Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Best UAV for use while Skiing using follow me or tracking

Reaction score
Okay guys heres the what's going on. I'm looking to rent a drone off Fat Lama, people are renting out a variety of drones. Theres the Mavric Pro, the phantom 4, the inspire 1 v2 and a few of the parrot drones. I've used the phantom 4 before, its epic. But i've never used it skiing. Are any of these drones able to follow you, so when I'm skiing down the slopes I want to able to ski down and have the drone film me from behind as its chasing me down the mountain. Can any of them do this? Any thoughts would be awesome. Only using it for a week in Feb hence i'm not buying. Any recommendations would be awesome.

Aslo, what are the regulations when skiing. I was told that some ski resorts don't let you take drones up the mountain. What about if its quite remote? Off-piste?

Cheers, Ben.

Okay guys heres the what's going on. I'm looking to rent a drone off Fat Lama, people are renting out a variety of drones. Theres the Mavric Pro, the phantom 4, the inspire 1 v2 and a few of the parrot drones. I've used the phantom 4 before, its epic. But i've never used it skiing. Are any of these drones able to follow you, so when I'm skiing down the slopes I want to able to ski down and have the drone film me from behind as its chasing me down the mountain. Can any of them do this? Any thoughts would be awesome. Only using it for a week in Feb hence i'm not buying. Any recommendations would be awesome.

Aslo, what are the regulations when skiing. I was told that some ski resorts don't let you take drones up the mountain. What about if its quite remote? Off-piste?

Cheers, Ben.
And where exactly are you intending to do this since UAV's are banned on many ski slopes (for good reason)

Reactions: Johnsimatos
And where exactly are you intending to do this since UAV's are banned on many ski slopes (for good reason)

Pretty much this. In Australia (Thredbo/Perisher) they only allow commercial shoots onto the slopes, and there is only one or two spots you can fly from. You also need to apply for permission from three separate parties. The worst being the national park, which unless you're slipping them
Money too is almost impossible to get from what I've heard [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He specifically mentioned off-piste skiing (Backcountry). This means there's no one regulating the use of drones. So, let's say it's perfectly legal to use the drone where he intends to use it. Which drone would be best? I'd say mavic from a portability standpoint, plus it has a lot of good obstacle avoidance features.

He specifically mentioned off-piste skiing (Backcountry). This means there's no one regulating the use of drones. So, let's say it's perfectly legal to use the drone where he intends to use it. Which drone would be best? I'd say mavic from a portability standpoint, plus it has a lot of good obstacle avoidance features.

I would be talking to the manager of the national park, assuming it is one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey guys, thanks so much for the feedback. As you guys said, I keep on hearing that the drone use in the mountains is very tricky. Well the thing is, we are going to a resort but thats not where we want to film. When theres a huge snowfall, we go remotely to a really 'lesser-known' (is that a word?) resort where like you say - not sure what the regulation is going to be like? But yes, you were talking about the mavic, and the avoidance features - do the others not have such features?

Cheers again!

Hey guys, thanks so much for the feedback. As you guys said, I keep on hearing that the drone use in the mountains is very tricky. Well the thing is, we are going to a resort but thats not where we want to film. When theres a huge snowfall, we go remotely to a really 'lesser-known' (is that a word?) resort where like you say - not sure what the regulation is going to be like? But yes, you were talking about the mavic, and the avoidance features - do the others not have such features?

Cheers again!
If you tell us what country we can advise on the countries UAV laws.
Don't rely on any obstacle avoidance - Its very flakey, unreliable and will be fooled by just the sun hitting the lens! Its a work in progress!

P.S - Have changed your thread title to something a bit more descriptive than 'Drone in Sky Season' which will result in better hits for people using the search facility.

Yeah thanks for the title change...can't even spell ski properly. :( We're going to switzerland in Feb

Yeah thanks for the title change...can't even spell ski properly. :( We're going to switzerland in Feb
OK, UAV laws in Switzerland are pretty straightforward (some Swiss members may chime in) but some new regs (that are law) that were introduced in September last year is that you cannot use any kind of automated UAV/flight.
That means the UAV must be piloted at all times and not rely on automated things like active track etc.
If you want to fly over people/crowds you will need a permit (wether commercial flight or hobby) and you need to apply months in advance for that!

Basically.....
  • The pilot of the aircraft must be kept in direct visual contact at all times (and you can’t use binoculars to technically still see your aircraft).
  • The aircraft is not allowed to fly over large crowds of people, or within 100 meters of a large crowd of people.
  • The total mass of the aircraft (cameras, battery packs, special equipment included) cannot be more that 30 kilograms).
  • A couple of obligatory rules:
    • The drone must be fully piloted, no automated drones.
    • Drones cannot be flown within 5 kilometers of any kind of airport.
Hope that helps.

Reactions: JGF21
non of the DJI drones will follow you DOWN the hill (i believe).
I have used the mavic, inspire 1 and P3 to follow me on dirt bike trips out in utah deserts. The inspire and and P3 wouldn't ascend as I climbed mountains on the bike, but the mavic will.

your best bet is the lily! haha.
just kidding but really i think a pilot plus camera operator always yield the best results.

non of the DJI drones will follow you DOWN the hill (i believe).
I have used the mavic, inspire 1 and P3 to follow me on dirt bike trips out in utah deserts. The inspire and and P3 wouldn't ascend as I climbed mountains on the bike, but the mavic will.

your best bet is the lily! haha.
just kidding but really i think a pilot plus camera operator always yield the best results.
With Autopilot, if you use a iPhone or cellular iPad it (any of the later DJI drones) follows you down and uphill, at least that's what they always claimed. I never tried myself, except while I was in the beta test group I once tried follow me over the lake. The rules about automated flight are exactly the same here as in Switzerland. Pilot needs to control all times, even auto landing or take off are not allowed. RTH only in emergencies.

With Autopilot, if you use a iPhone or cellular iPad it (any of the later DJI drones) follows you down and uphill, at least that's what they always claimed. I never tried myself, except while I was in the beta test group I once tried follow me over the lake. The rules about automated flight are exactly the same here as in Switzerland. Pilot needs to control all times, even auto landing or take off are not allowed. RTH only in emergencies.

Interesting about autopilot. I'll try it and report back

you guys have been super super helpful. gave the mavic a test run and think thats the one i'm going to go for! Cheers lads, all super helpful!

Ever heard of the AirDog, I only recently came across it. My only concern would be the quality? But the video is pretty cool.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop