Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Catch / Release by hand

Too late - I've already come up with a solution :p

5664943-protective-welding-mask-and-green-used-welding-gloves.jpg

You stole my idea!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;) Not really. Hilarious though! :)

I know it does not solve most people's problems but at least for those working in teams, hand catching with two hands by holding opposite feet with the gear down is pretty easy. You just need an operator you trust... I wouldn't catch this thing one handed.

Good point Mazz. But, my idea makes it a bit safer for the assistant, keeping their hands and face away from the props.

if it hovers very efficiently close to the ground, do you think you could catch it from above? then the props are properly out of the way. this would work for those in a boat-type scenario, where it's possibly to get it in close, but the landing surface is not flat or large enough in one area. Looks like it might be possible too.

Reactions: NEJO/Wisconsin
I do most of my flying off a boat and had no choice but to hand catch the P2V 100% of the time. I have a small landing area, but was concerned about the movement of the boat underneath the P2V. It was too difficult to rely on GPS to hold position. No way I can self catch this baby.

Now that we have an optical sensor, anybody know if, once we hover above the boat's landing area, if we can disable GPS and permit the optical sensor to keep the Inspire over the "drifting" landing spot. Too cold in NY for me to try.

This is a photo of my cousin. My cousin says to me 'Hey, we can practise doing hand-catches with your Inspire', I say 'No Djibuti (means Worthy Goat Farmer), that machine from the sky, it can hurt you real bad so you cannot feel the warmth of your fat wife and you can only yell at the goats in your herd instead of caress them lovingly like you do"

Anyway, crazy Djibuti sneaks into my hut while I am away and he tries to hand catch my Inspire. This is him now:

amputee.jpg

I hand catch the Phantom 2 and S1000 ALL THE TIME and no my time is not coming thats ridiculous. It is a tried and tested way of landing MANY quadcopters. Now the inspire 1 is different in that is landing gear is much wider then the phantoms and that they move around and not great place to grab but landing is EASY compared to the phantom. But there are many instances that a hand catch will be needed. or a hand launch. i work in the Bush sometimes for Oil rigs / companies and there are many places i have to try to fly from and i can get a clear open area to Launch or land from so a hand launch is a 100% must. I have not hand caught my inspire yet as i have only flown a few times in testing and learning but it will come a point i will have too try it.

I say its pilot and or catcher error when they F&*% up. ;like the picture above. i almost can imagine how to f that up so bad.
noobs is prob the reason though.

I hand catch the Phantom 2 and S1000 ALL THE TIME and no my time is not coming thats ridiculous. It is a tried and tested way of landing MANY quadcopters. Now the inspire 1 is different in that is landing gear is much wider then the phantoms and that they move around and not great place to grab but landing is EASY compared to the phantom. But there are many instances that a hand catch will be needed. or a hand launch. i work in the Bush sometimes for Oil rigs / companies and there are many places i have to try to fly from and i can get a clear open area to Launch or land from so a hand launch is a 100% must. I have not hand caught my inspire yet as i have only flown a few times in testing and learning but it will come a point i will have too try it.

I say its pilot and or catcher error when they F&*% up. ;like the picture above. i almost can imagine how to f that up so bad.
noobs is prob the reason though.

Like trying to hand catch your lawnmower......... **** that.

Haze,
I completely agree with your statements!!
I've flown my phantom crazy amounts over the past year and can easily count on 1 hand the number of time I landed without catching...
Now... I am not saying I could never get caught and cut but if you stay awake/aware and practice some safe guidelines when doing this it is not hard at all.

The biggest thing that I adhere to when catching, actually grabbing--> read below (and this applies to the time or two I have done it with the inspire also) is:
#1. back the copter up so that the rear is facing you and stop it just within reach but well above your head and in front of you by a few feet.
#2. after you get a steady hover... YOU WALK to the copter, reach up and grab it like you mean it.. Be confident in your grab because if you are not the chances of you screwing up are much higher!!

You may ask why I back the copter up when bringing it to the point that I will walk to it and grab it.
If wind is strong or the copter begins to drift in a direction that you are not happy with, it is always easier to fly away with left being left and right being right than to try to dodge a copter possibly drifting towards you while also remembering that your controls are reversed...

Jamie

Hmm.
Not possible to launch the inspire from a boat.
BECAUSE the IMU only work (and initialize) on steady and level surface.
Any attempt... on a rocking boat or non level and flat. .. magnetic free board. ..or any movement during start up will fail self checking and red flashes will appear.
Must use steady platform in order to launch.
Protip

Reactions: lucadeceres
To hand catch, I keep gear raised (very important!) and lower it above me just in reach. I grab the battery area tight, then cut motors and allow it to swing down once it stops spinning.

I used to always hand catch my vision+, but this thing lands so stable, I only do so when it's too dusty or unlevel to land.

If you have one hand on the inspire battery to catch it then how do you kill the motors? Don't you kind of need two hands on the remote to do that?

I catch my Inspire all the time. Sometimes I can't land due to rural area and undeveloped ground. I haul a round plastic folding table as my launch pad but sometimes it is just to rugged. I bring the Inspire back, hover about a foot higher than I am tall, reach up and firmly grasp the bottom of the battery, then with my other hand I bring the throttle all the way down till motors shut down. I do use the control strap to hold the controller.
Works every time.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jenuk