Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Civilian drone crashes army helicopter

That would have been a completely different story if the drone had crashed into the tail rotor!
When will these idiots ever learn?
The answer is .......never

Built Ford tough. That's how America is made:p
500' collision, I doubt that's factual. If so not even Ruprecht could this person/idoit.

Not much damage but that 100,000 dollar prop has to be changed now. I see a forced drone registration in the near future along with who knows what else. All because of one stupid moron that probably doesn't even know what a sectional is let alone being able to read one.

Was bound to happen. This is why our regs are getting more strict here in Canada.
We will need permit/licence to fly anything over 1kg soon.

A piece of the drone bounced off the rotor and became lodged in the aircraft.

I'd guess on the side of the chopper.

Over a beach in Staten Island. Bad luck.

Reactions: SanCap
“As that drone came apart, a piece of it was actually found upon landing up on the transmission deck, right at the bottom of the main rotor system,” he said. “Which is very distressing that something would be able to get in there. And that has always been the thing that we worry about constantly.”

Taken from the article, "The NTSB’s investigation is ongoing and investigators are reviewing air traffic control radar data, flight data from the helicopter, the flight data logs provided by the drone operator and FAA airspace and temporary flight restriction documents."

Do the findings of the NTSB investigations get published?
I think it's interesting that the operator had flight logs.

Taken from the article, "The NTSB’s investigation is ongoing and investigators are reviewing air traffic control radar data, flight data from the helicopter, the flight data logs provided by the drone operator and FAA airspace and temporary flight restriction documents."

Do the findings of the NTSB investigations get published?
I think it's interesting that the operator had flight logs.

They do publish their preliminary and final reports, UAS vs Military aircraft is probably new territory for the NTSB so we will see if it gets posted with all the other manned aircraft incident/accidents. There are more accidents with manned aircraft than one can imagine. Good reading here, https://www.ntsb.gov/_layouts/ntsb.aviation/month.aspx

Weiss said that DJI provided information that was instrumental in identifying the pilot of the drone, though he was not able to answer many questions about the details, noting that the investigation remains at a preliminary stage.

The report is out . 58 year old guy flying a bit to far away and not keeping n vls of his aircraft. Note to people. Helicopters do not fly at the 500 foot msl mark and above all the time. Doesn’t say what they plan on doing to him yet. I’m guessing make him at least pay for the 100,000 rotor blade his drone dented.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defenderschool