Reactions: Phil DeVore
I updated to .0300 yesterday and flew a test flight without problems. I changed to a freshly charge set of batteries and was prompted with a “bad cell” warning. I checked all my batteries before upgrading and had no issues. Should have time today to diagnose. I know these batts should be good. If I find cause/solution I will repost.

I updated all my ‘old’ batteries with the new firmware and no problems so far...BUT...

I received two new TB50s with a spare aircraft, updated everything to new firmware (apparently successfully) using the DJI GO4 App and one new TB50 shows ‘broken cell’ error.

Sequence of events:
New TB50 battery 0 charge cycles, received (along with a second new TB50 battery) with new aircraft (Inspire 2, s/n xxxxxxx) on 27 Nov 2018.
1. Battery was initially charged with DJI battery charger/hub.
2. Batteries were installed in aircraft, all firmware in aircraft and batteries immediately updated to latest versions using the latest version of DJI GO 4 App from iPad.
3. App displayed Battery Error (Battery cell broken); one cell displayed higher voltage than all others(approximately 200mV)...app advised to discharge batteries to 5%.
4. Aircraft was powered on again without propellers and left running; error disappeared when batteries dropped below about 54%; at that time propellers were installed and aircraft run at ground idle to discharge both batteries to 5%.
5. Battery in question then charged again using DJI charger/hub...upon completion of charge noticed #3 battery LED blinking 2 times/sec (over-charge indication).
6. Reinstalled battery in aircraft; same error (battery cell broken, one cell voltage still higher than all others).
7. Contacted DJI support with this information, requested RMA and ship label to return to DJI and replace battery.
Note: saw anecdotal evidence on forums that on Battery Cell Broken error after new firmware applied it might take up to 72 hrs to correct the error...will wait 72 hrs and re-test prior to sending in to DJI if necessary.

BTW...manufacture date on both TB50s that came with this aircraft is Nov 2017.

Interesting...on discussing this ‘broken cell’ error w/Support yesterday they indicated another update will be pushed out in December to address this...hmmmm, thought the latest ‘fix’ took care of this.

Last edited:
Update....after the procedure I show in my previous post - and letting the battery sit idle for 3 days - I discharged the battery with my Phantom Angel conditioner and recharged it. I did not see any battery LED error indication as I had before...

It no longer shows ‘battery cell broken’ on the questionable TB50 and cells are much closer on voltage.

Will flight test this coming week, wx and time permitting....

Reactions: slim.slamma
Update....after the procedure I show in my previous post - and letting the battery sit idle for 3 days - I discharged the battery with my Phantom Angel conditioner and recharged it. I did not see any battery LED error indication as I had before...

It no longer shows ‘battery cell broken’ on the questionable TB50 and cells are much closer on voltage.

Will flight test this coming week, wx and time permitting....
Yes, this battery "seasoning" or "marinating" procedure is recommended by DJI.

Reactions: slim.slamma

I never get 4.25 volts on my batteries. Maybe 4.20 volts on the best set of them.

Reactions: MrTVR

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlesssouth