Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

CAA flight test

Reaction score
i have my flight test to come soon and need some answers to queries I have if you can assist.

What altitude and distance from the pilot should I be aiming to fly at for the tests? the 50m rule only apes to those not within your control doesn't it?

What's the best means of returning the AC to you for the disorientation test ? I can use all options open to me apparently but what are they ?

How's it done guys?

Thanks

i have my flight test to come soon and need some answers to queries I have if you can assist.

What altitude and distance from the pilot should I be aiming to fly at for the tests? the 50m rule only apes to those not within your control doesn't it?

What's the best means of returning the AC to you for the disorientation test ? I can use all options open to me apparently but what are they ?

How's it done guys?

Thanks
What is CAA?

How's it done guys?

Thanks
Your Ground School should give you all the information you need to answer your questions. You need to apply your training and what you have put into your Ops Manual during the Flight Assessment.

It would not be much of a test if forum members answered your questions. You should be given a full brief to plan for the test and will be expected to fly safely. It is not arduous.

During my test flight in ATTI mode in 7m/s gusting wind, I did manage to lose situation awareness and confused myself as to which direction my I1 was facing and moving. I flipped back to GPS mode, sorted myself out and switched back to ATTI to continue the exercise. I informed the assessor at the time and was praised for taking the appropriate action.

@RGD CAA stands for Civilian Aviation Authority, the UK equivalent to the US FAA.

Last edited:

How's it done guys?

Thanks
As Scotflieger says, your NQE should have fully briefed you on what to expect for your operational assessment. If they haven't they are seriously lacking in their duty of care towards getting you PFAW.
Additionally, assuming you have completed your ground school and passed your theory you should be FULLY conversant with articles 166/7 of the ANO and CAP 722 and sub 7kg UAV regulations with regards to flying in a congested area.

Who are you sitting your test with? I did mine with Resource Group.

What altitude and distance from the pilot should I be aiming to fly at for the tests? 90% of my test was at 20m altitude. Distance from the pilot was around 50M - Obviously variable dependent on the task.

The 50m rule only apes to those not within your control doesn't it? - Correct, the instructors are classed as under your control.

What's the best means of returning the AC to you for the disorientation test? - I don't understand what you mean by this. All of your procedures should be detailed in your FRC's, the instructor will be assessing you against how well you stick to these.

I can use all options open to me apparently but what are they? Your instructor will provide clear instructions throughout the test. Basically just do what he tells you to do and in accordance with your FRCs

How's it done guys? - Mine lasted around four and a half hours, very very thorough. It will start with a mission planning exercise. All entrants prior to me that week had failed before they even got out of the office. Pass rate was apparently around 2 two out of ten for the recent stock of applicants.

Let me know if you have any more questions. I know what it's like when going through this process, I could find very little on the subject prior to my test. Keep calm and good luck!

Stu

What were they failing on Stu? The planning beforehand ?

Apparently. Not identifying everything they need to, not following their FRCs, not demonstrating to the examiner that they are safe to conduct the task given to them basically.

Thanks for the quick reply, at risk of asking a stupid question... What does FRC stand for?
As Scot said, Flight Reference Cards, or Technical specifications or as the CAA now term them, Volume 2 of your Operations manual.

If only they'd get their act into gear on Volume 3...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop