Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

C A-F on X5

Strange comment Dennis as 4/3 cameras have been doing C-Af since they were introduced years ago. Tracking is very common on complete with face detection across most of cameras I have looked at. Hunting will always be downside of C-AF with video, even that is getting better.

Buzzcam, your right there are cases where C-AF would be very useful and all 4/3 cameras let you choose focus mode as required. DJI are just learning how to create camera software and they have a VERY long way to go. Maybe one day they will learn about dealing with hot pixels and a bunch of other stuff that is normal on real cameras.

Till then its basically a a good old manual camera that gets us the images/video we want with decent lenses. Just takes a bit of effort and a a bunch of flying/battery time.
I dont know about 4/3 cameras like you do it seems but I dont know of one pro camera that actually tracks focus. The only one I have read that does this is the new 1DX mark 2 Canon. Certainly the Mark 3 doesn't do it. If a GH4 does it then there is no real news of it online as I have looked it up. What I don't get is why someone wants the in focus look anyway. Im not talking about phone cameras.
You say most cameras you have looked at. Name one that is a pro camera that does it. Even the new Sony A711s etc doesn't do it. In fact, reviews say the focus is non existent.

Dennis, a Nikon D7200 is a pro-sumer camera, so low end pro. Nikon D7200: Digital Photography Review scroll down to Autofocus section. Canon 7d Mk II does it as well. These cameras identify the colour of the area you want to keep in focus and track it across the screen.

So to give an example of why. I was filming a combine harvest in a field recently and all my shots had to be kept constant distance as I was working alone. What I wanted to do was fly at an angle across front of it starting close and moving away. This would only her possible with camera operator and follow focus module. Using the 25mm lens and f4 I wanted to have a slightly out of focus back ground. Yes I was using ND filters so I can use wider apertures. Its the wider apertures and different lenses that make the X5 an interesting package.

Is there a software/firmware upgrade, in the works, for the X5 to include continuous auto focus (C-af)?
Not easy to pilot and continuously tapping the screen for refocusing.

The answer to your question is no, unfortunately. No real debate to be had about it. The camera was developed for a drone - i.e. set focus to infinity and forget about it - the OSMO was an afterthought and while it works well currently, continuous AF would be ideal. I do not see any way DJI can add continuous AF to the X5 camera at this stage, nor do I see how a 3rd party developer would be able to.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buzzcam
Dennis, a Nikon D7200 is a pro-sumer camera, so low end pro. Nikon D7200: Digital Photography Review scroll down to Autofocus section. Canon 7d Mk II does it as well. These cameras identify the colour of the area you want to keep in focus and track it across the screen.

So to give an example of why. I was filming a combine harvest in a field recently and all my shots had to be kept constant distance as I was working alone. What I wanted to do was fly at an angle across front of it starting close and moving away. This would only her possible with camera operator and follow focus module. Using the 25mm lens and f4 I wanted to have a slightly out of focus back ground. Yes I was using ND filters so I can use wider apertures. Its the wider apertures and different lenses that make the X5 an interesting package.
I see. I think all you need is the follow focus module? They work very well I have been told.

Strange comment Dennis as 4/3 cameras have been doing C-Af since they were introduced years ago. Tracking is very common on complete with face detection across most of cameras I have looked at. Hunting will always be downside of C-AF with video, even that is getting better.

Buzzcam, your right there are cases where C-AF would be very useful and all 4/3 cameras let you choose focus mode as required. DJI are just learning how to create camera software and they have a VERY long way to go. Maybe one day they will learn about dealing with hot pixels and a bunch of other stuff that is normal on real cameras.

Till then its basically a a good old manual camera that gets us the images/video we want with decent lenses. Just takes a bit of effort and a a bunch of flying/battery time.

While I know it does not shoot 4k but at least looks like a real camera in similar package
AIR A01 | Olympus

While Dennis's advice and solutions are welcomed they were not a direct answer to my question. So I therefore thank you for the reply. Hopefully it will be sooner rather then later. Meanwhile I will have to extend my finger with a stylus and keep tapping...

While Dennis's advice and solutions are welcomed they were not a direct answer to my question. So I therefore thank you for the reply. Hopefully it will be sooner rather then later. Meanwhile I will have to extend my finger with a stylus and keep tapping...
Sorry I cant help much at all but the X5 just doesn't do what you want it to do and The only way I can see you having what you want is with a Ronin and whatever cam you think does auto focus.

So is the trick to hit the infinity button and go? Any time I'm in manual focus mode I never get as good of focus as auto. Never. I've calibrated my lenses countless times. I've used the super special technique here as well. I can only assume my lenses are calibrated as best as I can get them. I do know this, it typically takes forever for the app to stop saying "object to close for calibration" even though I'm looking at something well beyond 50 meters.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lifeisart