Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Beware, Dji can now stop you from taking off.

Reaction score
UTC+7,August 21st, 2017, 05:40 pm.
I just read from Dji Spark forum. They inform their customer that they are releasing new MANDATORY firmware update today. All Sparks that are not updated to this new firmware by September 1st will not be able to take off.

What about Inspire 2? There can be a chance that your aircraft will not take off if you do not do the update when mandatory updating firmware is released. But how and since when Dji put control codes into fw and app?

Here is the Link

[URL="http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=109740&pid=921238&page=1&extra=&mobile=2#pid921238"]DJI Spark Firmware Update Enhances Flight Safetyhttp://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=109740&pid=921238&page=1&extra=&mobile=2#pid921238[/URL]

Sadly, the further they go down the route of enforced updates to things, all they'll do is encourage the hackers to sidestep things.

I'm not aware of any similar forced updates around for the I2 or P4, but I've backups of previous versions of firmware and DJI Go apps to revert to to keep me flying should they be needed. (The brouhaha around the latest firmware versions for the I2 and P4 made that a necessity before doing any of the recent updates!)

FWIW, the latest version of the I2 firmware seems to be working reasonably well, as did the previous .0330 version. The previous version of the P4 firmware has worked pretty well too, so I'm not in a great hurry to update the aircraft any longer... they work, so no pressing reasons to "fix" 'em!

UTC+7,August 21st, 2017, 05:40 pm.
I just read from Dji Spark forum. They inform their customer that they are releasing new MANDATORY firmware update today. All Sparks that are not updated to this new firmware by September 1st will not be able to take off.

What about Inspire 2? There can be a chance that your aircraft will not take off if you do not do the update when mandatory updating firmware is released. But how and since when Dji put control codes into fw and app?

Here is the Link

DJI Spark Firmware Update Enhances Flight SafetyDJI Spark Firmware Update Enhances Flight Safety
I have moved this to the News section.

I received pretty much the same Sept. 1 message while flying my Mavic today. Update or your craft will not fly on Sept 1.

I'm not sure if this is even legal maybe a class action lawsuit on the way since people in the USA like to sue nowadays.Even Apple ask owners permission before updating products. The way I see it I paid for a working drone and it's my choice to update or not DJI no longer owns my drone yet the choose to ground it?

Imagine Ford sent you a message to come in and firmware update your truck or they will kill the engine in one week. Legal???? I'm no lawyer but it doesn't seem right to me in my opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: White Airwolf
I received pretty much the same Sept. 1 message while flying my Mavic today. Update or your craft will not fly on Sept 1.

I'm not sure if this is even legal maybe a class action lawsuit on the way since people in the USA like to sue nowadays.Even Apple ask owners permission before updating products. The way I see it I paid for a working drone and it's my choice to update or not DJI no longer owns my drone yet the choose to ground it?

Imagine Ford sent you a message to come in and firmware update your truck or they will kill the engine in one week. Legal???? I'm no lawyer but it doesn't seem right to me in my opinion.

Calm down, I read this is only for the Mavic.

Calm down, I read this is only for the Mavic.

Great it's only Mavic owners so its OK DJI forces updates tor grounds Mavic owners then.

Honestly I very calm, just pointing out the fact I've never seen a company force a update like this ever on a legal owner of anything. Just saying feel free to show me examples in the USA:

I do believe we need software installed in these drones to insure legal operation to a degree. Without any such software I'm afraid our hobby (job for some) could really get a black eye from illegal use putting everyone's use at risk.

That said I think DJI has went about this the wrong way and there has to be a better customer service solution.

If you honestly don't believe this is any concern for non Mavic owners you should be aware you could very well be affected next go around. What happens if DJI thinks there's to many people battery and Controller Mod-ing their inspires flying beyond line of sight so forces a update that your Inspire can only fly 500 ft away period? They can do it tomorrrow if they choose it's only one software update away.

If this troubles you so then don't buy DJI, problem solved. I am not losing any sleep over what may happen tomorrow...or never.

I spent 10K in DJI products this month. Its Alittle late for me not to worry about it :) Just saying.

And yes I do plan to look for another company to do business with in the future. The above actions really concern me long term as I've invested thousands of dollars based on the specs/capabilities published when I purchased the equipment. The idea they can change anything they want, at anytime without any owner permission isn't for me.

I hope I'm wrong and maybe it doesn't turn out to be the way it first looks. Time will tell I guess

Last edited:
Reactions: Jim Weist and MGS
I spent 10K in DJI products this month. Its Alittle late for me not to worry about it :) Just saying.

And yes I do plan to look for another company to do business with in the future. The above actions really concern me long term as I've invested thousands of dollars based on the specs/capabilities published when I purchased the equipment. The idea they can change anything they want, at anytime without any owner permission isn't for me.

I hope I'm wrong and maybe it doesn't turn out to be the way it first looks. Time will tell I guess
I believe All the makers are being forced to do it in order to save face!

Is it anybody how knows what the FW-update will do/fix..?

Any critical fix or just some new no flyzones or a fix to prevent hacking..?

Edit: Checked the link..

"The new firmware update enhances Spark’s battery management system to optimize power supply during flight . In addition, the new firmware has added support to fully integrate Spark with the DJI Goggles, optimized the PalmLaunch function for better stability after takeoff, improved the accuracy of controls under the QuickShot Dronie mode and enhanced the compatibility of the remote controller when syncing up with new firmware updates."

Very critical and a must to ground all who not update.........!

Can I add a bit of sanity here. The manditory update is for safety reasons on the Spark. If you have one you have heard reports of Sparks just powering down and falling from the sky. This update addresses this and issue with the automated selfie routines. DJI did this one time before with the I1 when it had compass issues. It does not effect other craft.

Can I add a bit of sanity here. The manditory update is for safety reasons on the Spark. If you have one you have heard reports of Sparks just powering down and falling from the sky. This update addresses this and issue with the automated selfie routines. DJI did this one time before with the I1 when it had compass issues. It does not effect other craft.

So "The new firmware update enhances Spark’s battery management system to optimize power supply during flight." is a nice way to say, that the new firmware will prevent your drone from falling from the sky... Thats critical.

If this troubles you so then don't buy DJI, problem solved. I am not losing any sleep over what may happen tomorrow...or never.

Oh - that's ok we've already decided to walk away from DJI as a strategic provider. Too many issues with both flight restrictions and data privacy. In the last two months we've dropped $50k on equipment and less than 20% was on DJI. It's not just the army that wants DJI off their facilities it's now also utilities and other large insfrastructure providers. DJI blew it - they tried to apply Chinese totalitarian requirements across the board. Stupid.

Reactions: MGS
Sadly, the further they go down the route of enforced updates to things, all they'll do is encourage the hackers to sidestep things.

I'm not aware of any similar forced updates around for the I2 or P4, but I've backups of previous versions of firmware and DJI Go apps to revert to to keep me flying should they be needed. (The brouhaha around the latest firmware versions for the I2 and P4 made that a necessity before doing any of the recent updates!)

FWIW, the latest version of the I2 firmware seems to be working reasonably well, as did the previous .0330 version. The previous version of the P4 firmware has worked pretty well too, so I'm not in a great hurry to update the aircraft any longer... they work, so no pressing reasons to "fix" 'em!
how how do you backup the go apps? I'm using an Inspire 1 on the go app from February. Is there any way to get ahold of the previous version

Oh - that's ok we've already decided to walk away from DJI as a strategic provider. Too many issues with both flight restrictions and data privacy. In the last two months we've dropped $50k on equipment and less than 20% was on DJI. It's not just the army that wants DJI off their facilities it's now also utilities and other large insfrastructure providers. DJI blew it - they tried to apply Chinese totalitarian requirements across the board. Stupid.

For the average "hobby" type user the forced updates may/may not be a huge deal breaker right now. I fully understand that point and most people with one drone can afford to walk away from it if something happens they don't like. That is a valid point for these people and yes I wouldn't worry so much if I fit into that group of users. The last spark update appears to be very much needed update with the battery issue for the spark.

For Commerical and Agriculture-(me) type users investing thousands into drone equipment which we depend on daily for work the idea DJI can and will (proven now) force a update at anything time they choose that's alittle scary for many reasons.

Personally, I don't like to firmware update first as I can't afford drone issues that could side-line my drone for days or weeks. I sit back and watch, when it's a proven upgrade and I down load it.

I also didn't get where I am in life without looking towards the future and planning for it. I researched my drone equipment, charted capabilities,specs, etc etc before investing thousands of dollars based on these specs.

The idea at any given time DJI can change these specs or install restrictions At-will doesn't settle well with me also. I understand so called "safety" upgrades, but then again "safety" is a pretty broad statement. I could say it's safer to only fly 50ft high vs 400ft high tomorrow and there would be some truth to that. Maybe it's safer to fly 20MPH vs 60 MPH.

In the end I don't fault DJI any for updates. I think it's great they do such a good/fast job of fixing issues and providing these updates. Other drone companies seem to have issues getting needed firmware updates to market in a reasonable period of time.

Legal and real safety issues have to be addressed we all understand that one. I personally think DJI just needs to be a little less heavy handed in the way they push out firmware upgrades. I think this would ease people more in the future.

Reactions: MGS and pulsar747n
When you're on the line with a production that costs $400k a day, you DO worry about these things... a lot. THEY don't care if it's DJI's fault. All they know is that they hired YOU and YOU can't get the shot. Period. This is bad... unfortunately in the ProRes/RAW/perfect gimbal space there is no alternative for less that $80,000. We may have to go there...

Reactions: William Gaddy
For the average "hobby" type user the forced updates may/may not be a huge deal breaker right now. I fully understand that point and most people with one drone can afford to walk away from it if something happens they don't like. That is a valid point for these people and yes I wouldn't worry so much if I fit into that group of users. The last spark update appears to be very much needed update with the battery issue for the spark.

For Commerical and Agriculture-(me) type users investing thousands into drone equipment which we depend on daily for work the idea DJI can and will (proven now) force a update at anything time they choose that's alittle scary for many reasons.

Personally, I don't like to firmware update first as I can't afford drone issues that could side-line my drone for days or weeks. I sit back and watch, when it's a proven upgrade and I down load it.

I also didn't get where I am in life without looking towards the future and planning for it. I researched my drone equipment, charted capabilities,specs, etc etc before investing thousands of dollars based on these specs.

The idea at any given time DJI can change these specs or install restrictions At-will doesn't settle well with me also. I understand so called "safety" upgrades, but then again "safety" is a pretty broad statement. I could say it's safer to only fly 50ft high vs 400ft high tomorrow and there would be some truth to that. Maybe it's safer to fly 20MPH vs 60 MPH.

In the end I don't fault DJI any for updates. I think it's great they do such a good/fast job of fixing issues and providing these updates. Other drone companies seem to have issues getting needed firmware updates to market in a reasonable period of time.

Legal and real safety issues have to be addressed we all understand that one. I personally think DJI just needs to be a little less heavy handed in the way they push out firmware upgrades. I think this would ease people more in the future.

So turn off auto updates on your tablet. Problem solved. That way you still retain control over when the update occurs.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jammartin