Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Big problem after charging remote/ requesting NFZ unlocking.

Reaction score
Had a gig this morning with the I1/X3. Day before yesterday I flew a bit, and took some pics and video.

I have not upgraded firmware in a few months because of reports of battery trouble, and have not had any issues at all with performance.

Last night I plugged the controller into the charger, and emailed dji a request to unlock the NFZ because the shoot was at a dog park adjacent to a class D airport. This morning I get up and check email, no response, no problem. Click on, or was diverted to the DJI GO app on my phone and get an odd prompt that something had to be updated or something. It was early before coffee so I clicked update or whatever it was.

Gather everything up, head to the dog park, start setting up, boot up the drone and rc, it shows I'm just out of red territory and have to go through the dji geo waiver bit, no problem. But then I notice I have NO CAMERA! No image. Turn everything off, then on. Still nothing. Launched and hovered for a little bit but still no camera, with the only warnings being the ubiquitous firmware upgrades. So I figure they've caught up with me and locked out the camera until firmware is upgraded, so I upgrade the controller. Still no camera. I upgrade the aircraft. Txt doc says success, but now I'm getting "gimbal status disconnected" and "weak transmission signal" and "IMU needs calibration."

I've switched usb wires, and used my android phone instead of my ipad and all the same problems are there except now I have an image with no gimbal control:

I start it up, the camera does its dance, then goes limp. The IMU cycles from "ready" to "needs calibration," and at the controller it says "strong interference, weak transmission signal," and the tail led continually flashes all the colors.

Help! Does anyone have a clue as to
what happened/ experienced this before?

Edit: The camera, after it slumps over, twitches, while you can hear the drone grunting as it does during a firmware update.

Last edited:
Had a gig this morning with the I1/X3. Day before yesterday I flew a bit, and took some pics and video.

I have not upgraded firmware in a few months because of reports of battery trouble, and have not had any issues at all with performance.

Last night I plugged the controller into the charger, and emailed dji a request to unlock the NFZ because the shoot was at a dog park adjacent to a class D airport. This morning I get up and check email, no response, no problem. Click on, or was diverted to the DJI GO app on my phone and get an odd prompt that something had to be updated or something. It was early before coffee so I clicked update or whatever it was.

Gather everything up, head to the dog park, start setting up, boot up the drone and rc, it shows I'm just out of red territory and have to go through the dji geo waiver bit, no problem. But then I notice I have NO CAMERA! No image. Turn everything off, then on. Still nothing. Launched and hovered for a little bit but still no camera, with the only warnings being the ubiquitous firmware upgrades. So I figure they've caught up with me and locked out the camera until firmware is upgraded, so I upgrade the controller. Still no camera. I upgrade the aircraft. Txt doc says success, but now I'm getting "gimbal status disconnected" and "weak transmission signal" and "IMU needs calibration."

I've switched usb wires, and used my android phone instead of my ipad and all the same problems are there except now I have an image with no gimbal control:

I start it up, the camera does its dance, then goes limp. The IMU cycles from "ready" to "needs calibration," and at the controller it says "strong interference, weak transmission signal," and the tail led continually flashes all the colors.

Help! Does anyone have a clue as to
what happened/ experienced this before?

Edit: The camera, after it slumps over, twitches, while you can hear the drone grunting as it does during a firmware update.
Oh man this is like a nightmare. I had a mandatory update on the android Go just before a job recently. Decided not to do it and use the iPad. Lucky I have both platforms.
One time, (around the 1.8 FW period) after a Go update, I had similar problems, well not exactly the same but oddness all around, and I had to cancel the flight. Only after completely deleting and installing Go things got back to normal. All the while I was thinking it was the Firmware from the I1 or the RC, but it wasn't at all.

Since then I refuse to do a Go update just before a flight, and after an update I first check everything in the simulator before a real flight.

Actually, it was the simulator that showed me the problem was in Go. It flew in the sim with the gear in travel mode and landed with gear fully up. Unfortunately some of us saw that happening during their first flight after an update. After 1.9.1.30 FW I haven't seen anything strange anymore (and that's the one I stick with).

Have you tried the simulator already? Also try a Go reinstall, it worked for me. Firmware reinstall, RC update, RC rebinding, IMU calibration, it all didn't help, but reinstall of Go solved everything for me.

Thanks for the heads up. Did you clear the cache in GO before uninstalling? I never use the sim for fear of overheating the motors/ escs. What was it in the sim gave it away? That the landing gear was functioning improperly? That was quite a deduction!

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up. Did you clear the cache in GO before uninstalling? I never use the sim for fear of overheating the motors/ escs. What was it in the sim gave it away? That the landing gear was functioning improperly? That was quite a deduction!
The motors and ESC's are not used in the flight sim. So just fire it up, it only uses the flight controller from the I1. But you can check all the Go settings and if all control signals are translated correctly.
Your sim flights are also logged in Go since one of the latest updates so you can replay everything. You can even check out POI, waypoint, homelock and (new) courselock, and see how it works. It's like flying VLOS. Pretty accurate actually.

There were a bunch of things I noticed that time in the sim. It was in Atti all the time, no matter what mode, even while in the Sim it always has all the sats it wants. Auto landing gear did stupid things even though I had switched it off. I'm pretty sure it would have been exactly like this in real life.

The motors and ESC's are not used in the flight sim. So just fire it up, it only uses the flight controller from the I1. But you can check all the Go settings and if all control signals are translated correctly.
Your sim flights are also logged in Go since one of the latest updates so you can replay everything. You can even check out POI, waypoint, homelock and (new) courselock, and see how it works. It's like flying VLOS. Pretty accurate actually.

There were a bunch of things I noticed that time in the sim. It was in Atti all the time, no matter what mode, even while in the Sim it always has all the sats it wants. Auto landing gear did stupid things even though I had switched it off. I'm pretty sure it would have been exactly like this in real life.

I didn't clear the cache before reinstalling Go.

I didn't clear the cache before reinstalling Go.

Thanks for the advice. I uninstalled both apps, the Android on my phone and the one on my ipad. Reinstalled and everything seems normal except that it cycles poor signal/ high interference on the controller a few times after startup though not while it's in the air. I kept it pretty close initially, but will take it to the park later to stretch its legs and test signal strength.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JudyLions