Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Camera not locking into gimbal!

Reaction score
Problem today getting the camera locked into the gimbal. I've probably put it on 20 times but this time I had an issue. Lined the white lines up but could only turn the camera about half way, could not line up white lock line.
I checked for any bent pieces, debris in the gimbal. Nothing.
Called DJI for assistance, they must've thought I was a newbie. They couldn't provide any over the phone help.The gimbal will not lock in place and I don't want to force it.

Any ideas before I send it back to DJI..Thanks

Problem today getting the camera locked into the gimbal. I've probably put it on 20 times but this time I had an issue. Lined the white lines up but could only turn the camera about half way, could not line up white lock line.
Called DJI for assistance, they must've thought I was a newbie. They couldn't provide any over the phone help.The gimbal will not lock in place and I don't want to force it.

I have had this issue as well at one point. The three sliding lock tabs start to loose the black paint finish then friction accures between the gimbal socket lock ring and the gimbal itself. I took a que tip and dabbed the tabs with a very small amount of vasiline. It worked great. Just be sure you use very little so that you do not get any on the main contact pins. Be sure that none of the pins are bent. Also it is known that the rubber foam gasket will start peeling off and can cause the gimbal not to seat correctly. Good luck.

Last edited:
Thanks, I did try that and the gimbal still refused to turn. The gasket is in place although it doesn't fit quite flush, that could be preventing it from locking not sure.

DJI is in the market for newbies, almost everything they do is aimed at the public that doesn't own a drone yet, which is almost 100% of the world population.
And people who refuse to read instruction manuals.
(That's not aimed at you Jimmy :))

Check carefully that the two locating pins are still intact. They protrude out slightly either side of the contact pins on the gimbal socket on the aircraft. There have been instances of these breaking off or partially breaking and preventing gimbals locking into place.
(Also a silicon grease would be better than Vaseline :))

Check carefully that the two locating pins are still intact. They protrude out slightly either side of the contact pins on the gimbal socket on the aircraft. There have been instances of these breaking off or partially breaking and preventing gimbals locking into place.
(Also a silicon grease would be better than Vaseline :))
Thanks, the pins do protrude. Not sure if they are broken and shortened.
What really pisses me off, I called DJI service thinking it might be under warranty. Talked to a nice guy said he would send the RMA, they did then said they would send a fed ex label...nothing... So I try to find the service center in LA..can't find it. May pay to play with drones etc

I have started to have the same problem with my gimbal lock and it is still giving me grief, but I want to say I had DJI work on my Phantom and I had asked for them to send me the parts removed they agreed. I got my drone back and no parts I wrote them a lot and got a lot of answers but no parts, I contacted PayPal because I had paid through them and they filed a complaint, after the 90 days of nothing I got all my money back and my drone was fixed! So you are taking a chance if you send it back to DJI. They were not paying attention and it cost them every answer was different they didn’t know anything about the parts but they had my letter and the response they sent me.
My Inspire is still not fully locked in the pins are fine and the cover lets it lock but the camera is not letting me go farther than half way. I don’t want to force anything, but I took it off the thing this morning and in the afternoon it refused to go past half way. I have a few Phantoms but the Inspire is still new to me and I really like it in my fleet.
Good luck with your latching I have to go back to mine.

I went back and got a tooth pick and some lube after a lite amount on the tabs and put it back in and the lock was able to close, the little amount did the trick it was hard at the spot but it was able to keep moving and it latched again!
Keep at it and it should go, I couldn’t find anything holding it up and it was frustrating but a break and come back to try it again and success!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry