Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Catch / Release by hand

Reaction score
Over the past year I have perfected the catch technique for "landing" my phantom.
In fact, so much so that in the rare circumstance I decide to actually land the phantom I get way more nervous this catching it.
I've also flown the phantom is some serious constant windy conditions and in those instances I would release the phantom (with a helper) instead of taking off. This extra space (5 - 6') between the ground and the launching spot would help ensure that any wind gust would not dip it or throw it into some obstacle that may be close by.

That being said my biggest concern with the inspire is that while I have seen 1 video of a catch, it was with a helper and looking at the design I am not sold on the ability to catch this thing solo??? I also don't know if release is possible either with the funky design.

What are you thoughts/experiences?

Over the past year I have perfected the catch technique for "landing" my phantom.
In fact, so much so that in the rare circumstance I decide to actually land the phantom I get way more nervous this catching it.
I've also flown the phantom is some serious constant windy conditions and in those instances I would release the phantom (with a helper) instead of taking off. This extra space (5 - 6') between the ground and the launching spot would help ensure that any wind gust would not dip it or throw it into some obstacle that may be close by.

That being said my biggest concern with the inspire is that while I have seen 1 video of a catch, it was with a helper and looking at the design I am not sold on the ability to catch this thing solo??? I also don't know if release is possible either with the funky design.

What are you thoughts/experiences?
DO NOT TRY TO LAUNCH OR CATCH THIS DRONE FROM YOUR HAND! It is very dangerous and the propellers can split your hand open! Trust me I already did it to myself.

I completely agree with your statement but this is true with any platform..... Including the phantom!
When you busted your hand were you trying to catch or release?

I completely agree with your statement but this is true with any platform..... Including the phantom!
When you busted your hand were you trying to catch or release?
I was releasing, when the engines started they revved up quickly and the gyro tried to make the aircraft level so it went back so I put up my hand to stop it from hitting my face. And the probs are so thin they go trough skin like a hot knife through butter!

The landing gear on the inspire is more than twice as wide as the Phantom. It makes it incredibly stable for landing even if it's windy. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't attempt trying to grab it during landing though…

I don't see why or how you would want to hand launch, especially with the gear down and having to do a CSC with both hands to get the motor started.

Hand catching during landing with the landing gear UP is fine (literally done close to overhead) BUT beware the motors MUST be cut out before you lower the craft. Otherwise, the auto landing gear descent would bring the props to the level of your hands.

I tried hand catching on a calm day. I would think this is dangerous in windy conditions.

If you have to hand catch anything then should you really be flying anything? This is what sorts the men from the boys. Learn to take off and land unaided, it will make you a better pilot in the long run.

it's not a case of not being able to take off and land - surely it's about landing in restricted areas. For example, I plan to film from a small boat - and there isn't really an area that is wide enough to land in the boat. in that situation, having it hover overhead and be caught is really the only option. I've seen a few videos of it being done though. Doesn't look too bad when legs are up. Just don't want it to go wrong - I know that from experience of having near enough taken the top of my finger off, with a much less powered quadcopter. never known pain like it.

guess I'll wear some of these the first few times (and some glasses!).

Nubuckeagleglove.JPG

I value my eyes and arms, but also value not dropping an inspire off the side of a boat!

incidentally, what's the issue with launching off a moving boat? is it that the GPS hold would cause the inspire to want to stay where it is, even though the launch platform is moving? Guess taking off in Atti would solve that right?

I always handcatch my Phantom no problem,but my Inspire on the ground.The Inspire is much more stable and very easy to land.Also not as easy as my Phantom because much more weight.I do handcatch my Phantom because the camera is to fragile even in grass.And I take it with me when I'm hiking so surface is not always good to land.
But the best thing is to land it on a good flat surface.Better be safe

Why i became so proficient at hand catch/release was out of necessity...
On a vacation we had plans to launch from a boat that is mocked up to look like a pirate ship.. There is no flat area and literally a break of about 5 feet in between the sails/ropes where you can launch from / land at.. Another one was a small catamaran with about the same area to launch/land.

BTW.. Got the inspire last night.. First landing I decided to try for a catch.. Nailed it..... Now is it something I would recommend.. Absolutely not.. A completely different animal from the phantom. I caught on the battery compartment/vision positioning system. As soon as I grabbed it, the landing gear started coming down but luckily I have long arms so I was in no danger of it hitting me so I just held it tight may hand wrapped around the battery/battery compartment until the blades shut down!!

I definitely agree that landing on the ground is smother with the inspire than the phantom..

I'm designing a mechanical solution to hand catching on boats. Stay tuned. If all goes well, I should have a prototype in the next few weeks. Necessity is always the mother of invention. :)

Reactions: likeaninja
I'm designing a mechanical solution to hand catching on boats. Stay tuned. If all goes well, I should have a prototype in the next few weeks. Necessity is always the mother of invention. :)

Too late - I've already come up with a solution :p

5664943-protective-welding-mask-and-green-used-welding-gloves.jpg

Reactions: gwhiz2k
I know it does not solve most people's problems but at least for those working in teams, hand catching with two hands by holding opposite feet with the gear down is pretty easy. You just need an operator you trust... I wouldn't catch this thing one handed.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry