Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

BVLOS approved in Az for Airobotics

Reaction score
Great Article, it was only a matter of time... electronics slowly developing into fully autonomous, no-pilot, BVLOS flight missions.

Airobotics has obtained a BVLOS waiver for BVLOS, Over Humans, and Observer Not required to be in line of sight. The drone doesn't even need to be initially located in the same location as flight monitor / pilot. This is an Israeli company that has loose ties with EverySight whom makes augmented reality systems and recently entered the USA with Bicycle Racing HUD glasses called the Raptor and is the child company of the Israeli Elbit Systems, the company that designs and manufactures pretty much 100% of the NATO Military HUD systems for Aviation and Navel: Jets, Heli, Bombers, Drones, Submarine Drones, etc.

This company has been coming on extremely strong Internationally, it's now made it's way into the USA market.
Airobotics Receives Unique FAA Waiver for Arizona Drone Flights
Per the article; State & Local Govt are encouraged and looking forward to work with BVLOS Drones.

Airbotics Goal: provide drones without the need of pilot... truly fully autonomous computerized flight missions that can be located elsewhere from the Flight HQ by providing self-contained Drone Habitats. Similar technology to a few military BVLOS units, but several jumps forward into the autonomous technology and remote flight centers (developed several aspects of technology for DOD for years). This advanced BVLOS Computerized Autonomous format not in USA yet... but has been successfully deployed in other countries; is well on it's way into USA market. Interestedly, one of their positive points "Marketed' is that it provides a safer, on-demand and higher reliability compared to Sub-Contracted Drone Pilots.

For a quick intro, play the video clip at the Airobotics Website's Main page.
Automated Industrial Drones | Airobotics

I got a kick out of how they justified what must be a massive price tag.

“There are several reasons for why human-operated systems are not ideal,” said Efrat Fenigson, VP Marketing at Airobotics. “One is the cost: employing a pilot to operate a drone is a very expensive thing to do. And you hire a company to provide a drone service, that can cost between $5,000 and $10,000 a day.

Are there really companies out there that are paying $5000-$10,000 a day?
Man I am lucky to get $800 - $1,500 a day.

“There are several reasons for why human-operated systems are not ideal,” said Efrat Fenigson, VP Marketing at Airobotics. “One is the cost: employing a pilot to operate a drone is a very expensive thing to do. And you hire a company to provide a drone service, that can cost between $5,000 and $10,000 a day.

I'm with ya, my little post-retirement 2nd career doesn't approach this level of income...LOL, maybe 10% if lucky, But it keeps me happy! I'm just hoping this level of high tech service touches specialites outside my little service world.

There are very large outfits providing services to highly sensitive companies or large complex companies. It's not noted in this brief article, but I'm sure the high cost comparison is with large platform speciality service drones that even the hardware platform begins in the $20K range before equipped and these demand high service fees. Airobotics compares this to placing 1-n Drone habitats around the complex that can fly based on scheduled program, triggered by an event (alarm, sensor, etc.) or humanly triggered by remote management or lab personal. To obtain that level of availability and prompt service would require a team on the ready at a high price.

What's interesting is the actual drone... a quad. Looks to be about 2-3 times the size of a Phantom. I'm sure it's packed with sophisticated electronics but I'd expect a Hex or Oct... maybe an Octal in a Quad Arm configuration with 4 Push and 4 Pull motors. But for the reliability they're indicating, I'd think they'd be more than a quad configuration.

Now maybe, this is the small platform and they're not showing the larger platforms?

I like the Terminator-like case it comes in and the robotic arm that changes batteries.
Ya, that's pretty cool but also a bit alarming how it actually is broaching on the SciFi Terminator Drones. In a few more years, with the current developments in AI on systems these might even apply their own program modifications for flight operations.

$5k to $10k seems very high for a "a pilot". We consider ourselves near the top of the drone game. We charge $4500/day but there are 2 of us (pilot and camera op) and we work mostly for national car commercials. You've almost certainly seen our footage if you watch TV. Subaru, Jeep, BMW, Dodge, and many more. For example, the forest shots with the green Jeep are ours. And we handle permitting and insurance, both are surprisingly time consuming. So... yeah... they must be flying gold plated drones.

$5k to $10k seems very high for a "a pilot". We consider ourselves near the top of the drone game. We charge $4500/day but there are 2 of us (pilot and camera op) and we work mostly for national car commercials. You've almost certainly seen our footage if you watch TV. Subaru, Jeep, BMW, Dodge, and many more. For example, the forest shots with the green Jeep are ours. And we handle permitting and insurance, both are surprisingly time consuming. So... yeah... they must be flying gold plated drones.

Very Cool shots! I Always look at drone shots to examine how they were put together... how many takes,angles, and footage to make a nice 30 second shot? For cinema work you’re probably up there for sure.

I think their indicated higher rates our based on outside the USA and more focused on large security work for oil or mining operations: diamonds, etc. I doubt if their platforms are even DJI, more large scale too. I’d also assume that fee includes possibly armed combative ready teams. Price more driven by environment, and employers... in that same area, even ground security teams can make 4-10x the average rate. But they have a lot to answer for if breached too.

Dropping 4-12 drone habitats around a compound pulling visual security / monitoring could be a cost savings. I doubt there would be half that rate within other countries or businesses less tense.

Reactions: Phil DeVore
Very Cool shots! I Always look at drone shots to examine how they were put together... how many takes,angles, and footage to make a nice 30 second shot? For cinema work you’re probably up there for sure.

I think their indicated higher rates our based on outside the USA and more focused on large security work for oil or mining operations: diamonds, etc. I doubt if their platforms are even DJI, more large scale too. I’d also assume that fee includes possibly armed combative ready teams. Price more driven by environment, and employers... in that same area, even ground security teams can make 4-10x the average rate. But they have a lot to answer for if breached too.

Dropping 4-12 drone habitats around a compound pulling visual security / monitoring could be a cost savings. I doubt there would be half that rate within other countries or businesses less tense.

Got it. It's a different world. I get myopic in my view of drones sometimes. BTW, we shot all morning for that.

I have a few vehicle shots on my reel. FAR from national stuff, but fun all the same. That said as someone that aspires to do your level of work, I would like to see some of yours. When you get a change it would be great if you would post a link or 2 of a couple of shots that you are proud of.

thx, rb

[emoji23][emoji23] yeah it seems a little steep to me for what they’re providing.

Reactions: dougcjohn
I have a few vehicle shots on my reel. FAR from national stuff, but fun all the same. That said as someone that aspires to do your level of work, I would like to see some of yours. When you get a change it would be great if you would post a link or 2 of a couple of shots that you are proud of.

thx, rb
Thank you for your interest. The easiest way to do that is with our show reel. Some of these shots are from our practice sessions. Some are from commercial shoots, like the Jeeps at 0:15 from the Jurassic Park themed commercial. We've also flown for Nike, California Tourism and the US Navy.

I always hesitate to share our reel. It gets regularly panned in social media... "you're not telling a story", "you haven't done any color correction". Our clients know we don't do either... we hand their DIT the SSD as it comes out of the Inspire. He's often standing there waiting when we land to switch batteries!

This reel gets us jobs.

EOS AERIAL

Reactions: dougcjohn
Thank you for your interest. The easiest way to do that is with our show reel.

I always hesitate to share our reel. It gets regularly panned in social media... "you're not telling a story", "you haven't done any color”

This reel gets us jobs.

EOS AERIAL
Super Reel, enjoyed the scenes, music choice, music timing with wine girl was spot on, and... color & stoy line!

Keep on topic please - this thread is about BVLOS approval.
Not people's showreels.

Thanks

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kurskmvah