Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Certified Canadian UAV Pilot Looking to Operate in the US.

Reaction score
Hello,

I am currently certified to fly commercially in Canada and I am looking into branching out to work in the states. Is there any crossover certificate/exemptions I should know about or would I simply have to write the exam for FAA Part 107?

Thanks!

Hello,

I am currently certified to fly commercially in Canada and I am looking into branching out to work in the states. Is there any crossover certificate/exemptions I should know about or would I simply have to write the exam for FAA Part 107?

Thanks!

An sUAS operation requires a Foreign Aircraft Permit if it involves a civil aircraft that is:
  • Registered in a foreign country, or
  • Owned, controlled, or operated by someone who is not a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
If either criteria is met, the Remote PIC should obtain a Foreign Aircraft Permit before conducting any operations.

Additionally, I found this provision:

Last edited:
As RMartin points out, both the aircraft and you need to be legit. If you are doing commercial ops then you will need the 107 license. There is no shortcut that I am aware of for foreign pilots. In fact, after you pass the test you still have to get TSA to give thumbs up. This is an automatic part of the process, so most people don't realize that it is happening.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catalyst