Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Big Brother will be watching - Big Time!! (USA)

Thanks RMartin. Good analysis. I have provided comment, BUT I did not address one important part of it: Fixed Wing. Their 400' reg is not going to work for anyone flying a fixed wing unit. There are many recreation pilots (aka RCers) who fly electric and gas fixed wing. And many without telemetry. I cannot imagine how they would be able to fly in such a small area. And of course there are the racing quads that typically do not get more than 10' off the ground. I am very suspicious of the FAA's intent. I included in my comments that maybe the solution is more LAANC areas and lower the AGL ceiling from 400' to maybe 250' for more separation from manned aircraft. Their rule prohibits manned flights below 500' anyway. My 2 bits.....
Tell me about it. I use 500 feet to turn a complete 360. That doesn't leave me much room to map with.
I think the FAA is jumping at a chance to get what they want without investing much into it. I think the telecoms (AT&T and T-Mobile) are going to use us to fund a portion of their 5G network. I think we get the stinky end of the deal. I would expect the FAA to extend LAANC coverage but until they find a way to get the FCTs in line, that isn't going to happen. I live in the Dallas-Fort Worth area. Only 30% of the airports here fall under LAANC. The rest are all still handled via COAs. And finally, if they really want to deconflict airspace then limit GA to 500 feet AGL and above including Class G airspace. That ceiling currently only affects controlled airspace. I've been buzzed twice by non-medical helos below 120 feet AGL despite being in Class D with a NOTAM filed just outside the pattern. UAS pilots aren't the only idiots in the skies......

Reactions: licensed pilot
I think the telecoms (AT&T and T-Mobile) are going to use us to fund a portion of their 5G network.

The FAA and the FCC are two entirely unrelated governing bodies. Nothing in aviation is going to fund any telcom

The FAA and the FCC are two entirely unrelated governing bodies. Nothing in aviation is going to fund any telcom

It doesn't have anything to do with FAA or FCC funding. It has everything to do with subscription services that will be offered (read that required) by AT&T and Verizon to use their service. You will contribute to their system. The only question is how much (charges will be as of the time of writing unregulated).

It doesn't have anything to do with FAA or FCC funding. It has everything to do with subscription services that will be offered (read that required) by AT&T and Verizon to use their service. You will contribute to their system. The only question is how much (charges will be as of the time of writing unregulated).

and how does that have anything to do with An inspire

and how does that have anything to do with An inspire

Everyone is going to be required to install software/hardware in the aircraft and base station/controller that communicates via the internet/RF to a service (as proposed currently) that you will pay for, provided that your aircraft is able accept that upgrade. Otherwise, you will be confined to a predesignated area that is FAA approved. As a government commercial operator, it doesn't really affect me. I already have ADS-B installed on my aircraft and as a government entity, I am probably going to be exempt. You, on the other hand, are going to definitely feel the bite. At least I can pass the added cost right back to our funding source.....you and me. For point of reference, the ADS-B upgrade was $2000.00 for the transponder not including installation. Not many hobbyist would be willing or able to afford that....

Everyone is going to be required to install software/hardware in the aircraft and base station/controller that communicates via the internet/RF to a service (as proposed currently) that you will pay for, provided that your aircraft is able accept that upgrade. Otherwise, you will be confined to a predesignated area that is FAA approved. As a government commercial operator, it doesn't really affect me. I already have ADS-B installed on my aircraft and as a government entity, I am probably going to be exempt. You, on the other hand, are going to definitely feel the bite. At least I can pass the added cost right back to our funding source.....you and me. For point of reference, the ADS-B upgrade was $2000.00 for the transponder not including installation. Not many hobbyist would be willing or able to afford that....

You don't need internet connection with ADS-B out. which is what drones will be required to have

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marve84