Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

"Best" External Hard Drive.....

Reaction score
Video editing gurus/computer geeks,

Got my new iMac all hooked up.

Planning on keeping vids/photos on external hardrive.

Who's using what and why?Size? Value for money? etc etc

Thanks in advance

Video editing gurus/computer geeks,

Got my new iMac all hooked up.

Planning on keeping vids/photos on external hardrive.

Who's using what and why?Size? Value for money? etc etc

Thanks in advance

Depends on what you want . If you are asking for the best external drive for video editing, it is THIS.

I use a 3TB 3.0 USB and it can handle 4K streaming to PP CS6 no problem.

Granted they are not cheap but if time is money for you then buy once, cry once.

You do not need an expensive hard drive to play a single stream of HD or even 4k video. Inspire 1 video is 60mbps which equates to about 7Mb/s actual transfer speed. Most single drive spinning enclosures will easily hit 100Mb/s + through USB 3 - that would theoretically let you play 13 streams of Inspire 1 video at the same time (though your computer CPU won't like it very much!).

If your footage is important I would get a RAID1 enclosure that has two mirrored drives. That way if one fails (it will eventually) you have a backup. OWC has some nice small RAID enclosures for decent prices. Make sure to buy 7200rpm 3.5" drives in capacities under 4TB. The larger 5TB + drives are not as reliable yet. HGST desk stars are good, and Western digital reds and Toshibas get the job done for cheap.

You could also go the route of a single USB 3.0 drive that backs up using Time Machine. Cheaper.

This is a good deal: http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/usb/raid_1/Gmax

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a WD NAS drive 2tb at home, and a buffalo 2tb with shock protection for the laptop.

I dont consider either of them to be a good solution though......

I would get two raid 1 systems, and back one up from the other as and when I needed to. Run one of them normally on a decent surge protected system, and have the other powered off and unplugged.
----------------
For example, for something that I cannot replace and that I care about (ie family photos) I have copies on several HDD at several locations. I back those copies up everynow and then manually.

meaning that if I have a fire at my main location, I have a backup that is normally only 6 months out of date at another physical location.

They are stored in Pelican cases.

Call me paranoid, but I dont want to lose over 15 years of digital photos.

Been using several Passport Ultra 2TB External USB 3.0 Portable Hard Drives.. Can't go wrong as they are tuckaways and save on SPACE..

Reactions: Nate H
SSD all the way. No moving parts, less prone to failure, optical drives can't touch the read write speeds

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GRQLarae44